PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for getting good bark?

pmad
08-27-2015, 11:03 AM
Mine sucks
What are your tips to good bark?

Fwismoker
08-27-2015, 11:08 AM
Ya know people talk about rubs for bark and my bark mostly comes from heat. The natural sugars from the maillard reaction and juices combine to make some tasty bark but direct heat and some higher temps will help.

pjtexas1
08-27-2015, 11:22 AM
brisket? ribs? butts? do you foil? what type of cooker?

First thing would be to not wrap or not wrap as soon. If you are using foil that is a whole other issue. Another thing might be your rub. Try a little more sugar since it burns easier. I have cooked at all temps from 225-400 and bark can be good at any temp. Give us some more details and somebody will have your answer.:thumb:

cjtiger300
08-27-2015, 11:25 AM
Are you drying the meat after you rinse it off?

Fwismoker
08-27-2015, 11:31 AM
I agree you can get good bark at any of those temps, just takes longer at the lower temps. The more direct the heat the better/faster though imo. I notice when i hang meats they don't get near the bark as they do on a cook grate because the profile of the meat is such that it isn't taking the brunt of the direct heat energy.

I'd imagine in a cooker like a WSM with a water pan you'd definitely need more of the sugary rubs to get a better bark.

Shagdog
08-27-2015, 12:01 PM
Ditch the foil, try cooking without any wrapping. Makes a world of difference

pmad
08-27-2015, 12:13 PM
ribs, brisket, butts
BGE XL with plate setter
I don't wash meat as it spreads contamination.
I do pat it dry with a paper towel before applying rub.
Ribs at 225*
Brisket and butts at 250*

After 2.5 hours I foil ribs for about 45min then back on for another 30min or so.

At some point, I just go by looks and feel, I butcher wrap brisket

Butts I leave alone.

pjtexas1
08-27-2015, 12:29 PM
ribs, brisket, butts
BGE XL with plate setter
I don't wash meat as it spreads contamination.
I do pat it dry with a paper towel before applying rub.
Ribs at 225*
Brisket and butts at 250*

After 2.5 hours I foil ribs for about 45min then back on for another 30min or so.

At some point, I just go by looks and feel, I butcher wrap brisket

Butts I leave alone.

We may need a BGE expert here...

Ribs: I would cut back on the time in foil and add that time to the end of the cook where they are unwrapped. I cook my ribs a lot hotter but only foil for 10-15 minutes. I am trying to add flavor not trying to speed up the cook. Any longer over 325 and the ribs fall apart. I think at 225 you could get away with 30 minutes in foil. If you are not adding anything to the foil then maybe try naked the whole cook.

Brisket: If you are having issues with BP and soft/mushy bark then maybe leave them unwrapped until the bark is set really good.

Butts: if they go naked the whole time and the bark does not set then maybe we have an issue with too much moisture. This just sounds odd to me.

How are you measuring the temp in the cooker?

Fwismoker
08-27-2015, 12:36 PM
Just thinking to pj's point the biggest contributor might be moisture.

1) Kamado's are low airflow cookers which could contribute to not drying outside of the meat to get that good bark.

A solution might be to pre dry the meat by sitting in the fridge unwrapped like you might do for chicken skin.

In addition to that maybe a higher cook temp and rubs with higher turbinado sugar content can't hurt...excluding brisket of course.

krex1010
08-27-2015, 02:52 PM
Avoid foil if possible, I know lots of people make amazing BBQ with foil, but foil causes soggy bark no way around it, if you must foil ribs take them off the heat and open the foil and let them cool for at least 20 mins or so, stoke your coals and then once the ribs have cooled and set a bit, grill them directly over the hot coals to firm and crisp the bark back up. For butts try trimming the fat cap down to a 1/4 inch and include some sugar in your rub. No experience with the bge but you may want to try higher temps

landarc
08-27-2015, 02:56 PM
Define what you mean by 'good bark', I have found people vary on what they mean by good bark.

When I say something had good bark, I mean this...
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u105/landarc/ribbone2_zps19b77376.jpg

Bludawg
08-27-2015, 03:02 PM
Use less rub, by exposing more of the flesh your bark will form. IMO 225 is warming the stuff to death cook north of 275. Flowerpot cookers seem to hold more humidity Try your bonz without the party hat material you can make good ribs without it.

JS-TX
08-27-2015, 03:39 PM
^What BD says.. cook at 275*, no spritzing either. Try go without wrapping anything either and see if you like the results.

Radio
08-27-2015, 05:57 PM
Try rubbing butts and ribs with yellow mustard to hold the dry rub better and wait until the rub looks wet before putting in the smoker. You will get a good "bark" and won't taste the mustard in the finished product.

Like Bludawg, I cook at higher temps and subscribe to his theory of "225 is warming the stuff to death"

mikemci
08-27-2015, 06:37 PM
No wrap and black ops.

pmad
08-27-2015, 08:31 PM
I'll give it a go.
I think moisture and temp may be the culprit

Thanks

lankster35
08-27-2015, 08:38 PM
I would only add that good bark doesn't come from cooking hotter or adding more sugar because it "burns" faster. Good bark comes from cooking at a good temp with a good rub and letting the smoke and rub produce a good colored bark. When I see a charcoal black colored brisket I choke. Just my Texas opinion.

darkoozy
08-27-2015, 11:22 PM
In my opinion you are wrapping way too early. Let it ride naked for 80% of the cook, then wrap. Moisture is not your problem. I smoke in a water/cabinet smoker and will smoke a brisket for 10 hours before I wrap it.

Gore
08-27-2015, 11:25 PM
Salt

pjtexas1
08-28-2015, 12:16 AM
In my opinion you are wrapping way too early. Let it ride naked for 80% of the cook, then wrap. Moisture is not your problem. I smoke in a water/cabinet smoker and will smoke a brisket for 10 hours before I wrap it.

What about the butt that goes naked the whole cook? That's the one that's messing with my mind. :loco:

darkoozy
08-28-2015, 09:30 AM
What about the butt that goes naked the whole cook? That's the one that's messing with my mind. :loco:

Agreed. I missed that part of the cook.

More details on the cook might help with better suggestions...

A butt running naked at 250 should end up with some nice bark on it...

pmad
08-28-2015, 11:02 AM
Agreed. I missed that part of the cook.

More details on the cook might help with better suggestions...

A butt running naked at 250 should end up with some nice bark on it...

It gets some, but only surface thick.
I'm looking to get that thick bark.

darkoozy
08-28-2015, 12:53 PM
It gets some, but only surface thick.
I'm looking to get that thick bark.

how big is the pork butt, and how long you cooking it?

Tom Sellecks Mustache
08-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Maybe to get a thicker bark you should try cutting back most of the fat cap and then cross hashing the meat and getting the rub down in all the crevices. More surface area = more bark