PDA

View Full Version : First go on the smokey mountain this weekend

guest5234
08-27-2015, 03:28 AM
Feeling slightly nervous as I have my neighbour around to taste my offerings. This is my first fire up and I am going to cook a pork loin joint with a nice bit of fat on the outside which I hope turns nice and crispy. Any suggestions on a good recipe folks? I do not want to make it to smokey first time. Is it possible to also roast potatoes in the smokey as well? Cheers guys.

IamMadMan
08-27-2015, 05:57 AM
I would suggest using hot and fast with the pork loin. While it can be cooked low and slow, there is less of a chance for it to become dry for the beginner when using hot and fast.

Brining can also help with retaining moisture and adding flavor of the cooked product.

Good Luck and keep us posted...

krex1010
08-27-2015, 06:21 AM
Hot and fast is the only way you will get that fat crisped up, might want to give it some time right over the coals to start, should help crisp the fat, then move it up away from the coals to finish, I would cook it to an internal temp of 145-150f. Since its your first cook and you're nervous about having company, I'd do the roasted potatoes in the oven rather than trying to cook multiple items for a guest in a cooker you haven't used before. If you really want to do the potatoes in the BBQ then I'd suggest making campfire potatoes (red or gold potatoes split in half, season the potatoes as you would your roasted potatoe, put an onion slice on top of one half, a slice of butter on top of the other, then put the potato back together like a sandwich, wrap in foil and cook until soft. Super easy, very tasty, I've cooked these potatoes over a campfire, in my woodstove when the power is out, kinda foolproof, and you won't have to worry about trying to get golden brown roasted potatoes of the BBQ, which I've never tried but I can see being a challenge.

RapidCityBBQ
08-27-2015, 06:34 AM
Brining is a great idea for loin. Also, cook it to medium so it retains moisture. Do that and your neighbor will become your best friend.

guest5234
08-27-2015, 02:02 PM
Hot and fast is the only way you will get that fat crisped up, might want to give it some time right over the coals to start, should help crisp the fat, then move it up away from the coals to finish, I would cook it to an internal temp of 145-150f. Since its your first cook and you're nervous about having company, I'd do the roasted potatoes in the oven rather than trying to cook multiple items for a guest in a cooker you haven't used before. If you really want to do the potatoes in the BBQ then I'd suggest making campfire potatoes (red or gold potatoes split in half, season the potatoes as you would your roasted potatoe, put an onion slice on top of one half, a slice of butter on top of the other, then put the potato back together like a sandwich, wrap in foil and cook until soft. Super easy, very tasty, I've cooked these potatoes over a campfire, in my woodstove when the power is out, kinda foolproof, and you won't have to worry about trying to get golden brown roasted potatoes of the BBQ, which I've never tried but I can see being a challenge.

Sounds good. Would the potatoes in foil be OK on the middle grill?

krex1010
08-27-2015, 02:31 PM
They should be fine there

Bludawg
08-27-2015, 03:53 PM
Make a rub> Salt, Lemon pepper & rosemary and oregano make it a wet rub with some olive oil.Coat it well & Cook it to an IT of 135 remove it from the pit wrap it tight in foil and a couple of old towels and let it rest for 40 min before serving Carry over will finish it to 140-145. It will come out nice & moist & tender.

Pair it with olive oil & rosemary oven roasted taters. Pre-heat a baking sheet in a 425 oven. cube the taters into 3/4 chunks, toss them with olive oil rosemary salt & black pepper pour them out on the preheated sheet pan in a single layer cook for 15 min turn them once and cook 15 min more.