PDA

View Full Version : Need Shipping Options For My Upcoming Shirley Build

AZRaptor
08-27-2015, 01:52 AM
So I'm slated to have my Shirley smoker built in the next couple months and need to figure out how to get it out here to AZ. I looked at driving out to meet the crew and pick it up, but I'm looking at $650+ just in gas for the round trip. I know uship.com is an option, but I've never used the site before and wondered if people had specific movers/haulers they would recommend.

With all of the custom pits being built these days they can't all be getting picked up in person, so I know there's got to be some folks out there with some recommendations.

bonehead762
08-27-2015, 03:10 AM
Whew! That's a very long drive.

riblover81
08-27-2015, 06:08 AM
Be a great road trip IMO, plenty of BBQ joints to hit along the way!

JohnnyB
08-27-2015, 06:25 AM
Most shipping places get $1/lb (give or take). Factor that in, and see what works best. Can you miss work without losing too much time/money? That being said, like riblover said, you could turn that into an EPIC road trip. Me personally, I would drive out. If you have never travelled with at smoker attached to your truck, the looks and attention you get are priceless. Even people who don't use them are amazed by the sight of them. And im sure the Shirley you're getting is gonna be quite a sight.

DanB
08-27-2015, 07:19 AM
Hi All I'm in the same situtation, need options for shipping a Lang 36" Patio to North New Jersey 07652.
Thanks DanB

Shagdog
08-27-2015, 07:59 AM
$650 in gas doesn't sound like a bad cost to me.. I doubt you're going to find anyone willing to ship it to you for less.. From Chicago down to Tuscaloosa and back only cost me about $350 in diesel to drive it... Lowest shipping I saw was $7-800.. Its a great time to do it yourself, as gas prices are so low.

Although.. On looking at a map, your drive is loooonnng! 23 hours, 1650 miles each way. I don't blame you for shopping around. There was a thread a little while back about shipping options that had some good stuff in it. I'll try to find it

Edit: Found it!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204201

AZRaptor
08-27-2015, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the link Shagdog, I'm reading through it now.

Ideally I think it would be awesome to go pick it up, but I also don't own a trailer for towing a patio model, but it would be an excuse to switch over to a trailer model which I've gone back and forth on doing.

SmokinBuddha
08-27-2015, 09:53 AM
Doesn't Shirley Fabrication offer you any shipping options? They probably have better shipping prices since they ship a lot of smokers .

AZRaptor
08-27-2015, 10:25 AM
I emailed Tyler to get the dimensions and weight of the smoker so I could check around for shipping rates and he didn't mention it so I don't believe so.

pjtexas1
08-27-2015, 10:48 AM
That is twice as long as my trip. Even if you drive 12 hours and sleep 8 that is 3 solid days. Throw in stops for food, gas, bathroom, etc. and you are eating up most of a week. If you are going to drive then you might as well make a vacation/road trip out of it and hit some sights on the way there. My biggest fear would be leaving the shirley in the hotel parking lot. I would probably sleep in the bed of the truck just to make sure it was safe.:crazy:

Do you know anybody in Texas? Texas looks like the half-way point. Maybe they could get it and keep it for you to pick up? that would make it a weekend trip for you and very do-able.

cjs27410
08-27-2015, 11:21 AM
Check out Averitt 1-800-283-7488 and/or Old Dominion Trucking. Both of them ship small loads.

cjtiger300
08-27-2015, 11:26 AM
AAA Cooper is another option.

AZRaptor
08-27-2015, 02:03 PM
That is twice as long as my trip. Even if you drive 12 hours and sleep 8 that is 3 solid days. Throw in stops for food, gas, bathroom, etc. and you are eating up most of a week. If you are going to drive then you might as well make a vacation/road trip out of it and hit some sights on the way there. My biggest fear would be leaving the shirley in the hotel parking lot. I would probably sleep in the bed of the truck just to make sure it was safe.:crazy:

Do you know anybody in Texas? Texas looks like the half-way point. Maybe they could get it and keep it for you to pick up? that would make it a weekend trip for you and very do-able.

Yep, it starts to add up quick. I do kinda know some folks in TX, but not enough to ask them to drive to Alabama for me, nor would they have a means to haul it.

After seeing toys4dlr's Shirley in person I decided I really wanted to get one since I had been thinking about trying an offset for my next smoker type. He mentioned it was pricy to get it out here, so I'm not expecting it to be cheap to ship. I even looked around for a local pit builder, but only found the Chiricahua Smoker from azbbqgrills, but it's a vertical offset and I really wanted a horizontal one so I didn't follow up on that.

Thanks for the referrals. I'll follow up with the couple mentioned so far as well as those in the thread Shagdog linked once I get the specs back from Tyler.

cayenne
08-27-2015, 03:01 PM
Hi all,

It has been quite a long time since I"ve been on the forums here..and have lost track of some of the vernacular...and acronyms.

What is a "Shirley"? Is it a brand or style of smoker?

Thanks in advance!

cayenne

landarc
08-27-2015, 03:08 PM
Hi all,

It has been quite a long time since I"ve been on the forums here..and have lost track of some of the vernacular...and acronyms.

What is a "Shirley"? Is it a brand or style of smoker?

Thanks in advance!

cayenne
Shirley Fabrication makes smokers (and truck bumpers) in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The owner is TuscaloosaQ on the Brethren, OUtstanding rigs

AZRaptor
08-27-2015, 03:09 PM
A "Shirley" or SF smoker, or Shirley Fab smoker, is a reverse flow horizontal offset smoker custom built by the good folks at Shirley Fabrication in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

EDIT: I was just a bit too slow. That's what I get for spellchecking.

Fwismoker
08-27-2015, 03:14 PM
This reminds me of that old saying of putting the cart in front of the horse. :laugh:

Not blaming you for wanting a Shirley & I hope you find the best shipping option!

AZRaptor
08-27-2015, 03:42 PM
This reminds me of that old saying of putting the cart in front of the horse. :laugh:

Not blaming you for wanting a Shirley & I hope you find the best shipping option!

Like I said, toys4dlr told me how much it cost him to get it out here and I don't mind paying it, just don't want to pay more than I need to hence the desire to get suggestions for shopping it around. Once I have the specs and an expected availability for pickup I'll throw it up on USHIP and see if I get lucky with a great deal, but it doesn't hurt to do a lil shopping around through other channels.

buzz53
08-27-2015, 03:54 PM
What are you getting? Trailer model? Will be out that way middle of Nov. maybe able to fit it in. Buzz

Bludawg
08-27-2015, 04:11 PM
Greyhound to Bama U-Haul it back

From Chandler AZ to my house is 18 hrs non stop I've done it many times "T" town to my house is 14 hrs

Peterock4040
08-27-2015, 05:49 PM
If your pit is a patio model then the best option is an LTL carrier like South Eastern Freight, SWMT or Estes. LTL carriers will pick up your smoker at the shop and deliver it to your driveway. Request a lift gate service if its going to your home, if you can have it delivered to a location with a loading dock or forklift delivery will be cheaper. Ask your builder for Exact dimensions and weights as these details factor into the price, have them put it on a pallet for you, if its a pit on a trailer U ship will be your way to go.

dport7
08-27-2015, 06:15 PM
Uship isn't bad, a fella I know does it when he travels. depending on the amount of loads, you could get a good price, just insure it heavily with whoever you use.

smokerpa
08-27-2015, 08:06 PM
I had a patio model on golf cart wheels. Got concerned about hauling it with a trailer. Switched it to a trailer model. Pick it up next month. 958 miles one way. I will drive down and back in a 36 hour window.

Suck it up buttercup and make the drive. HAHA. Just kidding.

Tango Joe
08-27-2015, 08:42 PM
For us it was an 1,100 mile trip each way to Tuscaloosa and I will say that meeting the Shirley team was the best.
A road trip is always great if you can swing it and the hospitality was superb!
Congrats on joining the Shirley Family.

AZRaptor
08-27-2015, 11:12 PM
Greyhound to Bama U-Haul it back

From Chandler AZ to my house is 18 hrs non stop I've done it many times "T" town to my house is 14 hrs

I thought about doing a one-way trip, but apparently renting a uhaul in AL and driving it to AZ runs $1150 for a 15' truck with an EZ Load ramp. So that's a no go.

AZRaptor
08-27-2015, 11:35 PM
If your pit is a patio model then the best option is an LTL carrier like South Eastern Freight, SWMT or Estes. LTL carriers will pick up your smoker at the shop and deliver it to your driveway. Request a lift gate service if its going to your home, if you can have it delivered to a location with a loading dock or forklift delivery will be cheaper. Ask your builder for Exact dimensions and weights as these details factor into the price, have them put it on a pallet for you, if its a pit on a trailer U ship will be your way to go.

Using the lowest freight class of 50 and an estimate of 1300lbs (I saw this in the other thread) the LTL estimators are coming in at $1500. It's about $2500 if I use a class of 92.5 or 100 which (from the descriptions) sounds like a more likely classification.

Bludawg
08-28-2015, 01:10 AM
Just a Suggestion call Landstar in JAX Fl. and have them put it up as an LTL / partial load on the flatbed load boards. the rates where cheaper. I used to get LTL loads from them to fill my trailer or build a whole trailer of LTL. freight when I got stuck in a low freight area to get me back to a good area. on the final drop.

palmtreefrb
08-28-2015, 07:56 AM
My Shirley was about $1000 to Southern California about a year and 1/2 ago. Fuel prices are down, it might be better now. I used Craters and Freighters out of Tuscaloosa.
Note: A standard lift gate will not work. They showed up to my house and realized there was no way it was going to fit on the lift gate. They had to find another truck with an oversized lift gate and even that was a challenge. Even with the oversized lift gate it had to be un-crated in the the truck first to roll out on to the lift.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a637/palmtreefrb/Shirley%20Smoker/20140521_094957_zps428aeaac.jpg

pjtexas1
08-28-2015, 08:01 AM
My Shirley was about $1000 to Southern California about a year and 1/2 ago. Fuel prices are down, it might be better now. I used Craters and Freighters out of Tuscaloosa.
Note: A standard lift gate will not work. They showed up to my house and realized there was no way it was going to fit on the lift gate. They had to find another truck with an oversized lift gate and even that was a challenge. Even with the oversized lift gate it had to be un-crated in the the truck first to roll out on to the lift.

It seems like maybe SF would be able to make a deal with Craters and Freighters. Just makes sense.

Fwismoker
08-28-2015, 08:25 AM
It's just time for Paul to open a West location. lol

AZRaptor
08-28-2015, 08:31 AM
Thanks palmtreefrb. I saw Bigr314 also used Caters and Freighters in Tuscaloosa, and both of you sounded real pleased with their work. I'll have to give them a call when I get the cooker specs from Tyler.

AZRaptor
08-28-2015, 08:32 AM
It's just time for Paul to open a West location. lol

Agreed. Hey Paul Arizona's got great year round building weather. Ok it may get a touch warm in the summer, but it's a dry heat. :wink:

oifmarine2003
08-28-2015, 09:05 AM
Maybe there is a retired or unemployed Brethren in the area who might be willing to help you out? Long shot but you never know with Brethren!

AZRaptor
09-10-2015, 02:57 PM
I spoke to Thomas from Craters & Freighters in Tuscaloosa today and he's going to get me a quote to get it out to a nearby depot here in the area. He mentioned that he hasn't been able to get a consistent resource for delivering these smokers when liftgate service is required at the delivery point because once crated up these things are as long as the liftgate is wide.

He's going to try and get me a quote for getting it from the depot to my house as well and I'm going to check around locally, but does anyone have any suggestions for how to better handle it?

I'm thinking that maybe with the additional cost of getting it ferried from the depot to the house and dropped off the money may be better spent upgrading my smoker to a trailer and then just having them uncrate it at the depot so I can pick it up there and drive it home.

Shagdog
09-10-2015, 03:04 PM
Upgrading to a trailer is never a bad thing.. What about renting a Uhaul Trailer and picking it up from the depot?

landarc
09-10-2015, 03:07 PM
Ever drive a forklift (it actually isn't as easy as it looks, but, one can learn the basics in 15 minutes)? Maybe have it delivered and you rent a forklift and off load it yourself

AZRaptor
09-10-2015, 03:29 PM
Upgrading to a trailer is never a bad thing.. What about renting a Uhaul Trailer and picking it up from the depot?

I thought of renting a U-Haul trialer back when I was thinking about driving out to get it, but they didn't allow one way rentals. Thanks for reminding me.

It looks like I could rent a 5' x 9' Utility trailer with Ramp for $25. Another $25 for the 7500lb ball mount and ball and I should be good to go.

http://www.uhaul.com/reservations/images/Equipment/Trailers/Open5x9RampMedium.png

Fat Cap
09-10-2015, 03:56 PM
I made the drive from Denver in April. Stopped in KC, St Louis, and Memphis for some Q. Had a great time. You could go through Texas...Mmmmm!

Q Junkie
09-10-2015, 04:54 PM
Well, if you are a NASCAR fan just plan the pilgrimage to Talladega and christen it in the hallowed red mud of Talladega baby! Late October is a great time to be there. If you are not a NASCAR fan, one trip will make you a fan for life. :thumb:

AZRaptor
09-10-2015, 05:20 PM
Well, if you are a NASCAR fan just plan the pilgrimage to Talladega and christen it in the hallowed red mud of Talladega baby! Late October is a great time to be there. If you are not a NASCAR fan, one trip will make you a fan for life. :thumb:

I've never been, but we have two NASCAR races a year here at the Phoenix International Raceway which is about 5 miles from my house so I really do need to get over there someday and give it a try.

AZRaptor
09-28-2015, 02:58 AM
So I ended up going the uShip route and the smoker is going to be trailered and hauled to my house with no need for me to go to a terminal to pick it up. The shipper is planning to pick it up from Paul and Tyler next Saturday. WooHoo!

drumdawg67
09-28-2015, 01:37 PM
Congrats & enjoy the new cooker.

sloandsteady
10-23-2015, 05:10 PM
How did this workout for you?

AZRaptor
10-23-2015, 05:15 PM
It's still ongoing. The first shipper fell through and never showed to pick it up on two different appts. I relisted it and got a new shipper with a great feedback rating. They are supposed to pick it up next week and bring it out.

sloandsteady
10-23-2015, 08:33 PM
Gotchs. My fingers are crossed for you.

Seefyre
10-23-2015, 08:45 PM
My experience was shipping a wagon wheel patio model 20'X50" to the Portland, Oregon area.

I found Thomas at Freighters and Craters to be hard to get a hold of, and he priced the job like he was not interested.

I used the online brokerage "FrieghtCenter.com" and worked closely with the rep. Once everyone could see the unit was highly mobile and durable, the crate was omitted. This saved at least $600.

My final cost including insurance was $1300 for white glove, residential lift gate and call for a delivery appointment options.

Be advised you need to read the contact precisely to make this method work. I spend a couple of weeks getting everything lined up like I wanted. Also, if you are not in a hurry, that can save you some serious $$$ as well. Good luck.

AZRaptor
10-29-2015, 10:32 PM
My experience was shipping a wagon wheel patio model 24'X50" to the Portland, Oregon area.

I found Thomas at Freighters and Craters to be hard to get a hold of, and he priced the job like he was not interested.

I used the online brokerage "FrieghtCenter.com" and worked closely with the rep. Once everyone could see the unit was highly mobile and durable, the crate was omitted. This saved at least $600.

My final cost including insurance was $1300 for white glove, residential lift gate and call for a delivery appointment options.

Be advised you need to read the contact precisely to make this method work. I spend a couple of weeks getting everything lined up like I wanted. Also, if you are not in a hurry, that can save you some serious $$$ as well. Good luck.

Yep, I'm thinking Thomas has decided he'd rather not deal with smokers anymore. He never did send me the quote he said he would send.

On a happier note, I just got confirmation through uShip that my smoker was picked up today by my replacement shipper. A big thanks to Paul and Tyler for being so understanding about the fact my smoker had to sit at their place taking up space for a month after they finished it because of my shipper issues.

pjtexas1
10-29-2015, 10:39 PM
glad the shirley is finally on its way. i know you are excited.

AZRaptor
11-04-2015, 06:43 PM
Well she's finally here. My smoker was just dropped off and I just thought I'd reply to this thread one last time to pass along the shipper's information in case someone else ends up in the same situation and needs a smoker delivered.

Link to their page on uShip:
WESTAM Transport LLC (http://www.uship.com/profile/Westam/)

I've also added a link (http://www.uship.com/shipment/BBQ-Smoker/5433746/) to my uShip posting, in case someone hasn't used uShip before and wants to see how to post up an ad for their smoker to be shipped.

Doog
11-04-2015, 07:24 PM
Enjoy your new smoker! Thanks for the update.