PDA

View Full Version : Green Mesquite - Use it or Not?

Gulfbeachman
08-26-2015, 02:05 PM
A neighbor is clearing off some mesquite trees and offering to set aside some wood, if desired.

(There is a BBQ place here called the Green Mesquite, so there must be something to it.)

Question: What should I do with green mesquite?

1) Use it, no problem.
2) Age it for six months,
3) Pass, it will taint my smoker.

Thanks!

Randy3269
08-26-2015, 02:24 PM
Age it for 6 months. I love mesquite.

yakdung
08-26-2015, 02:29 PM
Yes. Goode Co. BBQ in Houston uses it exclusively. The cords are stacked in front of the restaurants.

oldbill
08-26-2015, 04:01 PM
Yes. Goode Co. BBQ in Houston uses it exclusively. The cords are stacked in front of the restaurants.Yep, so does "The Green Mesquite" in Austin and Round Rock!:-D
The key with green wood is to make sure it burns and not just sit and smolder. To a person who isn't used to using it I'd say burn a good, hot fire from seasoned wood with a healthy coal bed and use the green mesquite only for smoke.:wink:

charcoal4brains
08-26-2015, 05:18 PM
"Once again, be careful with green woods. Some will produce very bitter tastes. Please do not ever use green mesquite in a smoker."

David Klose, http://www.bbqpits.com/curing.htm

Smokin' Greene
08-26-2015, 05:49 PM
let it cure and enjoy

oldbill
08-26-2015, 05:53 PM
"Once again, be careful with green woods. Some will produce very bitter tastes. Please do not ever use green mesquite in a smoker."

David Klose, http://www.bbqpits.com/curing.htmMr Klose builds a fine pit and being a good business man he is basically trying to ensure his client's success (especially the inexperienced ones) by suggesting that they stay away from unseasoned wood. The "very bitter taste" that he's referring to is creosote from smoldering wood. Wood smolders due to a combination of too much moisture content and not enough heat to make it burn properly and David Klose knows that a good deal of his customers aren't experienced at fire maintenance when they're using seasoned wood let alone green wood. With that said however, dirty smoke and creosote can just as easily happen with seasoned wood when it's in the wrong hands. There are people who successfully use green wood (including mesquite) for cooking all the time and love the flavor that it gives, you just have to know how to use it properly.:wink: