PDA

View Full Version : Mustard slather on ribs vs no slather

levi27123
08-24-2015, 06:59 PM
Is it worth the trouble?

LMAJ
08-24-2015, 07:03 PM
I've never done it and have always been happy with my ribs.
If you have more than one rack do one with and one without and see which you prefer.

Rusty Kettle
08-24-2015, 07:05 PM
Is it worth the trouble?

Depends what you want to accomplish. Flavor not really with plain yellow mustard. It smells good while cooking. If you let the rub get wet it will set better.

It helps keep the rub on. Got to go very thin not to thick. I think it's more of a useful competition tool in the backyard not really needed in my opinion. Try it and see what you think do one rack with mustard and one without mustard and compare.

RapidCityBBQ
08-24-2015, 07:05 PM
Not worth it. I don't think it adds any benefit.

Bob C Cue
08-24-2015, 07:06 PM
I don't usually do it but for some reason did it yesterday. Decided I liked the way it keep the rub on when turning over the rack to coat the other side. And rub stayed on better while transferring to the pit. General consensus it does not affect the flavor.

mikemci
08-24-2015, 07:16 PM
Mustard doesn't add flavor, just a glue for the rub. I use either oil or worsty.

lantern
08-24-2015, 07:27 PM
I don't use it. It's too much of a messy step for little to no gains over other methods.

If I want a thick coat of rub for whatever reason I'll sprinkle some on and then after 10-20 minutes sprinkle it on again after the first layer has brought out the moisture. It'll lay on nice and thick that way.

That being said, I've gotten away from really heavy handed layering of rubs these days and just go nice and easy or sometimes even nekkid.

Nuco59
08-24-2015, 07:39 PM
Did the mustard thing once upon a time. Now I use a spray bottle with canola oil in it-adjusted to make a heavy mist. Goes on way easier than mustard and does about the same thing. Use the same bottle to spritz my newspaper with before I start my chimney of coals.

Meatguyver
08-24-2015, 07:54 PM
Slather

COS
08-24-2015, 08:01 PM
I'm a mustard slather guy. Sometimes I mix it up though and use worchestershire sauce.

Gore
08-24-2015, 08:33 PM
I tried it once. I had to try it once. It seemed like an expensive way to keep the rub on.

bonehead762
08-24-2015, 09:02 PM
I really like the slather. Got my mustard from Costco and used it on the six racks of spares I did over the weekend. I was practicing my rib cooking so I gave a lot of the ribs away to my guinea pigs...er, uh,...I mean friends and they all raved. I don't mind the extra step.

Bludawg
08-24-2015, 09:09 PM
I prefer hotsauce it brings flavor & pop mustard, not so much.

jermoQ
08-24-2015, 09:11 PM
And it was fine. I always heard it did not add flavor but had seen spicy brown used bad thought it might add some flavor. On my next brisquet I was thinking of trying garlic tobasco sauce and a little oil to see how it goes?

bonehead762
08-24-2015, 09:11 PM

I'll have to give that and a couple other suggestions listed a try. I need to expand my Bbq knowledge.

krex1010
08-24-2015, 10:02 PM
I love mustard....but I don't use it as rub glue anymore...really adds nothing flavor wise, just adds to the mess I make in the kitchen when prepping my Q

Fwismoker
08-24-2015, 10:10 PM
Olive oil

theTastyCat
08-24-2015, 10:11 PM
I believe it helps the rub adhere but also results in less bark. Try either way and see what you think! I've done both ways and still am not totally sure. Part of it I'd say depends on how bark-y your particular smoker smokes!

I love bark big time, so I'm leaning heavily toward use olive oil spray or something similar to adhere rub and still getting max bark.

bbqwizard
08-24-2015, 10:12 PM
It depends on how many racks I am cooking. When I do, I either do a light coating or make a slather consisting of; mustard, worcester, soy, and rub. Always works well and tastes great. To each their own.

Bludawg
08-24-2015, 10:32 PM
hot sauce
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/DSCF0202.jpg

bonehead762
08-25-2015, 12:28 AM
hot sauce

Only thing I can say to that pic is...HUBBA, Hubba.

cheez59
08-25-2015, 07:24 AM
I have always slathered my ribs and butts with mustard before applying a rub. Mustard is dirt cheap and my pork always comes out great. It is not that big a mess for me either. I do like Bluedawg's idea of using hot sauce. The next ribs I cook I will give that one a shot.

kawracr
08-25-2015, 07:34 AM
I always do. My customers rave about my ribs. I'm gonna keep doing what works for me. Would like to try the hot sauce though. Have to do 20 racks for sons birthday this weekend. I might try it on a couple.

smoke ninja
08-25-2015, 07:39 AM
A brethren once recommended a molasses slather for butts and ribs to me. It did good things.

code3rrt
08-25-2015, 08:29 AM
I've only tried it with the regular yellow mustard a couple of times, for me it really didn't make enough difference to keep doing it. But I have not tried it with any other type of mustard, that may be worth experimenting with as there are a lot of different kinds of mustard out there.

Otherwise I offer pretty much the same advice as the others, do some side by side cooks/comparisons, and see what you like best.

KC

cullenbranson
08-25-2015, 08:56 AM
Used to use the mustard slather a bit. Now just rinsing the racks in cold water after trimming, lightly drying with paper towel and applying light rub. If I'm in the mood, I'll apply a second layer of rub after the initial has done its thing, like someone else suggested here. I found the mustard slather to be the equivalent of a very ground-mustard-heavy rub, seeing as its just mustard powder and vinegar. I think the cold water achieves rub adherence.

dadsr4
08-25-2015, 09:11 AM
I tried mustard once. Decided it didn't make a difference. If we liked heavy layers of rub, it might make a difference, but we prefer the taste of the meat to shine through.

oldbill
08-25-2015, 09:20 AM
I used to use mustard until I saw that Johnny Trigg was using peanut oil as a base for his rub. I tried it and really liked the flavor that the ribs had, then I did a little research (amazingribs.com I believe) and I read that the spices in a rub are largely oil soluble and by putting the rub in oil the spices release more of their own natural oils, thereby enhancing their flavors.:wink:
I've found that pretty much any cooking oil will work and I use it on just about everything I cook. I use light tasting olive oil mostly but regular vegetable oil works fine as well.
Johnny Trigg's method was to slather with the oil, rub the meat down and then let the rub "liquefy" (as he put it) for about 30 minutes or so before putting the meat on the cooker.:-D

BoLiles
08-25-2015, 09:24 AM
The benefits are based on what's in your rub. SOME (not all) spices and such in rubs are OIL-soluble and so an oil or mustard rub (which has oil in it) well bloom and set the spices in the rub in regards to the bark. The debate about the vinegar in mustard (or hot sauce) and whether it helps the surface of the meat is debated back and forth - Bludawg's pic speaks to the bark with vinegar based hot sauce :eusa_clap - My last batch of ribs, I did both mustard on one and olive oil on the other. I liked the oil in regards tot he bark. On pork shoulders? A slather of mustard a coat of rub and sit in the fridge overnight then another coat of rub? Works out great on that hunk of meat every time.

dadsr4
08-25-2015, 09:25 AM
I used to use mustard until I saw that Johnny Trigg was using peanut oil as a base for his rub. I tried it and really liked the flavor that the ribs had, then I did a little research (amazingribs.com I believe) and I read that the spices in a rub are largely oil soluble and by putting the rub in oil the spices release more of their own natural oils, thereby enhancing their flavors.:wink:
I've found that pretty much any cooking oil will work and I use it on just about everything I cook. I use light tasting olive oil mostly but regular vegetable oil works fine as well.
Johnny Trigg's method was to slather with the oil, rub the meat down and then let the rub "liquefy" (as he put it) for about 30 minutes or so before putting the meat on the cooker.:-D
Interesting. I use oil on lean meats for moisture retention, never thought about oil solubility. Thanks!

Bludawg
08-25-2015, 10:08 AM
IMO the less rub the better a rib is not meant to be a delivery system for rub & sauce to your piehole. Some of the best BBQ I ever ate had nothing more than plain old table salt used for the rub. It's all about the meat not how you can disguise it.

Tom Sellecks Mustache
08-25-2015, 10:16 AM
I have tried a few different slathers that I picked up from my time slinking around the brethren. With pork, I usually rub with molasses or spicy brown. The molasses adds a little sweetness to the end product, but I don't really pick up much flavor from it. For beef, I like to slather it with coconut oil before the SPOG goes on. It does help the rub stick to it a little better, but all in all, that's really the only major value it appears to add.

snapper-G
08-25-2015, 02:13 PM
The first few racks I did in my PBC I slathered with mustard because the youtube videos said to. The last few racks I didn't (because I didn't have any mustard in the frig) and I did not notice any change in the flavor. I really didn't notice that my rub needs a glue or not but I put some oil on first then rub and all is good! I will try the hot sauce thing though, good suggestion!

cheez59
08-25-2015, 02:48 PM
IMO the less rub the better a rib is not meant to be a delivery system for rub & sauce to your piehole. Some of the best BBQ I ever ate had nothing more than plain old table salt used for the rub. It's all about the meat not how you can disguise it.

This is absolutely true for us BBQ connoisseurs. This will make folks' head explode in here but the most popular BBQ joint around where I live does not smoke or grill their ribs at all. They bake them in the oven swimming in sauce until the meat falls off the bone. The restaurant is standing room only on the weekends and their ribs are the star of the show. I tried them once to see what the fuss was all about. Boiled would have been the same thing.

Sevengoals
08-25-2015, 02:58 PM
Dry rub only.

Q Junkie
08-25-2015, 03:01 PM

I'm a hot sauce over mustard convert as well.

oldbill
08-25-2015, 03:16 PM

I'm a hot sauce over mustard convert as well.
Have either of ya'll ever tried Sriracha for that? With the garlic flavor that it has I'd bet it'd be a good flavor adder!:thumb:

lantern
08-25-2015, 04:53 PM
I know I have already given my opinion on the necessity of a mustard slather, but I figured I'd add one more option.

It's messier than just sprinkling and then sprinkling again, but I do believe it adds something to the party. Bacon grease or clarified butter. Either of those on BEEF makes for a fairly tasty combo with the rub. And as funny as it is I actually prefer clarified butter. I keep a 5lb tub of Plugra in my kitchen at all times. Comes in handy with the new Blackstone too.:laugh:

bdare
08-25-2015, 04:54 PM
I use mustard. I prefer it over oil because it washes off my hands easier.

Ross in Ventura
08-25-2015, 05:00 PM
I always put rub and mustard the day before then smoke the next day and it is delicious

Ross

Happy Hapgood
08-25-2015, 05:03 PM
"They" say you can't taste the mustard. I can taste the mustard. I Don't use it.

Bludawg
08-25-2015, 05:27 PM
Have either of ya'll ever tried Sriracha for that? With the garlic flavor that it has I'd bet it'd be a good flavor adder!:thumb:
I'm a Valentina's man. I don't eat Asian food ACK!!

El Ropo
08-25-2015, 05:41 PM
I've been known to use Zesty Italian Dressing and still do on occasion. Most of the time I don't bother now. One thing that I've tried recently is Mayo on chicken and lean pork like pork loins. Now that is pretty nice, especially on the chicken.

oldbill
08-26-2015, 12:30 PM
I'm a Valentina's man. I don't eat Asian food ACK!!I love that Valentina stuff (Extra Hot) on my eggs and it even makes those cheap frozen burritos taste pretty decent!:thumb:

Wampus
08-26-2015, 02:23 PM
I've done it with and without.

I don't do a slather any more. Haven't for years. Absolutely no point in it, IMHO.

BigBobBQ
08-26-2015, 05:23 PM
I sometimes use mustard, it helps keep the rub stuck to the meat and does not seem to make any difference to the flavor.

pwa
08-26-2015, 09:11 PM
I just sprinkle the rub on it, no need to slather, binder, oil or any of that... I get great bark customers love it and it places at comps so can't be all that bad.

Clint

cowgirl
08-26-2015, 09:25 PM
I don't always slather...but when I do, I use bacon drippin's. On both beef and pork ribs.

SGH
08-26-2015, 10:19 PM
I don't always slather...but when I do, I use bacon drippin's. On both beef and pork ribs.

I like how you think sister. It goes without saying that I certainly like how you cook as well. I was shocked to hear you say above that you used bacon grease. I thought only us fat boys did that:becky:

cowgirl
08-26-2015, 10:21 PM
I like how you think sister. It goes without saying that I certainly like how you cook as well. I was shocked to hear you say above that you used bacon grease. I thought only us fat boys did that:becky:

lol Thanks SGH, I love the stuff! :-D

Boxmaster
08-31-2015, 06:41 PM
My rub magically stcks all by itself!

1MoreFord
08-31-2015, 09:17 PM

I just don't cook enough bacon, and can't afford enough bacon, to allow me to slather ribs with bacon grease.:icon_blush:

I used to use mustard as a binder but gave up on that and now season with rub and allow surface moisture to form and then season again.

grantw
08-31-2015, 10:04 PM
I use it, and I don't use it, if it's close I grab it, I go for oil first, but mustard works, I just never taste it anyway

Diesel Dave
09-01-2015, 06:28 AM
Lantern, the natural oils in the butter do add to the taste and also adherence of your rub. The natural oils keep the meats pours open.

arclite
09-01-2015, 07:52 AM
Generally no slather on pork, although I have in the past.

I've done hot sauce (Valentina) on my beef ribs the last couple cooks. Still not sure if it matters all that much?

darkoozy
09-01-2015, 08:27 AM

Damn! You are a genius!