PDA

View Full Version : Cracked fennel - help!!

theTastyCat
08-20-2015, 06:40 PM
Hey all - when I made my first-ever batch of sausage a few months ago, I gently cracked the fennel for my hot Italian sausage with the back of a spoon. When it came time for batch number two, I'd gotten a mortar and pestle, and in my naive delight I bashed the fennel into powder and the sausage wasn't very good. Just made batch 3, having used a very light touch with the mortar and pestle, but I couldn't really taste the fennel, which really is the defining characteristic of Italian sausage. Any tips on technique? Can't believe out of everything it's this that's got me hung up!!

That first batch was absolutely out of sight - would love to capture it again!

Thanks all!

gtr
08-20-2015, 06:44 PM
Did you lightly toast the fennel? I put it in a warm pan and move it around some until I start to smell it, then I'll do a light round in the mortar and pestle after that.

landarc
08-20-2015, 06:59 PM
I agree with toasting. And perhaps going back to the spoon

theTastyCat
08-20-2015, 06:59 PM
I did not toast it! But I sure will next time.

theTastyCat
08-20-2015, 07:00 PM
And use a spoon. Heck, if it worked the first time...

I know the idea is to just release the oils, not powder it...

mitch1959
08-20-2015, 07:12 PM
Sounds like the spoon was the way to go

buccaneer
08-20-2015, 07:50 PM
Hey all - when I made my first-ever batch of sausage a few months ago, I gently cracked the fennel for my hot Italian sausage with the back of a spoon. When it came time for batch number two, I'd gotten a mortar and pestle, and in my naive delight I bashed the fennel into powder and the sausage wasn't very good. Just made batch 3, having used a very light touch with the mortar and pestle, but I couldn't really taste the fennel, which really is the defining characteristic of Italian sausage. Any tips on technique? Can't believe out of everything it's this that's got me hung up!!

That first batch was absolutely out of sight - would love to capture it again!

Thanks all!

The mortar and pestle isn't only for bashing.
You can easily crack fennel just by controlling the power and lightly circling over the fennel seeds, round and round. Some will get powdery but if you control it, most will break and you are there.
The method for toasting is a dry pan, low to medium low heat, hold the handle and never walk away but swirl. As soon as you smell them tip them into a cold bowl Wait until they are cold before using the M&P