PDA

View Full Version : smoke flavor question

troy64
08-17-2015, 10:10 PM
I smoked two briskets Saturday. My goal was to use some peach wood chunks (heavily) along with oak and see if the flavor was noticeable. Smoke flavor was there but not peach. I do know this fruitwood does better on fish, chicken and sausage but has anyone had much luck with fruitwoods and brisket?

S.Six
08-17-2015, 10:12 PM
I prefer a stronger wood on beef like hickory oak or mesquite.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
08-17-2015, 10:17 PM
I tend to use the fruit wood just for the lighter/milder meats. And tend to use a more bold flavor for beef and pork. Like Hickory or pecan. And I know that this is a more West thing but my favorite is to b]use a mix of hickory and mesquite. The mesquite provides most of the heat while the hickory provides most of the flavor. The caution with this is that typically mesquite is a rather volatile wood

STLBBQer
08-17-2015, 10:23 PM
I typically use fruit woods with pork and chicken, it's all oak for me with the occasional pecan when I do beef.

emtnate
08-17-2015, 10:54 PM
I use Cherry or Apple for most everything, mainly due to having a lot of it available to me. I bought a bag of Hickory once for brisket, but I prefer the Cherry or a mix of the two.

oldbill
08-17-2015, 11:19 PM
I use mostly post oak, pecan and mesquite on everything but I do like a little apple wood on my chicken, fish and for cold smoking cheese. I actually have 3 peach trees in my back yard and I've used some of the wood for cooking ribs and chicken but it didn't really do anything for me,... too mild.:-D

troy64
08-17-2015, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the responses.

cheez59
08-18-2015, 05:13 AM
The more I smoke the less I use the fruit woods on red meats. My family and I like the more bold smoke flavors. This could partially be attributed to the fact that I can get all the oak, hickory. pecan and cherry wood that I need for free.:-D

bdare
08-18-2015, 06:58 AM
I tend to use the fruit wood just for the lighter/milder meats. And tend to use a more bold flavor for beef and pork. Like Hickory or pecan. And I know that this is a more West thing but my favorite is to b]use a mix of hickory and mesquite. The mesquite provides most of the heat while the hickory provides most of the flavor. The caution with this is that typically mesquite is a rather volatile wood

^^^ This ^^^

OCS
08-18-2015, 07:45 AM
i can't really pick up fruit wood flavors in beef. I tend to use hickory and oak for beef. I do mix oak and cherry for pork and try to go straight fruit wood for chicken.

longhair75
08-18-2015, 08:37 AM
So far, I have been using a half and half mix of apple and hickory. I have some pecan splits I plan on using next time

Bludawg
08-18-2015, 09:25 AM
Fruit woods do not give off the flavor of the fruit they do give off a lighter sweeter smoke. Mostly suited for pork & poultry.

chuMP
08-18-2015, 09:49 AM
I prefer oak for brisket, but my wife isn't keen on a strong smoke profile, so I use apple for nearly everything. As already started fruit wood does not contribute the taste of the fruit, but it trends to give a more subtle and sweet taste to the finished product than other hardwoods. The smoke flavor is less aggressive, but definitely still there.

PekingPorker
08-18-2015, 09:52 AM
Peach is quite subtle. Best for pork and ribs. Pecan/Oak/Hickory are my preferred for Brisket.

Skip
08-18-2015, 11:05 AM
I will use cherry and pecan for beef but i think the only thing I get from the cherry is a good color. Its the pecan that accents the meat

jjjonz
08-18-2015, 04:06 PM
Apple 1st choice and 2nd choice oak.

troy64
08-18-2015, 05:55 PM
Fruit woods do not give off the flavor of the fruit they do give off a lighter sweeter smoke. Mostly suited for pork & poultry.

Learning experience for me Bludawg. I did not know this and figured the flavor would be present in the meat. So basically most if not all fruitwoods simply present various levels of sweetness regardless of the type meat?

Sopchoppy
08-18-2015, 06:12 PM
I use white oak, cherry, and hickory, usually mix 2 of them, sometimes all 3. Can't tell a whole lot of difference. Have a bunch of cherry from the ice storm in Feb. so I'm using a lot of that right now.

Doug Crann
08-18-2015, 07:41 PM
Only thing the the Boss & I taste is the smoke....can't tell the difference between apple, pecan, cherry etc. We use mesquite chunk charcoal in both of the Eggs...few years back we tried using straight mesquite and ended up tossing the food in the trash....same brand of chunks....now we can't even taste it.