PDA

View Full Version : Ribs with no rub

lowbass
08-16-2015, 04:13 PM
So since yesterday was my birthday, my wonderful wife took me to dinner at our local Brazilian steak house(Fogo De Chao). Every thing was good, but when they brought the pork ribs around and I tasted them, WOW! No sauce, no rub, no smoke flavor, all you tasted was salt and pork. And they were very, good! They were still on the skewers that they cook them on and they cut off a couple of bones for you. Slightly charred but still moist.

Has anyone tried cooking their ribs "naked" like this? No rub, just a little salt and maybe pepper? I like to cook my steaks with just S & P, never tried ribs like that.

Happy Hapgood
08-16-2015, 04:15 PM
I've always used some rub but a light amount. Were they marinaded? And Happy belated Birthday!

Jason TQ
08-16-2015, 04:17 PM
Salt and pepper is good on all meat. I don't know if I would consider that naked, but I do love some Fogo.

There was a BBQ place I saw on Man Fire Food that literally went naked on all pork. No seasoning at all. I've never done totally naked...........BBQ :shock:

lowbass
08-16-2015, 04:44 PM
I've always used some rub but a light amount. Were they marinaded? And Happy belated Birthday!

No marinade, just salt.

BigBobBQ
08-16-2015, 04:52 PM
I have done just salt and pepper and they turned out pretty good. The only time I cooked totally naked BBQ my neighbors called the paddy wagon to come get me....:laugh:

bbqwilly
08-16-2015, 05:03 PM
My buddy marinates his in apple juice for a day then smokes them. No rub or sauce. They are really good.

Bludawg
08-16-2015, 06:14 PM
I have but I prefer Slap Ya Momma with added black pepper. S&P is my go to rub.

DjPorkchop
08-16-2015, 06:49 PM
I have only had some once with no rub or seasoning. My brother soaked them in grape juice over night and cooked them up. Oh lordy was they ever good. I was a tad on the skeptical side with using grape juice.

TcircleT
08-17-2015, 02:13 PM
S&P only cooks produce some great results.

It is a good place to start for newbies or those struggling with ribs too. Perfect the process with meat, salt and pepper, heat and time. Then move on to everything else.

landarc
08-17-2015, 02:22 PM
I have cooked ribs with just salt and pepper, it puts a premium of the smoke and texture of the meat.

chichas01
08-17-2015, 02:40 PM
kalua pig is basically prepared the same way, seasoning wise, nothing but pork and salt. seems like it would be great on ribs that way

deguerre
08-17-2015, 02:43 PM
Happy birthday! (Belated)

CambuiAl
08-17-2015, 04:20 PM
I love Fogo de Chão - I was lucky enough to be in Chicago days before the new restaurant opened there years ago, and when we called they invited us in for the soft-opening - all free, but no liquor license! From what I have experienced since, the US ones (of which there are way more than in Brazil, with it being a US owned company for some years now) are every bit as good as the ones here in Sao Paulo - I've had the ribs with just salt, and they really do taste good like that! Happy belated birthday - one to remember for sure!

Gulfbeachman
08-17-2015, 04:42 PM
I marinate mine in Adobo Mojo and then some salt and pepper. Gives it a nice South of the border taste.

dwfisk
08-17-2015, 04:53 PM
Never tried just salt but thanks for the heads up, I'm willing to give it a try next time we do ribs.

yakdung
08-17-2015, 05:45 PM
Straight cave man method.

Joe Black
08-17-2015, 06:35 PM
Up until about 6 or 7 years ago, I didn't really know much about rubs or whatever. I would put 3 racks on my gas grill and when almost done, I'd brush on some Sweet Baby Ray's or some other store brand sauce. I thought they were great. At least, by that time I was not boiling any longer. Then, I attended a backyard BBQ school and my life has changed forever.

Fwismoker
08-17-2015, 06:38 PM
I'm up for trying it. I'll try some straight up nekkid ribs with a little salt cooked over a oak fire...will report back!

grantw
08-17-2015, 06:43 PM
Ribs are real good just salt and peppered, happy b day!