PDA

View Full Version : WSM sided door lock broke

Big Country BBQ
08-13-2015, 11:04 PM
So my side door lock broke and idk how to fix it any one got a better thing to replace the door knob?

Nuco59
08-14-2015, 06:06 AM
Contact Weber- their customer service should be able to hook you up with a new latch. They will probably send you a whole door assy. It may or may not be "free" but you will be back to what it was designed with. OTOH- you might stroll down the aisle of your HD or Lowes and find something that you can make work if you are the "handy sort". Or hit the google /amazon - look for "cam latch".

Harbormaster
08-14-2015, 06:16 AM
Here is a link to a thread tht discuses aftermarket compression latches that work on WSM doors.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184227

B-More BBQ Junkie
08-14-2015, 07:00 AM
I'd imagine you can use a strong magnet (or two) as a temporary fix until you get a replacement.

...Dave
08-14-2015, 08:15 AM
never understood how weber can have such good quality until you get to that chee pass door.

Bludawg
08-14-2015, 08:26 AM
Aluminum duct tape. Why do they put doors on them black suppositories anywho??? Got one on the side of my ECM that I sealed shut with HTRTV before it ever saw a fire.

KevinJ
08-14-2015, 08:27 AM
never understood how weber can have such good quality until you get to that chee pass door.Yep.

I just sucked it up and purchased a Cajun Bandit door.

...Dave
08-14-2015, 08:31 AM
Yep.

i still have a few other bbq things i need 1st, but eventually ill cave and get the CBs. they look better anyways.

Ag76
08-14-2015, 08:56 AM
Yep.

I think you will like it. I have one on my 22.5" WSM.

I guess you saw where they will put the Southco Compression Latch on it for you and send you the door with it already installed? The latch is well worth the extra money in my opinion.

KevinJ
08-14-2015, 10:48 AM

I guess you saw where they will put the Southco Compression Latch on it for you and send you the door with it already installed? The latch is well worth the extra money in my opinion.Yes I did and ordered the latch as well.

biggiefries19
08-14-2015, 11:16 AM

I guess you saw where they will put the Southco Compression Latch on it for you and send you the door with it already installed? The latch is well worth the extra money in my opinion.

Using my WSM this weekend, just ordered the combo myself. I've had to get a new door in the past because of the flimsy latch already. Thankfully Weber has such good customer service and sent me the replacement no questions asked. Still don't like how the door doesn't sit well, want to give this a try.

SPRfree
08-14-2015, 01:09 PM
Same thing happened to me nut, washer, etc broke off and fell into the fire bowl and the handle fell off. I used two magnets to hold the door in place and weber replaced the assembly no questions asked.

THoey1963
08-14-2015, 05:22 PM
I upgraded to the SS door and added gaskets, so I knew I needed to upgrade the latch. You can get all the info you need in my WSM modification thread in my signature...

Nuco59
08-14-2015, 07:43 PM
I only suggested how to fix it because that's what the man asked. Me? I'd go UDS style. some rtv and a couple of self drilling screws- seal that sucker up - "Door? I don't need no steenkin' door". Just a place to leak air as far as I'm concerned. No offense to the folks who love leaky doors, fragile latches, water bowls and the insufficient charcoal rings- honest :grin:

Kyle Serlington
08-14-2015, 08:35 PM
man, this just happened to me a few months ago, now i wish i would have contacted weber instead of buying a whole new door from amazon! i also just read about the Cajun Bandit like a week after i got my new door, i was kinda bummed about that. the original latch lasted 4 years for me though