PDA

View Full Version : First cook on Weber 22"

Melissaredhead
08-10-2015, 09:38 AM
On vacation and the house only has a gas grill. So I got a new weber to smoke a butt and fatty. :bounce:

I assembled it and seasoned it yesterday and up at 6 this morning setting up the snake. I've never smoked a butt on a weber. I've never used the snake method.
I figure if it stinks I'll order pizza lol.

I welcome any tips for temp control.
I've read so many thread all with methods that seem right but contradictory.
Right now I've got the top vent open and the bottom about 1/2 and running at 250. It was running hot early but I think I've got it?

Im calling this pic 'Merica.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/melissaredhead/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpscjygxlms.jpg (http://s280.photobucket.com/user/melissaredhead/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpscjygxlms.jpg.html)

smoke ninja
08-10-2015, 10:12 AM
Let me know when that fattys ready

SmokerKing
08-10-2015, 10:13 AM
Very nice, going to fie up my new 22" this week sometime.

bigpernz
08-10-2015, 10:24 AM
I do a 2x2x1 snake and leave the vents wide open with a pan under the butt. Usually runs around 300. Congrats on the Weber you'll love it!

Right on Q
08-10-2015, 10:26 AM
the 22 will make you feel like a pro right out of the box.

It might run a little hot since this is it's first cook as you've already seen. I like to run my top vent open 100% and only close it as a last resort. And I really don't like to close it more than 50% unless i get really desperate.

Happy smoking!

1buckie
08-10-2015, 10:26 AM
Yeah, that should be OK.......top vent open so you get good, clean draw, bottoms open to get the temp to where you'd like.....

Doesn't hurt to start a little hot as the cold lump of pork will drop it some.....

One other "maybe" is if you're checking from that lid vent, it will be higher temp than the grate.......sometimes by a lot, so if you have a way to check at grate level, so much the better.......

Keep the food in the middle, perhaps over a drip pan (or pan of beans?) & it will end out cooking plenty even......

Have a fun vacation !!!!

Melissaredhead
08-10-2015, 10:43 AM
Yeah, that should be OK.......top vent open so you get good, clean draw, bottoms open to get the temp to where you'd like.....

Doesn't hurt to start a little hot as the cold lump of pork will drop it some.....

One other "maybe" is if you're checking from that lid vent, it will be higher temp than the grate.......sometimes by a lot, so if you have a way to check at grate level, so much the better.......

Keep the food in the middle, perhaps over a drip pan (or pan of beans?) & it will end out cooking plenty even......

Have a fun vacation !!!!
Thanks! I do have my igrill2 probe at meat level and one inside. :thumb:

Smokesignalsfromtx
08-10-2015, 10:46 AM
I do a 2x2x1 snake and leave the vents wide open with a pan under the butt. Usually runs around 300. Congrats on the Weber you'll love it!

Yep, what he said ^^^^

Except I leave the top vent wide open and close the bottom about 1\2. Runs at 275 for h...o...u...r...s........:becky::thumb:

jdefran
08-10-2015, 10:46 AM
Your set up sounds good, the butt can definitely handle a cook at 300 deg.

As you and other mention, keep the top vent open and adjust bottom as needed for temp.

If that flag starts blowing, keep in mind your temps may spike

retired trucker
08-10-2015, 11:10 AM
The best way to control temps is to control the size of the fire during your cook. If you want a hot fire, use a stack of 3X3 for your snake. For a cooler cook, reduce the size of the snake ie: 2X2 for however long you need to maintain your cook until the meat is done. You can get about 5 or 6 hours out of a 3/4 circle snake. Your going to love your Kettle. Good luck with your cook!

Omar

MAB52
08-10-2015, 11:26 AM
That is a beautiful pic, enjoy your vacation.

Melissaredhead
08-10-2015, 12:29 PM
Your set up sounds good, the butt can definitely handle a cook at 300 deg.

As you and other mention, keep the top vent open and adjust bottom as needed for temp.

If that flag starts blowing, keep in mind your temps may spike

Oh yes it kicks up then it's dead. So I took a chair and draped towels down it to make a barrier. :thumb:

Melissaredhead
08-10-2015, 01:22 PM
Let me know when that fattys ready

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/melissaredhead/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsshnngmqa.jpg (http://s280.photobucket.com/user/melissaredhead/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsshnngmqa.jpg.html)

cowgirl
08-10-2015, 02:35 PM
Great view!! Congratulations on the new cooker!

dadsr4
08-10-2015, 03:20 PM
Everyone needs a kettle. I hope you enjoy it.

Bludawg
08-10-2015, 06:14 PM
Looks like you got it under control Red soon you will be asking where have you been all my life and how did I manage with out you. Don't forget your sun screen :wink:

ShadowDriver
08-10-2015, 07:17 PM
Lookin' great, Melissa!

Rather envious of your view and what you're eating... but I know you and the family will enjoy it for the rest of us.

Have a great vacation!

code3rrt
08-10-2015, 07:27 PM
You are going to love your Kettle, enjoy the cook!

KC