PDA

View Full Version : Kamodo Cooker for $288.00

dport7
08-09-2015, 02:11 PM
Is that a good price? Walmart is closing them out, and it seems everybody
has talked good of them, so I'm on the market for one.

Moose
08-09-2015, 02:15 PM
What kind of Kamado is it? Do you have a link?

SGH
08-09-2015, 02:15 PM
Is that a good price? Walmart is closing them out, and it seems everybody
has talked good of them, so I'm on the market for one.

I don't see a pic or a link so I'm not sure which kamado it is. If it's one of the big names it's a steal. My BGE cost $750.00 bucks almost 3 years ago. My Joe Jr was a tad over $300.00 when they first hit the market. But both have increased in price since my purchases. There are several knockoffs out there that is not near as pricey as BGE, Primo, Kamado Joe and the other high end kamados. But I can't speak to their quality.

Moose
08-09-2015, 02:30 PM
I don't see a pic or a link so I'm not sure which kamado it is. If it's one of the big names it's a steal. My BGE cost $750.00 bucks almost 3 years ago. My Joe Jr was a tad over $300.00 when they first hit the market. But both have increased in price since my purchases. There are several knockoffs out there that is not near as pricey as BGE, Primo, Kamado Joe and the other high end kamados. But I can't speak to their quality.

Not likely to see a big name Kamado like KJ or BGE for anywhere near that price, plus they are only usually sold by authorized dealers, and certainly not at Walmart. If it's a Vision B, it's a steal for sure.

dport7
08-09-2015, 02:37 PM
Sorry about that.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Char-Griller-Akorn-Kamado-Charcoal-Kooker/40267083

SGH
08-09-2015, 02:39 PM
Not likely to see a big name Kamado like KJ or BGE for anywhere near that price, plus they are only usually sold by authorized dealers, and certainly not at Walmart. If it's a Vision B, it's a steal for sure.

Agree, but it does happen from time to time. The SAMs in our area recently had a run of BGE's at a pretty decent price. However after speaking to BGE directly they informed me that the eggs would not come with a lifetime warranty from BGE if purchased through SAMs. Only the warranty that SAMs was willing to give. I agree that's it's not common to see the bigger names in the box stores, but it does happen from time to time.

Moose
08-09-2015, 02:39 PM
Sorry about that.

I'd go for it. While I have a ceramic, the Akorn gets quite a few thumbs up from users here.

SGH
08-09-2015, 02:40 PM
Sorry about that.

I have no experience with those. Maybe someone who owns one can help.

yakdung
08-09-2015, 02:41 PM
I own two. If you decide to jump, get a cover for it. I believe you can find them cheaper. I paid approximately $150.00 a piece at Kroger at a 4th of July clearance. I still have one in a box.

Blythewood BBQ'er
08-09-2015, 02:49 PM
Akorns are great. I love mine. Sometimes they need modifications, but I got lucky and mine didn't need any. They put a light smoke on food due to the small amount of fuel they burn, but their versatility makes up for it in my opinion.

dport7
08-09-2015, 02:58 PM
I own two. If you decide to jump, get a cover for it. I believe you can find them cheaper. I paid approximately $150.00 a piece at Kroger at a 4th of July clearance. I still have one in a box.

Thanks, I'd like to hold out, but, I could lose out to as there were only
four left.

With the good recommendations, I might jump at the $288 and then look up a cover, like you say.

yakdung
08-09-2015, 03:12 PM
Thanks, I'd like to hold out, but, I could lose out to as there were only
four left.

With the good recommendations, I might jump at the $288 and then look up a cover, like you say.

I believe Blows and Home Despot may carry them.

SGH
08-09-2015, 03:14 PM
I believe Blows

Good one^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:razz:

stl-rich
08-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Previously my local Schnucks (local chain supermarket) was selling Akorn Kamados for $300, my store had an assembled black one & a NIB red one. Yesterday they only had the black one for $230 a real good buy. Other stores might have a red one for that price. If you are in the Lou and want an Akorn, this might be a real good deal for you :clap2:

dport7
08-09-2015, 05:55 PM
Well I went back to wally world, just to look, one more time, there were only two left, I was there three days ago and there were four, and now they are marked down to $249 from $288 so, I jumped at it.
This is the one.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2rojns1.jpg

Anybody found a good source for a cover and a pizza stone.

Fwismoker
08-09-2015, 06:00 PM
I was just thinking about them as you know but was planning on waiting for the big close outs. Since then i went to Lowes and looked at the intake slider and was shocked how bad it was. If you get one then look at ebijacks mod....smoke ninja now owns it.

dport7
08-09-2015, 06:02 PM
I was just thinking about them as you know but was planning on waiting for the big close outs. Since then i went to Lowes and looked at the intake slider and was shocked how bad it was. If you get one then look at ebijacks mod....smoke ninja now owns it.

Too late, I already pulled the trigger, that might be one of the mods they speak of.

Good luck on your find..

Fwismoker
08-09-2015, 06:10 PM
Too late, I already pulled the trigger, that might be one of the mods they speak of.

Good luck on your find.. Never seen anyone do that mod like Ebi did but it's a good one. It might not be designed to work that way but if you want better airflow it's good imo. You could keep the exhaust more open than people normally would.

The normal way is think is choking back on the exhaust is a way to make up for the shortcomings of the leaky intake.

1MoreFord
08-09-2015, 06:14 PM
Well I went back to wally world, just to look, one more time, there were only two left, I was there three days ago and there were four, and now they are marked down to $249 from $288 so, I jumped at it.

Anybody found a good source for a cover and a pizza stone.

You can get them from Lowes or Amazon. A lot of folks use a 22-1/2" Weber charcoal grate topped with a pizza pan or cast iron griddle instead of the stone. Don't have to worry about them breaking that way. I went this route and used a griddle from Academy Sports plus a deep dish pizza pan, from Wally World, as a drip pan.

dport7
08-09-2015, 06:17 PM
Never seen anyone do that mod like Ebi did but it's a good one. It might not be designed to work that way but if you want better airflow it's good imo. You could keep the exhaust more open than people normally would.

The normal way is think is choking back on the exhaust is a way to make up for the shortcomings of the leaky intake.

Ya, your right on. The first cook I do with it will be a simple one so I can play with the air adjust.
Going to do it like the okie joe to start, exhaust open and try to control it
with intake and go from there.

Blythewood BBQ'er
08-09-2015, 08:09 PM
Main thing to remember is to throttle it down on the intake before you hit your ideal cooking temp about 50-75 degrees and let it ease up to your target. They are extremely hard to get to come back to a temp.

Zin
08-09-2015, 09:53 PM
The SAMs in our area recently had a run of BGE's at a pretty decent price. However after speaking to BGE directly they informed me that the eggs would not come with a lifetime warranty from BGE if purchased through SAMs. Only the warranty that SAMs was willing to give.

That is one sorry company not honoring the lifetime warranty.

yakdung
08-09-2015, 09:55 PM
Primo or Big Joe the way to go.

AZRaptor
08-09-2015, 10:11 PM
That is one sorry company not honoring the lifetime warranty.

I was thinking the same thing and wondering how they would know where you purchased it. Does the lifetime warranty normally follow a BGE if you sell it to someone else?

SGH
08-09-2015, 10:35 PM
I was thinking the same thing and wondering how they would know where you purchased it. Does the lifetime warranty normally follow a BGE if you sell it to someone else?

They know because if you buy it through a registered dealer, the dealer will fill out all of your warranty information. Or if for some reason your dealer doesn't, you have to have a receipt to register it. And to the best of my knowledge, no the warranty doesn't transfer if you sell it. Or at least it use to not.

Fwismoker
08-09-2015, 10:38 PM
Agree, but it does happen from time to time. The SAMs in our area recently had a run of BGE's at a pretty decent price. However after speaking to BGE directly they informed me that the eggs would not come with a lifetime warranty from BGE if purchased through SAMs. Only the warranty that SAMs was willing to give. I agree that's it's not common to see the bigger names in the box stores, but it does happen from time to time.

I would guess that the normal lifetime warranty is built into the price of the egg and SAM's is eating up that margin...hence the no warranty. Still blows.

BigBobBQ
08-10-2015, 03:46 AM
they are great cookers, I paid $349 for the gray one with the cart instead of the wings.

sethga
08-10-2015, 07:49 PM
Good deal at $199.

The stars aligned and I picked one up for $89 at Target on clearance. Love it so far. Have not done low and slow on it yet, but, the high heat stuff is killer. Super efficient on fuel, too.

dport7
08-10-2015, 08:39 PM
You can get them from Lowes or Amazon. A lot of folks use a 22-1/2" Weber charcoal grate topped with a pizza pan or cast iron griddle instead of the stone. Don't have to worry about them breaking that way. I went this route and used a griddle from Academy Sports plus a deep dish pizza pan, from Wally World, as a drip pan.

Good thinking, I actually have both, a deep dish pizza pan I picked up from a joint going out of business and a Lodge cast iron pizza pan I found in the junk yard, so that problem is solved

I'll work on the cover.
Thanks for the info.

Good deal at $199.

The stars aligned and I picked one up for $89 at Target on clearance. Love it so far. Have not done low and slow on it yet, but, the high heat stuff is killer. Super efficient on fuel, too.

Man, thats the best price yet.

Thats what I bought this one for mostly.

I think it will do a lot better than the gasser for a lot of things, still won't take the place of the smoker or open fire.

dport7
08-10-2015, 08:43 PM
Put it together today, was going to do a burn, but ended up doing a deep fry test
for a fish fry I'm doing this week end.

Tomorrow I'll make some cajun corn bread on it, I hope.