PDA

View Full Version : Burning out the barrel....

bonehead762
08-08-2015, 10:53 AM
...or, Burning down the house maybe too.

I was able to find (and surprised) a source for empty barrels. For those in this part of California check your local Crescent Supply. They want $20 each for them but they have the golden brown, orangish liner coating on them. They used to hold fruit it says on the label.

Question is, has anyone burned one of these out and tried to pressure wash out the liner residue? I've searched here but haven't read that anyone has tried using a pressure washer to finish the job.

You can cut grooves in concrete with the right tip on a pressure washer so I was wondering....Any thoughts?

Blythewood BBQ'er
08-08-2015, 11:09 AM
It may work. I know the orange/brown liner seems to be the hardest one to get out. You may be able to get it out with the right tip. That will definitely save alot ot time with the grinder if it works.

SmittyJonz
08-08-2015, 12:04 PM
thats what I did. HOT fire for 3-4 hrs and then $5 at the carwash. I figured any liner left was meant to stay. That was 6 yrs ago and I'm still walking mostly upright.......

Fwismoker
08-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Mine was similar to that. Burning, grinder wire brushing there were still slight hints of it but I wiped it out with low odor mineral spirits and seasoned it. I too am fine years later. :twitch: :puke:

SmittyJonz
08-08-2015, 12:09 PM
Ya, I skipped to whole grinder/wire wheel- look like a coal miner step.