PDA

View Full Version : Talking smoke (quiz)

Fwismoker
08-08-2015, 09:44 AM
Let's talk smoke: :becky: There's always some folks new to BBQ on here so this could help them....besides I'm curious how many different answers we have. Whoever gets them all right gets a cookie...peanut butter,chocolate chip or sugar...Edit: or a beer! :becky:

1) Does a smoke ring = having smoked meat?

2) If you don't burn real wood have you really smoked the meat?
(real wood) meaning pellets, splits, chips, chunks, etc.. Example: Cooking with only briquettes like KBB....Is that really smoking your meat or do you have to add smoking wood? Cooking with pellets, splits etc...automatically qualifies as smoked.

3)What kind of BBQ fuel tends to make more of a smoke ring and why?

4) Does a smoke ring mean smoke flavor and when does it stop forming?

5) Do you have to stay within certain cook temps to say your food was smoked?

6) Going off of smitty's over smoked post- A) What makes a clean fire vs dirty fire? B) Can you get better or worse smoke from how you start a charcoal fire?

7) Are there other ways to get a smoke ring and what are they?

8 ) What parts of animals/birds give you the most smoke ring and why?

9) What's the red stuff that comes out of meat you buy?

10)**** Bonus Question**** Can you have too many cookers?

Q Junkie
08-08-2015, 09:51 AM
The answer to 10 is no.
Smoke ring = Disco music
The answer to 6 is efficient complete combustion

Fwismoker
08-08-2015, 09:55 AM
The answer to 10 is no.
Smoke ring = Disco music
The answer to 6 is efficient complete combustion So so close to a cookie!
:clap2:

Q Junkie
08-08-2015, 09:58 AM
Cookies are not BBQ!
However, beer is.

Meatguyver
08-08-2015, 11:27 AM
I wager beer:

1. Smoke ring does not necessarily mean smoked meat, cold smoked meat doesnt always have a smoke ring

2. I aint smoking anything with faux wood. Trex decking would suck!
3. Wood makes better smike ring, due to better chemical reaction with the surface of the meat
4. Smoke ring doesnt add flavor.
5. Temp does not dictate if meat is smoked or not. Cold smoke is low heat and Hot and fast will work.
6. good airflow = good combustion. When using charcoal methods such as minion, you can still maintain a clean fire as combustion is minimal in small amounts of coal. If adding charcoal in large amounts, one should use a chimney and add after the coals are ashed over to avoid soot.
7. You can get a smoke ring by using pink salt on meat prior to cooking . Aka hipster smoke ring
8. Meat with larger surface areas produce better smoke ring, because they allow the reaction to ocurr.
9. I assume you mean red slime. Rinse it off, but be ready to hear it from some if these farkers! I got ian ear full by saying i still rinse my chickens. I still rinse!
10. You can never have too many cookers. More cookers = more methods!

Fwismoker
08-08-2015, 11:57 AM
Answer key get's posted tomorrow... some answers are of course subjective while others are science fact. :heh:

All full quizzes get graded! lol

dadsr4
08-08-2015, 12:16 PM
9) What's the red stuff that comes out of meat you buy?
It's myoglobin, plus water.

Fwismoker
08-08-2015, 01:52 PM
Bump for the quiz takers. :cool:

revkab
08-08-2015, 05:20 PM
Let's talk smoke: :becky: There's always some folks new to BBQ on here so this could help them....besides I'm curious how many different answers we have. Whoever gets them all right gets a cookie...peanut butter,chocolate chip or sugar...Edit: or a beer! :becky:

1) Does a smoke ring = having smoked meat? Nope

(real wood) meaning pellets, splits, chips, chunks, etc.. Example: Cooking with only briquettes like KBB....Is that really smoking your meat or do you have to add smoking wood? Cooking with pellets, splits etc...automatically qualifies as smoked.
Real wood (or smoking material like grape vine) is necessary.

3)What kind of BBQ fuel tends to make more of a smoke ring and why? Wet or soaked wood. It produces more Nitrogen dioxide.

4) Does a smoke ring mean smoke flavor and when does it stop forming? No - it is just a cosmetic change that is the result of the chemical reaction between the myoglobin present in the meat, and the nitrogen dioxide present in burning wood.

5) Do you have to stay within certain cook temps to say your food was smoked? No again. Low and slow, or hot and fast - both produce smoked meat.

6) Going off of smitty's over smoked post- A) What makes a clean fire vs dirty fire? B) Can you get better or worse smoke from how you start a charcoal fire? Clean fire - one with an adequate supply of oxygen (and DRY wood). Produces less sooty smoke, which is dirty smoke.
B) How you START a charcoal fire gots nothing to do with the qulity of the smoke. The fire you build AFTER starting is the key.

7) Are there other ways to get a smoke ring and what are they? Yes - some cheaters use pink salt to fake a smoke ring.

8 ) What parts of animals/birds give you the most smoke ring and why? Those cuts of meat/bird that have a higher moisture content. The moisture conducts the nitrogen dioxide inwards. Leaner cuts often have less moisture. Chicken thighs will tend to have a more pronounced smoke ring.

9) What's the red stuff that comes out of meat you buy? Could either be blood, but I think you are looking for "myoglobin."

10)**** Bonus Question**** Can you have too many cookers? Fark no!!! He who dies with the most cookers, wins!!

See answers in blue above.

sliding_billy
08-08-2015, 05:27 PM
Does "I'm too drunk to answer" win me a cookie?

KevinJ
08-08-2015, 05:33 PM
Cookies are not BBQ!
However, beer is.
I'd add Bourbon to that, then you have the 3 B's covered, BBQ, Bourbon and Beer.

All in moderation of course.

Happy Hapgood
08-08-2015, 05:38 PM
I'll take this test the way I took most others. Where do you keep the master answer sheet and what time do you go to bed?

Bludawg
08-08-2015, 06:08 PM
1) Does a smoke ring = having smoked meat? no

2) If you don't burn real wood have you really smoked the meat? no

3)What kind of BBQ fuel tends to make more of a smoke ring and why? hard woods cured about 6-8 months

4) Does a smoke ring mean smoke flavor and when does it stop forming? no 140 deg F

5) Do you have to stay within certain cook temps to say your food was smoked? no

6) Going off of smitty's over smoked post- A) What makes a clean fire vs dirty fire? B) Can you get better or worse smoke from how you start a charcoal fire? if you don't let it ash over it will give off creosote I have noticed that TBS will start once the pit is over 225.

7) Are there other ways to get a smoke ring and what are they?yes Tenderquick, Celery salt

8 ) What parts of animals/birds give you the most smoke ring and why? Smoke rings are visual only and can be fabricated

9) What's the red stuff that comes out of meat you buy? Blood

10)**** Bonus Question**** Can you have too many cookers? NO!!

jbounds286
08-08-2015, 07:08 PM
just send me beer :wink:

Fwismoker
08-09-2015, 09:57 AM

1) Does a smoke ring = having smoked meat? No because the chemical reaction creating it can be artificially produced with adding sodium nitrites or sodium nitrates. Also using charcoal briquettes only produce a ton of Nitric Oxide...but don't give off the complete array of compounds that real wood does

(real wood) meaning pellets, splits, chips, chunks, etc.. Example: Cooking with only briquettes like KBB....Is that really smoking your meat or do you have to add smoking wood? Cooking with pellets, splits etc...automatically qualifies as smoked. Yes you need to burn real wood or add real wood for true smoke flavor, fully carbonized charcoal doesn't have the lignins etc...to give off what most consider true smoke flavor

3)What kind of BBQ fuel tends to make more of a smoke ring and why?Basic charcoal briquettes tend to put out the most NO nitric oxide (as does real hard wood)..which is why even those that use no wood chunks get great smoke rings. Briquettes produce more than lump charcoal and as much as real hard wood.

4) Does a smoke ring mean smoke flavor and when does it stop forming? The old thinking was 140* but it's actually up to 170* No correlation between smoke ring and smoke flavor

5) Do you have to stay within certain cook temps to say your food was smoked? Subjective but as long as smoke is hitting your meat it is collecting smoke flavor on the surface no matter what the cooking temp

6) Going off of smitty's over smoked post- A) What makes a clean fire vs dirty fire? B) Can you get better or worse smoke from how you start a charcoal fire? It comes down to complete or incomplete combustion as to how clean your fire is. [COLOR="Red"]Choking off air or mingling too many unlit briquettes with your hot lit will not have as clean of fire as it could be. Stick with a hot fire regardless of wood or briquettes

7) Are there other ways to get a smoke ring and what are they?Yes adding nitrites and nitrates to the meat will create the smoke ring effect....i.e tender quick

8 ) What parts of animals/birds give you the most smoke ring and why? The working muscles of meat will have the most smoke ring. Reason is that they contain the most myoglobin...a protein that stores oxygen

9) What's the red stuff that comes out of meat you buy?It's not blood but the protein myoglobin

10)**** Bonus Question**** Can you have too many cookers?Of course not!!!

Fwismoker
08-09-2015, 01:17 PM
revcab wins the cookie for the best quiz answers. :cool:

SGH
08-09-2015, 01:22 PM
revcab wins the cookie for the best quiz answers. :cool:

Hey, is it to late to enter? I just saw this post and haven't read anyone's answers:becky:

Fwismoker
08-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Hey, is it to late to enter? I just saw this post and haven't read anyone's answers:becky:Sure, there's still beer left!