PDA

View Full Version : New WSM Day.

innocent75
08-02-2015, 03:40 PM
So the Mrs. surprised me yesterday. Said, "I paid off the recliner. (A a true lifesaver with our 2 month old) You should go get the Weber thingy you've been oogling"

So off I went. 18.5 WSM from home depot. Put it together last night in the kitchen. Took about 20-25 min including loosening the screws so the heads all were aligned (slight case of OCD comes from years of working with cars and motorcycles that are show vehicles).

Today I fired it up wide open and threw 2 chickens on split in half. Shredded them up and have some pulled chicken sammies for us and my inlaws. Boy I am impressed. Next weekend I will throw a small brisket or butt on and see how she holds low and slow.

I am sure there will be a learning curve, but I love this smoker. Any tips or ideas would be appreciated.

yakdung
08-02-2015, 03:46 PM
Smart move and a smart man :thumb:. You will enjoy it.

Blythewood BBQ'er
08-02-2015, 03:56 PM
Congratulations!

Happy Hapgood
08-02-2015, 04:02 PM
You can't go wrong with the WSM!

...Dave
08-02-2015, 04:02 PM
congrats, youll love it after just 1 or 2 smokes. might get a mav (732 perhaps?) and a thermopop

Meatguyver
08-02-2015, 05:22 PM
Congrats and welcome to the Wsm club! Dont know if you already have but in addition to the bretheren you should take a look at http://www.virtualweberbullet.com. It has alot if info that will help you get dialed in.

Stingerhook
08-02-2015, 06:32 PM
Congrats on both new additions to the family. Just remember that even though you have OCD the Weber doesn't need to be perfectly cleaned after getting dirty unlike the 2 month old.:wink:

innocent75
08-02-2015, 06:47 PM
Congrats and welcome to the Wsm club! Dont know if you already have but in addition to the bretheren you should take a look at http://www.virtualweberbullet.com. It has alot if info that will help you get dialed in.

I made the basic chicken recipe from there and pulled it apart for pulled chicken sandwiches. Real easy and it let me burn it off good too. Real pleased all vents open and it soared along at 325°. Now it is 5 hours after lighting and is still 150° I just left the vents wide open after the cook to see how long she would stay hot. Turns out a while

innocent75
08-02-2015, 06:49 PM
Congrats on both new additions to the family. Just remember that even though you have OCD the Weber doesn't need to be perfectly cleaned after getting dirty unlike the 2 month old.:wink:

I keep the outside of all of my cookers clean. The insides get cleaned when necessary. I clean the gasser every spring inside and out. The kettle gets a full lot chimney every couple months to burn off the nasties.

chichas01
08-02-2015, 06:51 PM
your going to love it. i got my 22" WSM for Fathers Day. Welcome to the club my friend.
Wheres the pics?!?! Pics or ban! lol

Bob C Cue
08-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Congrats on the new cooker and little one. Don't forget to teach her/him if you're looking you're not cookin!

innocent75
08-02-2015, 08:11 PM
She loves watching us cook and eat. The last few months have been a blur.

My wife said, "if all we cook on the Smokey Mountain is chicken it would be fine." Followed by "Will this thing cook a brisket?"

I might have to teach her to run the WSM, but I am afraid I'll lose my rights to it.