PDA

View Full Version : Kingsford Applewood

kls44
08-01-2015, 05:39 PM
Anybody try this stuff? I picked up a bag a few days ago, used it to rotis a chicken. It looks like they mixed some apple wood sawdust into the regular charcoal before it was pressed into briquettes. It did impart a suttle flavor to the chicken, I kinda like it. Have some country style ribs getting happy with it right now.

...Dave
08-01-2015, 05:42 PM
never tried it, but i might have too now :-D

lantern
08-01-2015, 06:21 PM
That's exactly what they've done. I experienced the same as you. I still have a couple bags.

I wish they would do this with their competition blend with apple and hickory both. There's not a 100% natural briquette on the market that does this. They could really get the jump on the crowd. As it stands right now with their current formula of using the blue bag recipe with the chips mixed in I don't really want to do long cooks on large pieces of meat with it. I am more apt to use it for higher heat shorter cooks topping out at 4-5 hours with ribs. Anything over that unwrapped and I am not keen on the flavor imparted using the BB recipe with the minion method. But that's just my tastes and opinion.

Teleking
08-01-2015, 06:46 PM
That's exactly what they've done. I experienced the same as you. I still have a couple bags.

I wish they would do this with their competition blend with apple and hickory both. There's not a 100% natural briquette on the market that does this. They could really get the jump on the crowd. As it stands right now with their current formula of using the blue bag recipe with the chips mixed in I don't really want to do long cooks on large pieces of meat with it. I am more apt to use it for higher heat shorter cooks topping out at 4-5 hours with ribs. Anything over that unwrapped and I am not keen on the flavor imparted using the BB recipe with the minion method. But that's just my tastes and opinion.

There is no such thing as a 100% all natural briquette in existence and is false advertizing. Never seen a briquette grow in a fire in all my life. Anything pressed into shape by a machine is not all natural. It's fake like a cubic zirconia diamond or a canned ham.

kls44
08-01-2015, 07:09 PM
The CSR came out great, no real charcoal taste, but a hint of the apple. Don't know about long cook, it seemed to burn about the same rate as regular KBB. I took a sample of csr to my neighbor, he liked it and said he has got to get a bag.

lantern
08-01-2015, 07:25 PM
There is no such thing as a 100% all natural briquette in existence and is false advertizing. Never seen a briquette grow in a fire in all my life. Anything pressed into shape by a machine is not all natural. It's fake like a cubic zirconia diamond or a canned ham.

Yes....I understand that. But, typing out charcoal consisting of burned down wood and using a cornstarch binder seems incredibly unnecessary and anal.

AClarke44
08-01-2015, 09:41 PM
I've tried the Apple and the Hickory. They are both pretty good (better than KBB) but I'm still a Stubbs fan overall.

DBBQ
08-01-2015, 11:59 PM
I used some the last 3 days...no noticeable difference for me

Smokesignalsfromtx
08-02-2015, 05:47 AM
I've used it in my Backwoods Chubby, and my WSM. I really like the flavor it adds. I haven't used it to grill yet. I keep it in stock now.:thumb:

GreenDrake
08-02-2015, 06:44 AM
I used it last comp, did well with it. Going to use it again.

Teleking
08-02-2015, 06:41 PM
Yes....I understand that. But, typing out charcoal consisting of burned down wood and using a cornstarch binder seems incredibly unnecessary and anal.

Thumbs up on creativity but the answer is just briquettes. I'm still trying to make all natural gold out of lead 😏

New acronym CCBDWUACB

Bob C Cue
08-02-2015, 07:16 PM

Take it one step further. Unless lump is made without any human intervention it is not natural.

SGH
08-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Anybody try this stuff?

I have used it a few times. I actually like it. But with that said, I'm one of the ones who likes the blue bag as well. I know a lot of folks don't care for it but I have always had good luck with it.

Teleking
08-02-2015, 07:35 PM
Take it one step further. Unless lump is made without any human intervention it is not natural.

Forest fire started by lightning is pretty all natural in my book. I have some gold for sale, half price.

coachop94
08-02-2015, 07:51 PM
I don't do comp cooking but,I have used it. It was a subtle flavor not real smoky. The next time I used it I added hickory chips to the fire my crew really liked it. So next time I'm going to try it mixing the hickory & apple briquettes together see how that goes.