PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Franklin picks beef and does beef ribs

aawa
07-31-2015, 05:40 PM
http://video.pbs.org/video/2365518636

Fun video. Was shocked to see that he uses his thermapen to tell when the beef ribs are done!:shocked:

Markus
07-31-2015, 07:35 PM
I like his videos a lot but I wonder why he has dropped the cash for a Thermapen when he always goes by the feel. :mrgreen:

Veets
07-31-2015, 09:06 PM
From the video, which the end rib cook is a repeat of his earlier you tube one, he just used the probe as a feeling device.

But, he does go into the feel of the probe through the membranes. Which is more than i've seen and nice.

He probably mentioned temp because it isn't as taboo as some might think. It's a damn good guideline for a reason. People didn't make temps up for no reason.

Yeah, there's a range, but it does have a reason for being.

DriverWild
07-31-2015, 10:30 PM
He does cook other meats like turkey so the Thermapen comes in handy.

BBQ Freak
07-31-2015, 10:56 PM
he might go by feel himself but keeps it where people leaning get the idea on the meat temp , people got to start somewhere .

SlowSmoked
08-01-2015, 09:24 AM
he might go by feel himself but keeps it where people leaning get the idea on the meat temp , people got to start somewhere .

this ^^ He's just dumbing it down for beginning/novice smokers.

Mdboatbum
08-01-2015, 10:23 AM
I started cooking all my ribs to temp a while ago. I'll never do it any other way again. Perfect consistency each and every time with no guesswork, no foIL and no BS. Having a Thermapen with its thin probe and the sensor being right at the tip makes it much easier.

silverfinger
08-01-2015, 11:58 AM
I use a thermapen to check my short ribs.
Only to see if they are probe tender.
Cant say that I look at the temp when checking them.

Novass
08-01-2015, 12:50 PM
Being left handed I can't see the temp anyways. It's just a thin high dollar probe.

aawa
08-01-2015, 07:55 PM
I have a thermapen and it is my probe to test for tenderness.

I do use it when cooking turkey, chicken, standing rib roasts, and anything that isn't cooked till "probe tender"

Clay-b-que
08-01-2015, 09:25 PM
Yep use the thermapen more to probe but it is interesting to also see the temp.

Roguejim
08-01-2015, 09:29 PM
I started cooking all my ribs to temp a while ago. I'll never do it any other way again. Perfect consistency each and every time with no guesswork, no foIL and no BS. Having a Thermapen with its thin probe and the sensor being right at the tip makes it much easier.

What temp do you shoot for?

mikemci
08-02-2015, 01:55 AM
In the video, it looks like Mueller's is resting the ribs, wrapped in plastic wrap. Maybe the bark gets a little too hard and that softens it up.? Thanks for posting aawa!