PDA

View Full Version : Lemon Chipotle Chicken on Primo XL

Wolverine1967
07-28-2015, 08:51 PM
Sorry that this isn't a Live Cook thread, but I hope you all (y'all) won't care!

Repeating a favorite recipe -- posted once already this summer -- but I fine tuned it and want to share so others can enjoy!

I still can't figure out how to upload multiple pics at the same time from the iPad so there are several "replies" to get them all uploaded one at a time.

Let's go in reverse chronological order.....

(And btw, learned something about Wicked Good Charcoal and my FlameBoss.)

Wolverine1967
07-28-2015, 08:53 PM
Birds just off grill...

Wolverine1967
07-28-2015, 08:55 PM
Birds reach IT of 180*F while on grill...

93vpmod
07-28-2015, 08:56 PM
Birds look awesome!!!

Wolverine1967
07-28-2015, 08:58 PM
(Put on your gravity boots.)

How the ingredients came together...

Wolverine1967
07-28-2015, 09:01 PM
The only electric appliance permitted at the lake is a blender. This recipe is compliant with the stated policy.

Wolverine1967
07-28-2015, 09:02 PM
Blended, not stirred or shaken. Loosen skin on the chickens, put "marinade" (?) under skin, reserve half for basting throughout cook. Tie the chickens with kitchen string to keep all wings and legs snug.

Wolverine1967
07-28-2015, 09:13 PM
And finally, two things which I learned today...

1) Wicked Good Charcoal ("Jake's Blend") burns hot, leaves little ash and goes for * pharking * ever. I did a 9+ hour cook last weekend on a pork butt and did a 6 hour cook on these chickens and DID NOT RELOAD charcoal from one cook to the other. Not sure if that surprises anybody else, but I am very pleased with that result. Temps were targeted at 225*F but often wandered a bit higher.

2) When using a FlameBoss and the "pit" temp sensor and the "meat" temp sensor contact each other :doh:, the meat temp sensor read out on the wi-fi is "32*F" and the device LCD screen reads "LOW". This came about when rotating the rack holding the birds. (Wanted each bird over direct heat and indirect heat for equal,amount of time.). I accidentally touched the leads together when rotating the rack on the grate. Was worried initially but once I figured it out it all made sense.

See the attached chart where the orange line spikes down to 32*F.

mrboy
07-28-2015, 10:12 PM
Wow, my neck hurts... but the chicken looks really good!

Smoke on Badger Mountain
07-29-2015, 01:40 AM
That's some good looking chicken!

BigBobBQ
07-29-2015, 03:16 AM
nice looking chicken. The only way to do multi pics on Ipad is to upload to photobucket of other sharing site and then past the IMG link right into the text window here.

Wolverine1967
07-29-2015, 05:49 AM
Thanks, Bob. Appreciate the compliment and the I/T advice!

Norm
07-29-2015, 08:19 AM
Nice birds!

I've been using Jake's Blend also and love it.

arclite
07-29-2015, 11:20 AM
Looks great!

Jake's Blend could be interesting. I just recently had a not so great bag of Royal Oak and might look into WGC.

Wolverine1967
07-29-2015, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the compliment! They were tasty.

I've been using Jake's Blend also and love it.

Just ordered two more bags. Great price per bag, but the FedEx is a killer (it is more costly than the charcoal!). :doh:

Wolverine1967
07-29-2015, 01:56 PM
Looks great!

Thank you!

I just recently had a not so great bag of Royal Oak and might look into WGC.

Interesting, that's my next brand to try as it seems to be easier to get and still gets great reviews on nakedwhiz. Thanks for the heads up.

THoey1963
07-29-2015, 02:10 PM
Great looking birds. What's the recipe for the marinade? Would not have thought of lemon and chipotle together? How's it taste?

Wolverine1967
07-29-2015, 03:00 PM
Great looking birds.

Thank you!

What's the recipe for the marinade?

Basically everything you see on the counter..... I'll come back and edit amounts on fluids, but from memory it is:

1 small onion (quartered)
8 garlic cloves
3 adobo chiles
2 tbsp of sauce from the can of adobo chiles
3 tsp of white vinegar
3/4 cup of fresh lemon juice (about 6 large lemons)
1/4 cup olive oil
3 chicken bullion cubes
3/4 tsp of kosher salt

Mix it all in the blender. It is more than enough for two birds but might be enough for three if you baste lightly (or potentially not at all, but not recommended) during the cook.

Loosen the skin of the chickens. Set aside about half of the marinade in a bowl for basting during the cook. Put the other half the marinade under the chicken skins and in the cavities. Throw about 1 1/4 tsp of kosher salt on the birds after putting the marinade under the skin.

Tie the birds with kitchen string to keep arms and legs inside the moving vehicle at all times.

We cooked at 225*F looking for an internal temp in the thigh of 180*F. The key part (I discovered by accident) is to do half the time with direct heat and the other half indirect. The whole time with direct heat is too much and no direct heat leaves the skin less than crispy. See next paragraph below as to why this is important.

How's it taste?

My wife pulled the wings off BOTH birds -- I was lucky to get one. They are the best wings she's had. She never eats dark meat and can't keep away from the drumsticks and thighs. The crisp on these with the direct heat makes the difference. She claimed last night it is the only thing she loves grilled more than steak.

If indirect heat, the wings and drumsticks are left on the plate because the skin is soft. No matter what you do with direct or indirect heat, the breast is awesome, but with enough direct heat and crispy skin, the flavor elsewhere on the birds is too hard to compete with.

We do two birds -- one for a meal and the other for making into other sandwiches, wraps, salads, etc. the next few days -- and they don't last long (especially if the kids come back home once they hear we cooked again).

If you try it, let me know how it goes!!

THoey1963
07-29-2015, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the info!

arclite
07-29-2015, 06:35 PM
Thank you!

Interesting, that's my next brand to try as it seems to be easier to get and still gets great reviews on nakedwhiz. Thanks for the heads up.

I'd still give it a try.

This was my first "iffy" bag from Royal Oak, and it was fine once the dirty smoke burned off.

My previous bags of RO (going back to last season) burned clean almost from initial lighting, with white smoke and a sweet maple smell turning to the usual thin blue smoke. I got so lazy that I would put meat on a low and slow at lighting. That's how confident I had become with RO.

We'll see with the next bag.

cowgirl
07-29-2015, 11:05 PM
Looks excellent!! Thanks for the post!

Wolverine1967
07-30-2015, 06:54 AM
Looks excellent!! Thanks for the post!

Thanks, Jeannie. Means a lot coming from you. :bow:

After seeing your cooks here and on your blog, this was pretty basic in comparison.

I mean really... chorizo and potatoes with egg divots and warmed tortillas over a camp fire on a windy day while fishing? You are like McGyver but with charcoal.

:thumb:

Wolverine1967
07-30-2015, 06:57 AM
I'd still give it a try.

Will do. :becky: