PDA

View Full Version : I'm in trouble! Being asked to make pulled pork!

TonyBen
07-28-2015, 09:06 AM
I own a Traeger and I've done pulled pork plenty of times on it. It's stupid easy!

I'm visiting my mom next week (out of state) and she wants me to make pulled pork. She has a gas grill and a standard Weber charcoal grill. I have no idea how to pull this off! I haven't cooked with charcoal in forever!

Can anyone link me with an idjits guide to using charcoal on pulled pork? I used the search function but so much stuff pops up, it's tough sorting though all the info.

I'll keep digging, but if anyone can link me with the basics, that would be appreciated.

Tony.

Ron_L
07-28-2015, 09:11 AM
Relax :-D You're in the right place!

This thread shows how folks do long cooks in a Weber kettle.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129246

Read through it and a lot of your questions should be answered. Lots of guys here use kettles with great results. You can also search for 'snake method' for more info.

TonyBen
07-28-2015, 09:13 AM
Hitting the thanks isn't enough! THANKS!!

Tony.

Wampus
07-28-2015, 09:15 AM
Oh now calm down. All you need is a Weber kettle. :becky:

Just set it up for indirect. Bank the charcoal on one side of the kettle, mix in some chunks throughout. Even make a charcoal snake on one side or even all the way around the outside of the kettle. Put a pan in the middle of the charcoal grate with some apple juice or water in it to catch drippings, or even dry. Light one end of the snake with 2-3 lit pieces of coal. Rub the butt like you normally do, put it in the middle and let that thing rock.

If you have a remote thermo, take it with you and use it to track the temp of the smoker at grate level. Keep the top vent open all the way and BARELY crack the bottom vent until you get the kettle to stabilize at temp. Let it cook until you think it's time to check for probe tender or color. Wrap if you want or just let it go.

As normal, yank it off the smoker when it's probe tender, pull it and let Mom enjoy it!

Good luck.
You'll be fine.
You got this!

mjpmap
07-28-2015, 09:15 AM
TonyBen, I had a similiar circumstance yesterday. We're in Newfoundland visiting friends who requested pulled pork. Only thing available was a Weber three burner gas. Bought apple chips and wrapped them in foil, put them on the deflector plates for the smoke. Put two butts in the middle and used only the outside burners on low. Cooked at 315 for a five hour cook. Made Carolina sauce and a whiskey sauce. Wasn't anything like the results from my Primo, but everyone was more than satisfied. Good Luck!! BTW, two pork butts were $68 Canadian.

Ron_L
07-28-2015, 09:18 AM
Also... This thread may help, plus it has links to two posts by 1buckie that have pictures of how he sets up his kettle for long cooks.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197398

1buckie
07-28-2015, 09:46 AM
Also... This thread may help, plus it has links to two posts by 1buckie that have pictures of how he sets up his kettle for long cooks.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197398

Thanks, Ron.....little slow on the draw lately.....

TonyBen, those links in the other link are likely the ones I would have put up for you.....pulled pork is right back to being stupid easy......:laugh:

legendaryhog
07-28-2015, 11:52 AM
You could make it at home on your cooker too, pull it a few hours early and throw it in a cooler with some towels around it. How far are you going? I've done briskets 2/3 of the way, thrown them in a cooler and drove four hours, they were done when I arrived. Not ideal, but pulled pork would be even easier. Unfortunately, your bark gets a little soggy this way, but if you want to save yourself some time while visiting...just throwin it out there.

jjjonz
07-28-2015, 11:59 AM
When you say "make" pull pork what are you saying ? Crock pot...pressure cooker...sou vide...oven baked....grilled...or maybe smoked ??? lol :-D

Skip
07-28-2015, 12:20 PM
one thing about the snake is you should turn the meat as the snake approaches the meat.

TonyBen
07-28-2015, 12:50 PM
My mom has a crock pot, a gas grill and a plain jane weber. It's a 13 hour drive. We get there on Wednesday and will Q on Saturday for a big family BBQ.

My aunt is fighting cancer again so we don't know how long she'll be with us, so we're all getting together just in case. She may pull through, or not.

Tony.

TheWolfePit
07-28-2015, 01:56 PM
BBQ Pulled Pork - Pulled Pork BBQ on a Weber Kettle - YouTube

hb2301
07-28-2015, 03:38 PM
I'd make it easy on myself. Cook it and pull it at home, then freeze it. It'll easily make it 13 hours in a cooler. Then just heat it up when you get there. Ideally you'll use a vacuum sealer because then you can just throw the sealed package in simmering water to heat it up. But slow and easy in the microwave will work too. Spend the time with the family, not stressing over the meal!

AlwaysSmokey
07-28-2015, 04:16 PM
Pre made ain't a bad idea. Use what you know at home... etc..

But many a good butts have come off of weber kettles. The advice and links already given cement that.

Good luck,

Kevin

jjjonz
07-28-2015, 04:26 PM
My mom has a crock pot, a gas grill and a plain jane weber. It's a 13 hour drive. We get there on Wednesday and will Q on Saturday for a big family BBQ.

My aunt is fighting cancer again so we don't know how long she'll be with us, so we're all getting together just in case. She may pull through, or not.

Tony.

It was just a joke about people saying they are "making" food instead of cooking it. I do apologize if I offended you. Sorry to hear about your aunt and hope she beats the cancer. The snake method works great for me and I know it will work for you. I would foil it and wrap it in a towel in a igloo cooler for a hour or so when it reaches 200 degrees. Good luck and et us know how it goes.
The Snake Method - Charcoal Kettle Tutorial, Low and Slow Technique - YouTube

rookiedad
07-28-2015, 07:44 PM
charcoal is great but i would ask about the burner configuration on the gas grill first. if there are four going front to back, you could shut two down and establish 250* with an oven timer and then just smolder some chunks in a tinfoil pouch with some holes punched into it over the on burners. keep the pork over the off burners with a pan underneath and there will be alot less margin for error.

MAB52
07-28-2015, 08:55 PM
Sorry to hear about your aunt, praying she pulls through. Also if you are going to use the weber you will probably want to source your wood chunks and charcoal before you leave. You will do fine, let us know how it goes.

Wolverine1967
07-28-2015, 09:24 PM
Tony, I hope your aunt kicks cancer in the ass once and for all. Keep us posted.

This thread shows a lot about how much knowledge is here -- thanks for all the info that came out for us all to absorb.

I'm sure the PP will turn out marvelous!

TonyBen
07-29-2015, 09:22 AM
Thanks for all the help, brethren! I'll read up, learn and give it a shot!

Tony.