PDA

View Full Version : Favorite BBQ book new and old?

allboy
07-26-2015, 07:26 PM
So what BBQ books do you have? Mine are mostly older but have helped my learn about the art of BBQ:

Peace, love BBQ
Smoke and Spice
Extreme barbecue
Texas BBQ cookbook

unixadm
07-26-2015, 07:34 PM
I'm reading Aaron Franklin's BBQ book and so far it's been a really good read. I'd recommend it!

Jorge
07-26-2015, 07:44 PM
Not necessarily BBQ, but The Fearless Chef by Andy Husbands who happens to be a BBQ guy. Great book that helped keep my mind open, and helped my cooking in general and some areas of BBQ in particular.

IamMadMan
07-26-2015, 07:46 PM
There are so many books covering different topics and the different approaches to the hobby, that there is a wealth of information out there.

My first book was
Meat Smoking And Smokehouse Design
by Stanley Marianski and Robert Marianski

This also escalated my interest in making ham, bacon, and sausage.

I have about a dozen books, some good, some not so good, and others are great. But not everyone has the same interests.

LYU370
07-26-2015, 07:48 PM
Peace Love & BBQ has some great stories in it. Also have the Great Meat Cookbook, smoke & spice, Dr. BBQ Big Time BBQ book, Famous Dave's Backroads & Sidestreets and a several others that I don't recall offhand.

ichbin73
07-26-2015, 07:50 PM
Just got Franklins Book and read it in a day, it's that good...(: Not a lot of bs, just good stuff to think about.
I've had Peace, Love, and BBQ for years and like that one too...

yakdung
07-26-2015, 07:51 PM
A BBQ book

wjwheeler
07-26-2015, 08:35 PM
Smokin' with Myron Mixon.......

abrignac
07-26-2015, 08:39 PM
I'd have to say Aaron Franklin's book simply because it's the only BBQ book in my vast collection.

mikemci
07-26-2015, 09:29 PM
I'd have to say Aaron Franklin's book simply because it's the only BBQ book in my vast collection.
Good read.

2Hot2Handle
07-26-2015, 10:09 PM
Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue. I read it front to back like I was reading a novel! It's still full of bookmarks.

allboy
07-26-2015, 11:22 PM
Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue. I read it front to back like I was reading a novel! It's still full of bookmarks.
Yep ^^^^^^^

Swine Spectator
07-26-2015, 11:43 PM
Old:
The Great American Barbecue Manual - Smokey Hale
I'm glad I ate when I did, 'cause I;m not hungry now - Caleb Pirtle

New:
Barbecue Manifesto - Aaron Franklin
Serious Barbecue - Adam Perry Lang
Charred and Scruffed - Adam Perry Lang

ejmiller
07-27-2015, 01:39 PM
another vote for:
Serious Barbecue - Adam Perry Lang

It really changed how I cook

Bob C Cue
07-27-2015, 02:30 PM
Fwismoker's "Spinning Manifesto."

SmokinBuddha
07-27-2015, 02:48 PM
I also recommend Aaron Franklin new BBQ book.

mwmac
07-27-2015, 03:32 PM
Can't pick one; find all to be very useful: Legends of Texas BBQ; Peace Love and BBQ; APL's books; Kirk's Championship etc.

One book that I have not seen mentioned here but is worth a read is Holy Smoke by McKinney. Great insight, recipes and photos of North Carolina bbq.

2liter
07-27-2015, 08:49 PM
Steven Raichlen's Barbecue Bible Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes

Smokin with Myron Mixon

iBBQ
07-27-2015, 09:15 PM
Smokin' with Myron Mixon.......

I read this book recently and was not impressed. If you are new to smoking and looking for 'all the answers', this is definitely not the book for you.

Ron_L
07-27-2015, 09:17 PM
Peace Love and BBQ by Mike Mills

hammb
07-27-2015, 09:23 PM
Can't pick one; find all to be very useful: Legends of Texas BBQ; Peace Love and BBQ; APL's books; Kirk's Championship etc.

One book that I have not seen mentioned here but is worth a read is Holy Smoke by McKinney. Great insight, recipes and photos of North Carolina bbq.

Glad to see a mention of holy smoke. I keep putting it off buying it but I really wanna read that one...sounds up my alley.

Have to get ahold of a copy of franklins book as well...seems mighty popular.

As for me peace, love, and bbq is hands down my favorite. Love the stories...that's what bbq is about (is holy smoke similar?).

Doesn't hurt that mills put his recipes in there too. I still used modified versions of his sauce and rub as my go to for ribs and pulled pork.

WhitesideJC
07-27-2015, 09:53 PM
+1 for APL Serious Barbecue

markdtn
07-28-2015, 07:45 AM
Chris Lilly "Big Bob Gibson BBQ Book" is my #1-I have never made anything that wasn't good from it.
Myron Mixon "Smokin" is my #2

Didn't much care for the sequels to either one.

Have made some good stuff from Wicked BBQ and BBQ Bible. I do enjoy watching Steven Raichlen's show on PBS.

Really enjoyed the read on Mike Mills "Peace, Love, & BBQ" (and I have been trying all the BBQ restaurants listed in the back as I travel). The potato salad is very good. To be fair, some of the meat recipes look good, but I haven't tried any.

I have read the Texas Legends and Holy Smoke and enjoyed the read, but not so much recipes.

Didn't care for Low-N-Slow or Smoke-N-Spice.

I have come to a point where I could never make stuff from all of them. I would rather try to perfect a few out of 1 or 2 than try to find more and more books. There is such a nice variety of recipes in Myron's book and Chris's book that I will keep working those. Plus I went to Myron's class and I want to hone what I learned.

MJ_Tenn
07-28-2015, 02:05 PM
Without a doubt, Aaron Franklin's book

zx354
07-31-2015, 11:04 AM
Amazon Kindle $0.99 Book Deal:
Real BBQ: The Ultimate Step-by-Step Smoker Cookbook

Quote from book preview: "Thing is, if you're throwing burgers, steaks and hot dogs on a grill for a hot second, that's not true barbecue; that's grilling. Real barbecue takes time, patience, and planning."

That's my pet peeve. I can't stand it when folks say "barbecue" when they are really grilling. I'll skip a store bought coffee and pick it up for a buck. What's to lose?

legendaryhog
07-31-2015, 11:19 AM
Mike Mills, Paul Kirk, Chris Lilly. In that order. I've got APL and AF's new book too, but they are not breaking my top five. Myron Mixon??? Please. Read "Everyday BBQ" and laugh your ass off.

gtr
07-31-2015, 11:38 AM
The one I use the most is the Big Bob Gibson book by Chis Lilly. I always find something in there that's interesting and everything turns out great. The Aaron Franklin book is great and could end up being a favorite - time will tell and so far so good! I love the Legends of Texas book as well - great straight up stuff.