PDA

View Full Version : Pork belly and methods...help

Beentown
07-23-2015, 09:43 PM
I see varying methods for pork belly. Some are a relatively short cooks and others stating it taking up to 6 hours.

What is you preferred method? I have always started at a high temp (375ish) for about 30 minutes and then down to 275 until the IT hits 145ish. Rest then slice.

I see guys taking it for hours after a high temp. I would think it would turn into pulled bacon if taken to probe tender and high IT.

What say you?

thaifighter06
07-24-2015, 03:18 PM
Duder. Here's an easy way to do this. Get a bag of Tenderquick (super fine salt) and some turbinado sugar. Coat both sides of the belly generously and place in a vacuum sealed bag or a freezer ziplock and get as much air out as you can.

Let it cure in the fridge for 48 hours. Take it out, rinse it off with cold water and pat dry. Get your favorite rub and sprinkle. Cook around 250 until 150-160 on the inside and let rest. If you so desire, make a glaze or use your favorite bbq sauce and put back in the cooker or under the broiler until carmelization occurs. Slice as thick as you want and throw in the frying pan until crispy as fark on both sides.

I've made this makeshift bacon recipe a few times and it's lights out. It's salty, but not too salty and the glaze gives it an added sweet bonus. Please let me know if you try this. Shabooyah.

Be prepared for your life to change shortly thereafter.

grantw
07-24-2015, 03:55 PM
Are we making bacon here? Or belly? Belly just being not curred. I cook the belly at 250 until probe tender and can be pulled. Bacon i use tenderquick and regular sugar and cook till 150

bacchus99
07-24-2015, 04:25 PM
I cooked about a 1.5lb piece of uncured regular belly last weekend. I smoked at 300 until probed like butter(took about 4 or 5 hours) and rested about 30mins. I then sliced it into chunks and ate as a treat. Unbelievable.

I couldn't imagine cooking until only 145F...seems like the fat would not be rendered.