PDA

View Full Version : Replace leg on Weber Silver 22.5"

lhommedieu
07-23-2015, 10:56 AM
The leg is broken and detached from the body of the grill. Anyone ever replaced and fixed this? I couldn't find a replacement leg on Weber's site, but maybe an aluminim tube will suffice?

I think that fixing it is a better alternative than just throwing it out. It gives me a side grill for corn, vegetables, etc.

BBQPETE
07-23-2015, 11:05 AM
Did the weld break

lhommedieu
07-23-2015, 11:35 AM
Do you mean the weld that attaches the bracket to body of the kettle? Yes - the bracket is detached from the body, but there are no tears on the body so I'm assuming that I can just reattatch it with nuts and bolts if I drill three small holes in the bracket and match them up with three small holes in the body.

I'll also have to figure out how to take the wheel off of the axle, and if I get a piece of alluminum tubing, hammer down one end to make if flat and drill a hole through the flat end to fit it on to the axle.

yakdung
07-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Have any welding buddies? Hit it with a tack from a Mig welder.

BBQPETE
07-24-2015, 08:24 AM
Weber will replace the bottom dish it happened to me

1buckie
07-24-2015, 09:17 AM
Do you mean the weld that attaches the bracket to body of the kettle? Yes - the bracket is detached from the body, but there are no tears on the body so I'm assuming that I can just reattatch it with nuts and bolts if I drill three small holes in the bracket and match them up with three small holes in the body.

I'll also have to figure out how to take the wheel off of the axle, and if I get a piece of alluminum tubing, hammer down one end to make if flat and drill a hole through the flat end to fit it on to the axle.

You can do this, just peen the tabs on the socket first so the drill bit doesn't wander.....maybe dab a little JB Weld before it goes back together.....

If the leg's not really damaged, just use the same one..........

Some people put a large flat washer on the inside for extra strength, but if it's a One Touch, that gets in the way of the sweeps.....even small nuts / bolts will still stop where the sweep goes, so plan out maybe moving the sweeps 1/3 of the way around if it works better....

To take the wheel off, just pop the little hubcap off.....use a rag around pliers or grips so it doesn't damage the cap....hardware's have those for cheap if it does.....

1buckie
07-24-2015, 09:19 AM

You can do this, just peen the tabs on the socket first so the drill bit doesn't wander.....maybe dab a little JB Weld before it goes back together.....

Welding is an idea, but the porcelain is right there & you have to grind out a clean area for the weld to take.....not worth the trouble & extra "damage" for a tiny area.....

If the leg's not really damaged, just use the same one..........

Some people put a large flat washer on the inside for extra strength, but if it's a One Touch, that gets in the way of the sweeps.....even small nuts / bolts will still stop where the sweep goes, so plan out maybe moving the sweeps 1/3 of the way around if it works better....

To take the wheel off, just pop the little hubcap off.....use a rag around pliers or grips so it doesn't damage the cap....hardware's have those for cheap if it does.....

robert-r
07-24-2015, 10:26 AM
I would go the drill holes, nuts & bolt routine. I have welded to Weber porcelain before and it's a pain in the kisster. Would not do it again.