PDA

View Full Version : Backwoods vs. UDS - let the battle begin!

mrboy
07-19-2015, 07:33 PM
Ok, got my dream smoker this year, Backwoods Chubby G2 thinking it would replace the UDS I built 3 years ago.

About a month after the new smoker arrived, my wife says, "when are you getting rid of the old one?" I tell her you never get rid of an old smoker, you just don't use it as much. She says it can stay as long as I move one of the Weber's out of sight. Happy wife, happy life.

Now that I've had the Backwoods for a few months I've come to some conclusions. 1) Backwoods is a pork/beef cook'in machine. Ribs/Butt/Brisket/Chuckies are excellent. 2) I love the access to the meat (smoke chamber) and the firebox. You can easily access loads of mead by opening the door and sliding the racks in and out. 3) Temp control is a dream, why would you spend extra on a guru? 4) Smoke flavor is mellow compared to the UDS - no drippings hitting the fire. I think you can tune the flavor of the smoke to the meat. 5) Cleanup is a pain, but worth the gain.

Poultry is a different game. Chicken off my UDS just kicks butt compared to the Backwoods. Between the drippings hitting the fire and the ease of cranking the temps up to 325+ it's a no brainer. Bird off the UDS is hands down better.

I love my Backwoods and I still love my UDS.

cowgirl
07-19-2015, 07:35 PM
I would keep both of them.

SGH
07-19-2015, 09:26 PM
I would keep both of them.

What she said^^^^^^^^. You can never have to many smokers or grills.

grantw
07-19-2015, 09:38 PM
Just tell her a girl in the brethern said to keep em both.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
07-19-2015, 09:46 PM
Keeping them both is a no brainer. Even if you need to hide one.

Melissaredhead
07-19-2015, 09:50 PM
Tell her everything you said here!
It comes down to great quality food!!!
Win win

pjtexas1
07-19-2015, 09:58 PM
You can use more chunks to get more smoke. Try without water or try a pan in the water pan to make cleanup easier.

Longbow63
07-19-2015, 11:06 PM
Keep all them toys....always!