PDA

View Full Version : 3rd try pizza on the Akorn Finally nailed it!!

ButtBurner
07-19-2015, 06:52 AM
The 2 other attempts the pizza tasted fine but I had real troubles transferring it from the kitchen to the blazing hot pizza stone on the Akorn

I used the parchment paper cheat on it last night and that did the trick!

ebijack
07-19-2015, 06:55 AM
Nice Brian!

Stingerhook
07-19-2015, 07:23 AM
That looks great. Delivery?

LostArrow
07-19-2015, 07:24 AM
Yours looks a lot better than mine!
I engineered a large pizza stone to have a larger landing area.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz203/Lostarrow-photos/1032C331-331C-4FF0-95FE-9AF2F7ECE29D.jpg

smoke ninja
07-19-2015, 07:26 AM
Pizza is on my list.

ButtBurner
07-19-2015, 07:27 AM
Mine looked like that

one I had to make into a calzone lol

still tasted great!!

robbq
07-19-2015, 07:34 AM
Great looking pizza, what was your cook temp? I've done pizza on my big green egg a few times and it comes out great but the first couple times I had problems with the crust burning before the top was done.

ButtBurner
07-19-2015, 07:51 AM
Great looking pizza, what was your cook temp? I've done pizza on my big green egg a few times and it comes out great but the first couple times I had problems with the crust burning before the top was done.

about 550f

I have an old cast iron skillet with the handle cut off as a heat deflector

the warming rack that comes with the Akorn puts it at a perfect level high enough away from the heat underneath and close enough to the heat coming off the top of the lid

dport7
07-19-2015, 08:17 AM
Nailed it for sure, that looks great and had to taste that way too.

Big George's BBQ
07-19-2015, 08:23 AM
Yes You really did nail it

bassmaster16
07-20-2015, 11:38 AM
Did you put the pizza stone on top of the warmer rack and then laid the parchment paper on top of the stone?

Ron_L
07-20-2015, 11:43 AM
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

ButtBurner
07-20-2015, 11:45 AM
Did you put the pizza stone on top of the warmer rack and then laid the parchment paper on top of the stone?

yes sort of

I put the pizza stone on the warming rack. I support the rack with an empty beer can

I cut out the parch paper in the shape of the pizza. make the pizza right on the paper.

Slip the peel under the paper, then slide the pizza on the paper onto the pre heated stone.

After about 2 minutes, I slide the paper out. The crust is set up by then

its a breeze from there!!

BigBobBQ
07-21-2015, 02:04 AM
sweet looking pie.

cheez59
07-21-2015, 05:39 AM
Very nice pizza right there.

sam3
07-21-2015, 05:58 AM
Great looking pie. I like the parchment paper idea.

Decoy205
07-21-2015, 06:04 AM
This is exactly what I'm hoping to try. Those pies look great! I have a couple of questions:

Was it 550 using the dome therm?
How long did you cook them about?
How did you light the coals? Just dump a chimney of lit or did you cook something first then Dial the heat up to 550 and cook off the black smoke before putting pies on?

Thanks for posting this!!

ButtBurner
07-21-2015, 06:16 AM
The 550f was grate temp, I am not sure what the dome temp was. Sometimes the dome temp gauge is accurate, sometimes not. Depends mostly on how long its running

Took about 10 mins give or take. I kept peeking at it so that can vary

To light the coals I do it the same every time, for hot or low and slow fire. Build a pile and light the middle with my Mapp torch and slowly let it come up to temp.

The Akorn takes so little fuel I like to let it stabilize with the pizza stone on it for a good long time before I start cooking.

So I take my time letting it come to temp and go make the pizza

Bigdog
07-21-2015, 06:28 AM
What is the purpose of the parchment paper?

ButtBurner
07-21-2015, 06:38 AM
What is the purpose of the parchment paper?

keeps the pizza in perfect shape when transferring to and from the peel and is much much easier to deal with

I know experienced people have no problem with this

but I am not

so I do

:mrgreen:

Decoy205
07-21-2015, 07:00 AM
The 550f was grate temp, I am not sure what the dome temp was. Sometimes the dome temp gauge is accurate, sometimes not. Depends mostly on how long its running

To light the coals I do it the same every time, for hot or low and slow fire. Build a pile and light the middle with my Mapp torch and slowly let it come up to temp.

The Akorn takes so little fuel I like to let it stabilize with the pizza stone on it for a good long time before I start cooking.

Thanks a lot for the tips man! I can't wait to give it a shot. The dough recipe I'm using is quite wet so the parchment paper was definitely part of the plan. I'm gonna buy that brinkmann pizza stone too seems like a great bargain and looks to fit perfectly!

ButtBurner
07-21-2015, 07:21 AM
I have been using the recipe that comes with my old bread machine.

From the time I turn the switch on I have dough in 120 minutes

and its great dough, just a basic recipe

churrodog
07-21-2015, 07:53 AM
My local grocery store always has fresh perfectly folded up dough for like two bucks so I haven't ventured into making my own.

I have only done them once but I am digging the parchment paper idea, that transfer seemed impossible! I need to pick up a peel.

Great looking pie!

churrodog
07-21-2015, 07:58 AM

I've started lighting mine up the same way too. They use such a small amount of lump that I can run it for hours before cranking up the temp and not feel like anything is being wasted. It does take a few extra minutes to really crank it up from lower temps with the diffuser in there as opposed to direct.

A cheap oven thermometer does wonders for knowing what your heat is really doing at the grate level. Just open up the exhaust and peek in. You can easily peek on the pizzas too.

BBQ Bacon
07-21-2015, 08:09 AM
Nice. I should stop coming here in the morning after eating a bowl of cold cereal!

ichbin73
07-22-2015, 04:50 AM
On my Akorn I use the Lodge 14" pizza pan on the main grate, with a pizza stone heat deflector under the grate. Drizzle a little olive oil on the cast iron, then slide the crust onto the pan and quickly/gently press it to size on the pizza pan. less then 5 minutes its set and just a little browned, I take it off and flip it bottom up, add all the toppings, return to the pan (with now the un-browned crust down) and leave it till the toppings are done to perfection. Works well for me. A pizza peel is very handy for this.