PDA

View Full Version : Why I got another Gas Grill

LostArrow
07-18-2015, 12:48 PM
I've cooked with get charcoal grills my whole life. I'm now 61 and been using charcoal for over 40 years.
About 12 years ago my oldest child moved home and brought her gas grill with her. I used it a lot over the year she lived with us and then she moved and took it with her. 10 years ago my family bought me a nice Vermont castings three burner basic gas grill. Over the years I've learned to use it for several things. The most common thing I use it for is a finishing oven. Most of the time now I will smoke things about 5 to 6 hours ( ribs about two hours) on on my smoker. Then foil or pan and finish on my gas grill.
When I do smoke I usually smoke much more than I will plan on eating at the time and foil and vacuum seal. When I want something smoked quickly I will on defrost and finish on the gas grill.

I do use the gas grill for primary grilling about four months of the year. January and February the days are so short and it's cold enough that when I get home I have no desire to like the charcoal in the cold & dark. July and August in Mississippi the less time you spend out in the evening the better!

So when I noticed the firebox beginning to fail on the Vermont Casting after 10 years I found a 4 y/o Weber Genesis S-330 New style for $350 I bought it!

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz203/Lostarrow-photos/E85C7942-A158-46A6-8D06-3A6E3F4BA3C7.jpg

SmittyJonz
07-18-2015, 12:57 PM
:thumb: I still use mine for week nite grilling.

16Adams
07-18-2015, 12:57 PM
Any man/woman in control of their scene is a beautiful thing.

Good job !!!

macjedi
07-18-2015, 01:04 PM
Congrats! I just got a gasser delivered today … Weber Spirit E-310. I haven't had a gas grill for years. I'm very excited to use it, but anything I can think of cooking today I'd rather do on a kettle :doh:

Big George's BBQ
07-18-2015, 01:05 PM
I really like my Weber Genesis It is great on week nights when I get home from work and when it is too icy to use my Egg On weekends I like to use my Egg

LostArrow
07-18-2015, 01:17 PM
Congrats! I just got a gasser delivered today … Weber Spirit E-310. I haven't had a gas grill for years. I'm very excited to use it, but anything I can think of cooking today I'd rather do on a kettle :doh:
Grilling on a gasser is a little different than charcoal.
Since gas doesn't add much flavor I tend to marinate & season more.
Usually cook things that require a quick sear , like fish , shrimp, scallops & steaks & chops.
Is at as good as charcoal, probably not but its better than a pan seared steak & doesn't heat up the house!

Chef Jim
07-18-2015, 01:24 PM
I gave away my gasser years ago and haven't missed it at all. I do most of my grilling on a weber performer, and smoke on a mini wsm.

But I do understand that sometimes a gasser is very handy.

Bludawg
07-18-2015, 01:42 PM
I rent mine out to the black widows in the barn, that Weber make a cozy condo

Melissaredhead
07-18-2015, 02:45 PM
For quick cooks or weekday meals when your tired gassers are easy.

However I find lighting the fire and waiting...calming?
Sitting in front of the rig is.....relaxing?
Watching a thermometer is........soothing?

BBQ is my therapy I guess.

Oh, and all BBQ enthusiasts are really just pyros.

dport7
07-18-2015, 03:47 PM
Congrats on your new grill, the price sounds good. Hope you have as many good years out of it, as you did you old one.

ButtBurner
07-18-2015, 03:51 PM
congrats

I am more interested in your NB El Dorado!

I have one of those, dont see many around!!!

THoey1963
07-18-2015, 03:59 PM
Nice gasser, looks like mine, well, except for it being clean... :mrgreen:

cowgirl
07-18-2015, 04:38 PM
Congrats on your new grill! I agree, it's nice to have one around. :thumb:

Happy Hapgood
07-18-2015, 06:28 PM
I'll always have a gasser around for the reasons you outlined. Great price on the Weber!

highergr0und
07-18-2015, 07:08 PM
Just got my first gas grill. It's just nice that I can have some meals done in about the time it took my kettle to be hot enough to cook. So now I've got a.charcoal smoker and a gasser. I can do it all

Nuco59
07-18-2015, 08:50 PM
/raises hand I-too am a gasser user. Sure- I'd rather run my weber kettle or one of my smokers- but it's convenient to fire up the propane grill during the week and turn out a good dinner. Just wish I had one that would get hotter- mine won't put a sear on anything.

DBBQ
07-18-2015, 08:55 PM
Have been using a performer for like 8 years...Been thinking of getting another gasser soon myself.

robbq
07-18-2015, 10:22 PM
I completely agree! Gas is quick and easy, great during the week when there is no time to mess with charcoal, and there is no cleanup. It's great in winter, too, when it's too cold to be messing around with charcoal.

@Melissareadhead - I agree with you, too. Cooking with charcoal is like meditating, cooking with gas is just for food. And we are all just a bunch of pyros.