PDA

View Full Version : Wrapping Ribs

BigHam
10-28-2006, 12:15 AM
I love to wrap ribs about 1 hour into smokin. add some maple syrup and brown sugar...then smoke another 2 hours...unwrap and slather with Countryside BarBQ for last hour.

What opinions out there on wrapping...What is the benefit??? can you point me to another thread? It seems I am getting good ribs but fall of the bone...not a lot of bite to them.

Any thoughts! Thanks

Sawdustguy
10-28-2006, 12:58 AM
If you wrap them they will stop taking smoke and speed up the smoking process so your ribs will overcook.

Puppyboy
10-28-2006, 01:55 AM
I personally wrap all my meats at the 1/2 point in my cook. So far it has worked out in my favor.

JamesB
10-28-2006, 05:12 AM
The only things I wrap wrap during a loa-n-slow cook are briskets and butts. And then ONLY if I need to speed them up.. IMO, ribs don't need wrapping to get them tender...

James..

Sledneck
10-28-2006, 07:40 AM
I used to wrap but now i dont, i think its makes them mushhy and defeats the purpose of smoking them when you are basically steaming them.

Kevin
10-28-2006, 08:22 AM
..unwrap and slather with Countryside BarBQ for last hour.
Any thoughts! Thanks

I saw Countryside BarBQ sauce and had to look at where you are located. I like that stuff. Been sending it the last couple of sauce trades. Back on topic, I've backed off on the foil time and gotten good results. Next ribs I cook will have no foil and be watched a little closer.

tjus77
10-28-2006, 09:07 AM
I used to wrap but now i dont, i think its makes them mushhy and defeats the purpose of smoking them when you are basically steaming them.

Same here, I just watch them carefully and before they are to the point that I like them, I pull them off and wrap them and put them in ice chest. Helps the final sauce soak in, but not too mushy. When I cook ribs, I don't use but one stick of wood. Let lump charcoal do the cooking so I don't get too much smoke.

Ron_L
10-28-2006, 09:12 AM
I don't wrap ribs unless I am in a hurry and need to get them done.

RichardF
10-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Save the foil for making one of those spiffy anti-radiation helmets that interfere with the Governments mind-control experiments. You will have much better control over the cooking process if you can actually see and feel what you are cooking.

BBQchef33
10-28-2006, 09:44 AM
The only things I wrap wrap during a loa-n-slow cook are briskets and butts. And then ONLY if I need to speed them up.. IMO, ribs don't need wrapping to get them tender...

James..

yeah!

what he said... :tongue:

but i will foil and cooler when done if i have to hold them for a bit.

The_Kapn
10-28-2006, 09:52 AM
Foil is a tool, nothing more, nothing less.
Some have learned to use it to their advantage, others prefer not to use it.

Personal preference, for sure.

TIM

we'll smoke u
10-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Foil is a tool, nothing more, nothing less.
Some have learned to use it to their advantage, others prefer not to use it.

Personal preference, for sure.

TIM

I have to agree with Kapn it is a personal preference. Sometimes I use it and sometimes a don't. If you are happy with the end result then that's all that matters. Just my 2 cent's.

Yakfishingfool
10-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Here's my two cents.....I think wrapping ribs at 3 hours makes them fall off the bone tender, not competition quality, but without a doubt most proably what most "lay" people want for ribs. By not wrapping I feel I get a rib much closer to the tenderness that cometition judges want. That pull from the bone with a few beads of sweat left in it's place. Flavor wise...I feel confident both my ribs taste the same. scott

Bigmista
10-28-2006, 02:22 PM
My routing now is smoke for 3 hours, drizzle with honey and brown sugar and foil. 30-45 minutes more in the smoker. Eat.