PDA

View Full Version : How much for modded WSM?

THoey1963
07-13-2015, 01:48 PM
Hey Y'all. With the recent purchase of my LSG Vertical Offset, part of the deal with the wife to get it would be the selling of both our gasser and my 22.5" WSM, since the LSG could smoke and grill. Once I actually got the LSG, I realized that while it could direct grill and I may do that for some cooks, I couldn't see using it all the time for burgers or steaks. Luckily, a couple days later, the wife made the comment that she wanted to keep the gasser too. Works for me!

But, now it is time to start thinking of selling the WSM and I need to come up with a fair price point. I have made a lot of modifications to her and want to get some of my investment back, but I also know it is going on two years old, so I expect there to be depreciation. So, I am asking the Brethren, what is a fair asking price for the following (initial price paid in brackets):

Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" Smoker ($399.00)
BBQGaskets.com WSM Complete Gasket Kit ($27.50)
Cajun Bandit Stainless Steal Replacement Door (I also have the original door too) ($32.50)
Southco Compression Latch ($19.12)
Convert Fire Grate and Charcoal Ring to Handled Fire Basket ($20.00)
Pitmaster IQ-120 ($199.95)
Rain box for IQ-120 ($20.00)
Unknown BBQ Lid Hinge ($48.00)
Large Terra Cotta Planter Base for water pan ($10.00)
Hot Water Heater Pan used to wash grates (Can't remember, free)
Weber 7473 Expandable Smoking Rack, 22-Inch ($39.99)

I think that's everything. If you are not sure what I am talking about above, take a look in my mods thread in my signature or post a question.

All total, that comes to $826.06. I have no clue what that converts to with depreciation. Any ideas? I'd prefer to sell it all as one package, but I could part it out if needed.

Oh, and I may offer this on this site (in the sales forum) and was thinking of offering a discount of some sort to Brethren (10% ???), but I already mentioned it to a couple friends and need to give them the first chance before I do.

SmittyJonz
07-13-2015, 02:03 PM
I'd keep it. You gonna fire up the LSG for a Fatty or a Meatloaf? They are 2 Different styles of cooker - not like you have Doubles of something - tell her one is High Heels and the other is Pumps....

P.S. I'd ask $800 so you can say "Its For Sale Honey but no callers....."

darkoozy
07-13-2015, 02:06 PM
I would keep it too...

You never know when you will smoke a turkey or a bunch of chickens, while the LSG is packed with meat...You could have 2 smokers going at 2 different temperatures ranges? Just a thought.

Or as Smitty suggested, you may need it for a very small cook. I kept mine for that reason...

THoey1963
07-13-2015, 02:18 PM
Sorry guys, that's not an option...

SmittyJonz
07-13-2015, 02:24 PM
I still say $800........maybe a $1000..........

Jason TQ
07-13-2015, 02:35 PM
Being completely honest I would think you might get half at best. Folks may not want the Pitmaster IQ (maybe part that out). It can be tough to price certain things that have mods others don't consider an upgrade or even know enough about to want to haggle.

I look at it as like one of those custom cars they get on Pawn Stars where you have a bunch of options you wanted, but they can't sell it for all the upgrades you personally wanted to make and were valuable to you. Yes there might be 1 guy who will pay a premium and wants exactly what you have, but then you have to roll the dice on how long that will take.

I'd start at $450-500 for it all and see what offers you get and give them the option to take out the IQ if they don't want it. Because they could go out an buy a brand new WSM for $400 and it work really well without all your bells and whistles. And don't get me wrong I like all of them :-D, but reselling it all you will have trouble with anything above $400 I'd guess.

I could be wrong, but I buy and sell a lot on CL and have myself taken the hit when I knew there wasn't any option. Or you could price it high and just enjoy it for a while longer and tell your wife there just isn't anyone biting so why not just keep it :mrgreen:.

Rusty Kettle
07-13-2015, 02:36 PM
I would say it depends on your area. Certain things sell for more or less depending where you are at.
Since you are in Texas a lot more than where I am at in PA.

In Western PA me personally not more than $500 but honestly I would be offering $300 because of very low demand here and I know here you wouldn't be able to sell it fast. I just got one no mods for $250 cooked on maybe 3 times.

Consider that I am in PA and you are in an area known for bbq so probably you could get a good bit more than that. List it for best offer and put all the mods and what it cost and links to the web sites of the people who made the mods. You can always say no.

aawa
07-13-2015, 02:50 PM
For the WSM itself I personally would ask for $200. The hinge system add another $20. Maybe another $20 for the expandable smoke ring. The other mods are most people will say, that is cost of ownership.

Then the rainbox and pitmaster iq120 I would ask $125-$150 for them combined.

So overall for the whole package $515 (round up and ask for $525) Anything more than that, and you will probably not get any calls at all. And tbh, most people will probably offer you $400-$450 for it.

SmittyJonz
07-13-2015, 02:59 PM
Or sell it to the Bar you always cook for - for cheap then cook for the bar on it. :mrgreen:

Richard1233
07-13-2015, 03:10 PM
I would say $550 and see if u get any offers. A lot of those things are personally valuable but probably not so much to everyone else. I think if u start at 550 u may get 450.

DetTigersFan
07-13-2015, 03:20 PM
I'd be surprised if you got more than 350 for everything as a package...

smoke ninja
07-13-2015, 03:25 PM
Id say about 300 for it without the IQ. Just like a tricked out car you cant recoup your money on customization. List it high if you can afford to sit on it and lower the price if you dont get any good offers.

Fwismoker
07-13-2015, 03:26 PM
Terry when it's all said and done I bet you can get away with building a UDS. It'll be nice having something else even though the LSG is one hell of a cooker. You would think your wife would be ok with you finding a free or cheap drum and do it as a side project.

THoey1963
07-13-2015, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the honest input y'all. While do want to get to selling it, I am in no way in a rush for it to sell. It's not like I need this money to make a house payment or anything like that. I just want to get it sold at a fair (to both me and the buyer) price. I can always post it at a higher price and see if it sells, if not, I can always go down from there.

Oh, and to be honest with myself, I would think $400 is about fair. More would be better, always is, but I got good use out of it, and it is still in great condition.

grantw
07-13-2015, 04:03 PM
half of new, if you want it gone id say that's the fairest price point, it is used.

ButtBurner
07-13-2015, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the honest input y'all. While do want to get to selling it, I am in no way in a rush for it to sell. It's not like I need this money to make a house payment or anything like that. I just want to get it sold at a fair (to both me and the buyer) price. I can always post it at a higher price and see if it sells, if not, I can always go down from there.

Oh, and to be honest with myself, I would think $400 is about fair. More would be better, always is, but I got good use out of it, and it is still in great condition.

well saving the house would probably be the only reason I would get rid of it

that statement cracked me up

Shagdog
07-13-2015, 04:22 PM
$800 so you can say "Its For Sale Honey but no callers....."
This^

I would probably sell the pitmaster separately for $120 and ask $300 for the modded WSM. Throw in the Pitmaster for an extra hundo if they buy it all.

jimithing78
07-13-2015, 04:43 PM
My personal opinion is that you should get it back to stock as much as possible and sell it that way because nobody is going to pay you extra for your mods.

Whatever you can remove you can try to sell here and recoup some part of your money. I'm sure people would be willing to buy the Pitmaster IQ and stainless steel door.

THoey1963
07-13-2015, 04:48 PM
By back to stock, do you mean removing the gaskets, take apart the basket, replacing the old door, and removing the lid hinge? I dunno...

Ag76
07-13-2015, 05:08 PM

That sounds fair to me too. If I needed another WSM, I would pay that for it with all the mods you have done.

Rusty Kettle
07-13-2015, 05:12 PM
I would sell the door seperate and the Pitmaster iq seperate here. The gasket yeah that is stuck there no doubt about it. Same with the hinge as there would be holes without it. If it has holes then even less money for the smoker as then I would consider it damaged. Just my opinion.

dwfisk
07-13-2015, 05:24 PM
So you have $825 in it with all the mods and you are not desperate to sell? I'd start at $500-$550 and see what kind of interest/offers you get. Worst case you drop the price or part it out as already recommended; worst-worst case keep it after an honest shot at selling it as promised:becky:

cheez59
07-13-2015, 05:59 PM
I paid $500 for the 22-1/2" WSM that I just bought on CL. It was on there for a while before I bit. The mods are not quite as many as yours but if I had bought them all separately the total would have been about the same. Mine had a new BBQ Guru DX2 with it and the grates look like they have never been used.

THoey1963
07-14-2015, 03:24 AM
I was thinking $500 as a starting price and then go from there. But I would be quite happy if I got $400 for it or I knew it went to a deserving home.

Again, my goal is to sell it, I don't really have the room to keep it.

THoey1963
07-14-2015, 03:30 AM
Sorry, system hiccup and duplicate post.

Shagdog
07-14-2015, 07:26 AM
Terry, whenever I sell something on Craigslist, I start high of where I think it will sell. I let it ride for a week. If no or little interest, I knock 25 bucks off and repost. Its amazing how you will know when the price is set right. You can go from no interest to a dozen inquiries a day in one 25 buck price drop. If you have the time to be patient about it.

THoey1963
07-14-2015, 07:43 AM
Thanks Matt...

NickTheGreat
07-14-2015, 08:03 AM
I probably wouldn't pay much over $500, with the IQ and everything else.

I'd probably list it for more than that. Hell, knowing Craiglist you could list for $1200, some clown would offer you $600 and feel like he got a great deal!

Smoking Tunes
07-14-2015, 08:14 AM
I'll give you a $100 today and today only!

Their..Now you can tell her you tried to sell it. The only response you got was from an unreasonable jerk with a low ball offer and you don't think you will be able to stomach to many more jerks. :)

THoey1963
07-14-2015, 08:25 AM
:mrgreen:

cabowabo
07-14-2015, 09:55 AM
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" Smoker ($399.00)
BBQGaskets.com WSM Complete Gasket Kit ($27.50)
Cajun Bandit Stainless Steal Replacement Door (I also have the original door too) ($32.50)
Southco Compression Latch ($19.12)
Convert Fire Grate and Charcoal Ring to Handled Fire Basket ($20.00)
Pitmaster IQ-120 ($199.95)
Rain box for IQ-120 ($20.00)
Unknown BBQ Lid Hinge ($48.00)
Large Terra Cotta Planter Base for water pan ($10.00)
Hot Water Heater Pan used to wash grates (Can't remember, free)
Weber 7473 Expandable Smoking Rack, 22-Inch ($39.99)

Unfortunately the value rests in what the right person is willing to pay. In order to move it in a decent amount of time, you'd typically have to sell it for 50% what you have invested, possibly 60% at best. I would say pull the IQ-120 and rainbox off and sell separately and take a bit of the sticker shock out of the asking price for the WSM..

To the right person I'd say your smoker is worth $600-625... Realistically, for market value - probably $375-425.. Pull the IQ-120 and rainbox off and sell for $125-140, then list the WSM and mods for $400 and then come down to $350ish when people try to barter..

nickmv
07-14-2015, 10:09 AM
Yeah don't sell the IQ with the WSM. A lot of those items you've listed there --- you're just gonna have to take a big hit on them (ie. the latch and door, the gasket kit, etc).

I recently sold an 18.5" model to a buddy for exactly 50% of what I put into it. $299 + $50 gasket/hinge kit. I sold it for $175. From looking at your breakdown, as a 3rd party I honestly am staring at the smoker and IQ as the main products for sale. The rest is pretty irrelevant or should I say value-less (not worthless, just of no monetary value). It's kinda like some dude selling a modded Honda Civic -- sure you somehow squeezed 250hp out of it, but I'm not interested in paying any money for your mods as they are personal choices.

Try to find a friend or family member first before selling to the general public. While you won't get a better deal, you can at least rest easy knowing that your gear is in good hands with family/friends.

zanna5910
07-14-2015, 10:10 AM
I would try to recoup all you can, but to be honest, no one is going to care about the mods. All they care about is:

Your Price < New Price

You may be able to get away with new price because of the mods and if you throw in the pitmaster, but i still doubt it. I would price at 450 for everything and settle on 400, maybe even 380, but that's just me. Then again, craigslist is one interesting place where you can get a sucker to buy it for 700-800 if you wait long enough. I try to get in and get out of craigslist as soon as possible, not ever looking for top dollar. That's my strategy anyways.

SmittyJonz
07-14-2015, 12:21 PM
Again, my goal is to sell it, I don't really have the room to keep it.

:confused: looked like plenty of room right next to the LSG.......

...Dave
07-14-2015, 12:48 PM
what i do to find the market value of a product is to search the completed listings from ebay, this will give you a rough idea of what things are actually selling for. of course they didnt have a bells and whistles item like yours, but if you want to score the most for what you got you should probably break up the package anyways.

THoey1963
07-14-2015, 01:02 PM
Good suggestions y'all. I think I am going to put together a listing for some local friends that expressed an interest, and if that doesn't sell, then try CL with a higher price and work my way down.

:confused: looked like plenty of room right next to the LSG.......

Sorry, the wife is not gonna allow a collection of BBQ's as lawn ornaments. Especially if I will rarely use it.

SmittyJonz
07-14-2015, 03:15 PM
You will miss the WSM when you don't feel like or have time to tend a fire.......... But it'll be fun modding another one I suppose............ :twitch: ....... But then again you'd have the opportunity to build a UDS and see what that's all about............. :thumb:

THoey1963
07-14-2015, 03:17 PM
Hey, I thought about that and got the divided charcoal box for the LSG. If I ever need a long, slow cook, and maybe some sleep, I'll use it. But my goal right now is to learn how to manage a stick fire...

SmittyJonz
07-14-2015, 03:24 PM
I'm bookmarking this thread......................

THoey1963
07-14-2015, 03:36 PM
To prove me wrong?

:mrgreen:

BB-Kuhn
07-14-2015, 03:50 PM
I'd take the pit master iq off, sell that thing for 120, and sell the rest as a "loaded" WSM for like 400 bucks.

Sadly, these things are not investments. We also like to have our own "seasoning" on our cookers. The problem is that if somebody likes your bundle, but only likes a couple of your mods, they are paying you for all of them, so it makes more sense to just buy their own new one and buy what the want for it.

SO, at 400-450, you're in the ballpark price of what a new one costs, but now the incentive is that the mods would basically be free to them.

Price it there to move, higher if you really need the money and are patient.

ButtBurner
07-14-2015, 03:59 PM
I'm bookmarking this thread......................

man give him a break. He has agreed to sell it and thats the end of it

THoey1963
07-15-2015, 11:01 AM
I'd take the pit master iq off, sell that thing for 120, and sell the rest as a "loaded" WSM for like 400 bucks.

Sadly, these things are not investments. We also like to have our own "seasoning" on our cookers. The problem is that if somebody likes your bundle, but only likes a couple of your mods, they are paying you for all of them, so it makes more sense to just buy their own new one and buy what the want for it.

SO, at 400-450, you're in the ballpark price of what a new one costs, but now the incentive is that the mods would basically be free to them.

Price it there to move, higher if you really need the money and are patient.

Yeah, I am starting to think of selling the IQ separately. Thanks!

man give him a break. He has agreed to sell it and thats the end of it

No biggie BB... He's just giving me some (well deserved) grief. I can live with it. I may regret not having a small smoker in the future. If so, I can probably squeeze in a mini...

SmittyJonz
07-15-2015, 11:35 AM
I do think you should sell it to the bar for $1 (and free beers)....... :heh:

JS-TX
07-15-2015, 01:32 PM
Good news is that very few WSMs go up for sale around the SA area. I got my 22 off of craigslist-Austin a few years ago for $200. IMO I think you could get $350-400 for the modded WSM. Sell the IQ separately for $120. You might get more if you sold it to someone who appreciates all the mods. You could always try ebay, seems you may get more for it there, but shipping would be killer though.

THoey1963
07-15-2015, 04:24 PM
Yeah, this will be sold to someone local or willing to drive. I am not going to deal with trying to box this up and ship.

ButtBurner
07-15-2015, 06:46 PM
any bites yet on it?

THoey1963
07-15-2015, 08:09 PM
I haven't put it up yet. Going to start messaging a couple friends who mentioned they might be interested. If it gets passed by them, then I'll try here and or CL. Like I said, I am not in a hurry, and the wife hasn't said a thing, but I just need to start working on getting her sold...

THoey1963
04-20-2016, 10:45 AM
Finally time to sell this thing. I ended up using it during the winter instead of the LSG Vertical Offset, now have sold the Offset and replaced it with an LSG Cabinet. I am going to create an ad on the Brethren Sales and Ventures page. I'll list it there for a couple days before I put it up on Craigslist.

FYI, there will be no shipping for this. Had enough with shipping companies. Be ready to come and get it if you are interested.

Grimm5577
04-20-2016, 10:54 AM
I would part out the IQ and Try for $350 for the WSM and $100 for the IQ.
It's all used and mods don't hold any value.

For instance I bought a lightly used Weber OTG for $60 and it included the rotisserie ring, and rotissere motor, the weber side table, cola baskets, and a bag of charcoal.

I bought another used Weber OTG for $80 and it included a pizza kettle, spare grates, 2 pizza stones, and the couple i bought it from owned a fancy olive oil store and gave me a bottle of oil on the house.

I didn't need the grills. Just wanted the add-ons.

THoey1963
04-20-2016, 11:03 AM
Listing is up...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228855

zanna5910
04-20-2016, 11:07 AM
FYI, there is a WSM 18 on craiglist in houston for 225 and has been there forever without bites.

If you want to sell it, i'd go 250 and part off the IQ by itself with the rain box, or throw the IQ in as a deal for the guy ~300 to have it gone.

If you want top dollar for all your mods, be ready to wait.

krex1010
04-20-2016, 11:56 AM
I'd keep it. You gonna fire up the LSG for a Fatty or a Meatloaf? They are 2 Different styles of cooker - not like you have Doubles of something - tell her one is High Heels and the other is Pumps....

P.S. I'd ask $800 so you can say "Its For Sale Honey but no callers....."

This would be my approach

SmittyJonz
04-20-2016, 12:00 PM
Yeah, this will be sold to someone local or willing to drive. I am not going to deal with trying to box this up and ship.

But you are so Good at it.......

SmittyJonz
04-20-2016, 12:02 PM
I thought you were gonna Donate it to the Bar............or a Soldier.........

KevinJ
04-20-2016, 04:22 PM
I was thinking $500 as a starting price and then go from there. But I would be quite happy if I got $400 for it or I knew it went to a deserving home.

Again, my goal is to sell it, I don't really have the room to keep it.I think you can get $400 for it with the IQ.

Or you could keep it (is not that big) get the CB Rotisserie Kit, I know you don't know that you need a Rotisserie yet, but you do. :biggrin1:
Well unless you already have one.

DaveAlvarado
04-20-2016, 04:46 PM

I was thinking about $400 also for the whole, but I'd split it into a $250 WSM and a $150 Pitmaster IQ.

THoey1963
04-20-2016, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. The price I listed it for here is with a Brethren discount and I am willing to work with them. If I need to put it on Craigslist, I will start out higher and go from there.