PDA

View Full Version : LSG firebox help

GLF5
07-12-2015, 08:50 PM
I'm on the fence with which firebox to choose on my ordered LSG vertical offset. I think I've ruled out the insulated simply because I can't get the warming oven with it. That leaves me with the standard 1/4" or the upgraded 1/2". If I skipped the warming oven I would consider insulated.

I spoke with Chris about this and he gave me some good things to think about but i thought I would tap the knowledge of the members here for their input.

Will the 1/4" firebox last the life of the cooker? With the warming oven that should give a bit of extra insulation on the top but does 1/2" bottom and sides offer much better heat retention?

Thanks in advance.

AlwaysSmokey
07-12-2015, 10:11 PM
Will the 1/4" firebox last the life of the cooker? With the warming oven that should give a bit of extra insulation on the top but does 1/2" bottom and sides offer much better heat retention?

Yes and yes.

A properly cared for 1/4 inch box should last a long time/life time. Especially with the ash pan extra.

Thicker metal retains heat better.

Congrats on the cooker.

Regards,

Kevin

pjtexas1
07-12-2015, 10:16 PM
Get the ash pan it will help the bottom of the fb last longer. I wish LSG could figure out the insulated fb/warmer thing. I would not give up the warmer.

oldbill
07-12-2015, 10:21 PM
I went with the 1/2" firebox for the thermal mass and it definitely does help (especially in rainy weather) to retain heat and then if you add a warmer/oven to the pit as well you'll really get better efficiency out of it. I think that it's well worth the extra $ to get the 1/2" steel.:thumb:

Baby Back Maniac
07-13-2015, 02:12 PM
I have a horizontal on order. Currently, I've got the warming oven and the 1/2 upgrade. It's $1K extra. I can totally see the benefits of the warming oven. I'm not quite as sure on the 1/2 inch firebox...especially with that huge warming oven right there already contributing to thermal mass as well as offering some degree of insulation at least on top.

I ordered the 1/2 because people insisted it was worth the money. I had a similar designed 1/4 square firebox of another brand smoker and the stupid thing warped when it got hot and I had a hard time getting the door open and closed during use. It was annoying and I definitely don't want to mess with that. I don't know that the 1/4 inch on a Lonestar would do that anyways though hopefully thicker steel will make it a non-issue. Heat retention sounds good. Also, it would be nice not having to worry about burn through...though for some reason I feel like over time it will be the welds that fail first and not the 1/4 steel. (I may be wrong. If I'm wrong about any of this fellas, let me know.)

Regarding the ash pan. I went down there to look at the smokers and while there, I talked to Chris about the ash pan. First off, it's really nice and heavy duty. I'm sure it would protect the bottom, but I'm not sure it would make clean out "easier" because it's very heavy and very large. Yes you could get the ash out all in one swoop but then what?!? You have to do something with it.

If you are dumping ash in the flower beds or something like that it would work great but it would not be the easiest thing to dump ash into a normal size trash can because it it's so big and weighs so much (I'm guessing at least 25 pounds...probably more.) If you are in a situation where you you'd rather not make a mess, you kind of need one hand to guide the debris into the trash can and two more hands to hold the heavy pan. That's 3 hands which is one more than I have. Or you can prop one end of the heavy ash pan against the trash can...which is more awkward that it seems. Chris said clean out is actually a little easier when you can rake it out directly and unfortunately the ash pan gets in the way of that.

Having said that...I've seen that ash pan in person and it's not an overpriced add on or anything like that. It's very high quality and very substantial.

ssv3
07-13-2015, 02:47 PM
I stuck with the 1/4" due to the climate here in SoCal and no regrets so far. I added the oven to mine and also 1/4" ash pan so the bottom is 1/2"combined. I clean the ashes next day of the cook since that's the worst enemy of a firebox.

With the proper care and maintenance I don't see why the 1/4" wouldn't last the entire life of the smoker.

AlwaysSmokey
07-13-2015, 03:34 PM
Let's make sure that's what oldbill thinks,....

I've been enjoying his posts lately.....

Dinkle
07-13-2015, 04:10 PM
I upgraded my 20x48 horizontal from lsg to the 1/2 INCH box I have no regrets

THoey1963
07-13-2015, 04:31 PM
I got the 1/2" upgrade, and the ash pan. I figure it would help with heat retention, it should not be able to warp unless I start a major inferno, and it will last longer than I will...

As for cleaning the ash pan, I slide it 2/3 of the way out and use a shop dust pan to get most of the ash out. Granted, I am not getting 100% of the ash out, but I am getting most of it out. Then a little spray with the extra Pam I bought and it's all good...

GLF5
07-14-2015, 01:54 PM
Lots of different thoughts on this which haven't made my decision any easier. I definitely don't want it to warp or burn through but dropping 1K on options isn't exactly what I want to do either. Decisions, Decisions.

sparctek
07-14-2015, 02:31 PM
I ordered a 24x48 smoker from LSG in March and got the call yesterday that it is ready for pick up. I went with the insulated firebox.

After helping a friend cook on a pit with an insulated firebox I decided to go for one as well. His pit seemed to recover from opening doors much faster and the fire seemed to burn better (easier to manage) with the insulated firebox. Maybe it was just my imagination but I sure did like it.

I'll post my impressions on it once I pick it up and start using it.

THoey1963
07-14-2015, 02:37 PM
GLF, the 1/2 firebox is only $450 (only, I know). The ash pan is less than $100. The warming oven is another $550. So, are you questioning the warming oven or the FB thickness?

Congrats Sparctek!

Dinkle
07-14-2015, 02:40 PM
I paid 350 for my 1/2 inch upgrade about 2 years ago.

THoey1963
07-14-2015, 02:42 PM
Yep, like anything, prices have changed. Sako and I have very similar Vertical Offsets, but mine cost over $1K more. And he had to pay for shipping too. I was close enough to go get it myself.

pjtexas1
07-14-2015, 03:11 PM
the firebox was my biggest internal struggle. I am in Texas and probably didn't need it but I got it anyway. My thought was I didn't want to have any regrets and I had the money set aside. Might be a total wast of money but I went with the insulated FB and the ash pan. The ash pan will be heavy and you will not want to pull it out with 1 hand but I really believe it will help the bottom of the FB last longer.

If LSG makes the pit it will NOT warp. If that had been an issue Chris would have addressed it a long time ago. If you are just paranoid like me then you will end up with the insulated FB.

sparctek
07-14-2015, 03:17 PM
PJ that was the second reason for me ordering the insulated as well... no regrets later. :-D

THoey1963
07-14-2015, 03:19 PM
Yep, a little more money now is worth the "I wish I should have's" later...

What's that saying around here? Pay once, cry once...

sparctek
07-14-2015, 03:31 PM
LOL exactly.

GLF5
07-14-2015, 04:03 PM
GLF, the 1/2 firebox is only $450 (only, I know). The ash pan is less than $100. The warming oven is another $550. So, are you questioning the warming oven or the FB thickness?

Congrats Sparctek!

I've pretty much decided that I definitely want the warming oven, which rules out the insulated firebox. You can't have both.

Since I'm already 550 in for the warming oven upgrade its "only" another 450 to upgrade the firebox.

Or...as some have suggested I get the ash pan which should help protect the bottom of the box.

ButtBurner
07-14-2015, 04:12 PM
I've pretty much decided that I definitely want the warming oven, which rules out the insulated firebox. You can't have both.

Since I'm already 550 in for the warming oven upgrade its "only" another 450 to upgrade the firebox.

Or...as some have suggested I get the ash pan which should help protect the bottom of the box.

if you want to protect the bottom of the firebox just get a cookie sheet that will fit the area

thats what I use

pjtexas1
07-14-2015, 05:23 PM
If forced I would pick the warmer over the insulated firebox. Not ideal but the warmer adds so much versatility.

ssv3
07-15-2015, 01:02 AM

Def get the oven. Possibilities are endless with it. As for the firebox, it's your call. Ash pan or not, IMO it will take a lot for you to go though the 1/4" firebox in its lifetime. I went with the ash pan solely for easier clean up. I highly recommend it. Makes clean up a breeze and I suppose you get the added bottom protection.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/hsQ4LOaL3KKpV2Wm6QY1GQceni8u4Z2atrVm7JjxxG0=w1744-h981-no

Baby Back Maniac
07-15-2015, 10:30 AM
SSV3,
What do you do with those ashes? Where do you dump them?

THoey1963
07-15-2015, 10:38 AM
I'd like to hear what Sako does too, but I check mine for any lingering coals, then bag it to go in the non-recycled trash. Some use it in their garden.

ssv3
07-15-2015, 10:47 AM
I don't touch them until the next day. Following day I dump them in a trash bag and throw it in trash. It's nothing but fine dust at that point.

oldbill
07-15-2015, 11:48 AM
SSV3,
What do you do with those ashes? Where do you dump them?

I don't touch them until the next day. Following day I dump them in a trash bag and throw it in trash. It's nothing but fine dust at that point.I dump my ashes into my flower beds and on to my lawn, it all just goes back to nature and it's rich in potassium which is great for your plants!:wink:

ssv3
07-15-2015, 01:58 PM
I dump my ashes into my flower beds and on to my lawn, it all just goes back to nature and it's rich in potassium which is great for your plants!:wink:

Most def Bill,

I did that for a while but I burn so much fuel on the regular that I don't need as much. It was starting to look ugly in the backyard. :becky:

THoey1963
07-15-2015, 04:15 PM
I thought I read somewhere that too much would kill grass or plants. Or maybe it killed weeds. Something like that. Either way, if I dumped it in the yard, one of the wife's two little white rats, err, I mean dogs, would roll in it and I'd catch hell...

oldbill
07-15-2015, 05:02 PM
I thought I read somewhere that too much would kill grass or plants. Or maybe it killed weeds. Something like that. Either way, if I dumped it in the yard, one of the wife's two little white rats, err, I mean dogs, would roll in it and I'd catch hell...I've been putting ashes in the yard for years and I've never seen it kill anything, as for the rats though,... I mean dogs... yeah they can have some fun rolling in it, mine have come back in looking like 4 legged powdered doughnuts!:razz:

THoey1963
07-15-2015, 08:16 PM
Thanks Bill, I'll keep that in mind. We got lots of weeds, I mean flowers, in the back yard...

pjtexas1
07-15-2015, 09:22 PM
I bet kbb ash would kill your weeds.

THoey1963
07-16-2015, 10:23 AM
I am sure the wife wouldn't be too happy about that...