PDA

View Full Version : My close-minded wife.

Huh? What?
07-05-2015, 01:46 PM
Not being serious about that.

However...

Our ten year-old grill needs replaced. To rebuild it would be as much as a new one. So, this morning we were at the local big box home improvement store buying pieces/parts to finish a new raised garden bed, and I spotted a six burner gas grill with rotisserie, and side burner with deep fry station!

AND SHE SAID WE DIDN'T NEED A GRILL THAT BIG!

Seriously, we're in the market for a new gas grill. Any suggestions? Any brands to avoid like the plague?

SmittyJonz
07-05-2015, 01:53 PM
Buy a Weber.

padge31
07-05-2015, 01:54 PM
After years of buying cheap grills, I bought a weber. I love it. It is just a 3 burner with stainless steel burners, burners covers and grate. It is a lot of money up front, but the warranty is great.

Huh? What?
07-05-2015, 01:55 PM
Looked at Webers this morning. They're on the list of possibles.

dport7
07-05-2015, 01:57 PM
Buy a Weber.

Yep, When I get the next one it will be the last one, and from what Iv'e
heard, it's Weber. If it ever does need parts, you can get them.

I'm with you, go all the way, all the bells and whistles, then your done.

Shadowdog500
07-05-2015, 01:57 PM
If you can get through a couple more months you could probably get your new grill on sale.

I'm a big lover of Weber Products. So I would stick with them.

Ducane used to be good but weber bought them about 10 years ago and they aren't that good anymore. I found that out the hard way when I bought an expensive stainless Ducane at Lowes and it wasn't that great a grill. To top it off couldn't get parts for it after it started to fall apart after a few years. I scrapped it and bought the Weber.

Chris

Ron_L
07-05-2015, 01:58 PM
When I was looking to replace my old Weber Genesis I was sure that I was buying another Weber. Then I saw a review by Brethren member BBQ Grail for the Saber IR grills. After talking to Larry I went to look at them and was sold. The Saber Cast 500 was the same price as the stainless Weber Genesis but much better built. I've had mine for two years now and I'm glad I went with the Saber.

https://www.sabergrills.com/product/5002/SABER-CAST-500.aspx

I have a bunch of pictures here...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/20720548@N07/JhV6A0

Richard1233
07-05-2015, 02:03 PM
Don't get a gas grill. I get by without one and I will never get one. a stick burner has been good for me for a long time and just added a wsm which I will break in on Monday but gas grills aren't my thing

dport7
07-05-2015, 02:06 PM
When I was looking to replace my old Weber Genesis I was sure that I was buying another Weber. Then I saw a review by Brethren member BBQ Grail for the Saber IR grills. After talking to Larry I went to look at them and was sold. The Saber Cast 500 was the same price as the stainless Weber Genesis but much better built. I've had mine for two years now and I'm glad I went with the Saber.

https://www.sabergrills.com/product/5002/SABER-CAST-500.aspx

I have a bunch of pictures here...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/20720548@N07/JhV6A0

You might be changing my mind on gassers, I'm going to check them out,
as we are on the market for a new one also.

chashint
07-05-2015, 02:20 PM
I really like my Weber Genesis 330.
It is an excellent cooking machine with real temperature control.
My only regret is not buying it sooner.

Baby Back Maniac
07-05-2015, 02:30 PM

This^^^. Word for word what I would have said.

Radio
07-05-2015, 02:31 PM
Go IR, or go home:mrgreen: I broke down and bought an infrared model 4 years ago and have been very happy with it. Always before, the fat from meat would drip down on the burner covers/heat diffusers and they would rust away every other year or so. The burner it's self would rust and need replaced even though I always cover the grill when it cools off.

The burners on the IR still have no rust and will last a long time yet, if not for the life of the grill. I don't think it gets quite as hot as non IR grills, but it does a heckuva job!

mchar69
07-05-2015, 02:33 PM
I'd buy a good one from Craigslist like this big Genesis in Phoenix - $160

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/for/5080869874.html

Ron_L
07-05-2015, 02:40 PM
You might be changing my mind on gassers, I'm going to check them out,
as we are on the market for a new one also.

They aren't cheap, but they are built like a tank! 304 stainless vs. Weber's 440 grade. And it cooks great!

landarc
07-05-2015, 02:41 PM
I would seriously consider the Saber, or for a little more, a Lion

Ron_L
07-05-2015, 02:54 PM
I looked at the Lion grills online but at the time there wasn't a dealer in this area, so I couldn't see one in person

Sopchoppy
07-05-2015, 03:52 PM
My house had a natural gas outlet on the porch when we bought it. Had to order the NG version of the Weber Genesis Gold 3 burner with side burner. That was 12 years ago and it still lites and cooks as if new.
They make the best gas grills and we like burgers and chicken grilled. My stick burner is my favorite way to cook. Just something special about man, fire, food.

Big George's BBQ
07-05-2015, 04:08 PM
I have had my Weber Genesis a long time and still works great

Low Down
07-05-2015, 04:25 PM
OP, have you considered using a pellet grill instead of a gasser?

Huh? What?
07-05-2015, 04:35 PM
Have not, and am not, considering charcoal, or pellet grills.

No more to say on that subject.

lennitt
07-05-2015, 05:06 PM
26 years and on only my second Weber.. You need to change the flavor bars and grates every 5 years or so but they really give you your moneys worth. And their customer service is really good.

Bbq_lover
07-05-2015, 09:05 PM
I have had my webber gas grill for 10 years. Cast iron grate's and I cook all year round on it. I have only changed out the flavor bars once. It works great with no issues. A friend bought a different brand and has been out of commission a number of times due to not finding replacement parts.

Bob Wiley
07-05-2015, 11:06 PM
Whatever brand you get I would consider a model with the rear mounted IR rotisserie burner.

The meat comes close to the IR burner as it rotates creating a beautiful and tasty crust on roasts even done to only medium rare. Also, great at crisping skin on birds, particularly duck.
You only run the rotisserie burner, everything else is off. It's the only thing I use the gasser for.

Demosthenes9
07-05-2015, 11:24 PM
26 years and on only my second Weber.. You need to change the flavor bars and grates every 5 years or so but they really give you your moneys worth. And their customer service is really good.

Next time you find yourself needing to replace the flavorizers, find a guy on Ebay named RCPlanebuyer. He makes custom flavorizers that are better than Weber's and they cost less. I've had one of his sets for 4+ years and they are still as solid as the day I got them.

Doug Crann
07-06-2015, 12:34 AM
Had a Charburner propane grill.....had 2 ways to cook.....nuclear hot and 10* above ambient...

THoey1963
07-06-2015, 01:43 AM
One of my bargaining chips for the new LSG smoker was that I could grill on it too, so I was going to sell my WSM and Weber S-330. After getting her and seeing exactly what that would entail, I wasn't really looking forward to grilling on her. Again, like my modded WSM, I "could" grill on her, but I don't think it would be optimal (haven't tried it yet, might be wrong). So, I was waiting for the right time to mention to the wife that I wanted to keep the gas grill.

We were talking about deck space yesterday and she out of the blue said she wanted to keep the gasser for easy quick meals. I immediately agreed and we moved on from there.

Yeah, I love my wife. Well, most of the time... :mrgreen:

robbq
07-06-2015, 07:27 AM
I got a Napoleon last year and I like it a lot. It seems to be made as well as a Weber, and I liked the layout and features a little better. Plus it's cheaper. Mine has a rotisserie and rear infrared burner, plus a side searing burner. I never liked the layout of a lot of the Webers, but at least they finally figured out that the knobs don't belong on top of the side shelf.

jstokes3
07-06-2015, 08:48 AM

concur. +1

NickTheGreat
07-06-2015, 09:13 AM
concur. +1

+2. Except I don't use my sideburner at all, and don't use the sear burner as much as I thought. So show your wife the 330, and then tell her the 310 will be cheaper and about as good :biggrin1:

PNW Smoker
07-06-2015, 09:35 AM
I just ditched my gasser for a kettle.

I've never used a high end gasser, but I can tell you without doubt, the gassers you find at the big box store running in the 300'ish range pretty much suck. My laziness compounded by being cheap, subjected me to over two decades of sh!tty grilling.

the guys here have all chimed in on what I'd trust as good comments on which gassers to trust. I just want to chime in to support going big or don't go at all.

cabowabo
07-06-2015, 11:00 AM
I bought my fiancÚ a Charbroil 2 burner infrared grill. She doesn't like using my cookers or grills. So, I thought this little clean stainless grill would be perfect for her while I am gone.

I was excited at the fact that I could convert it to natural gas in the future. However, we are using it on propane now. It is awful. I have to use it on "CLEAN" mode to even get any kind of sear on the meat. It basically just bakes the food. The push button ignitor quit after about 6 weeks of LIGHT use. After reading up on the ignitor, that is a rampant problem with this product.

Mikeinctown
07-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Go IR, or go home:mrgreen: I broke down and bought an infrared model 4 years ago and have been very happy with it. Always before, the fat from meat would drip down on the burner covers/heat diffusers and they would rust away every other year or so. The burner it's self would rust and need replaced even though I always cover the grill when it cools off.

The burners on the IR still have no rust and will last a long time yet, if not for the life of the grill. I don't think it gets quite as hot as non IR grills, but it does a heckuva job!

Guy on eBay sells stainless deflectors for like $40 and they'll last as long as the grill.

New Weber gassers are pricey. There are always people looking to sell on Craigslist. Just be sure you get a propane model and not a gas model. People will say you can convert, but it is an expensive change. For $300 you can get a really nice used grill that will last a decade or more.

highergr0und
07-06-2015, 03:04 PM
Have not, and am not, considering charcoal, or pellet grills.

No more to say on that subject.

Now who's being close minded? Lol, just messing around....

I just bought a broil king baron from Lowes. It's comparable in size to a genesis, has a great warranty, and is north american made. It runs 4 burners plus the side burner for $499. I've used it a few times now with good results, but too early to talk about real longevity. They've got all favorable reviews so far out there as a solid company.

LifeLongWNYer
07-06-2015, 04:47 PM
Well, I had a few things planned for Saturday morning, but suddenly my daughter called me and asked me to hook up the little flatbed trailer and meet her at Lowes. She and her husband went there looking for a screen door latch and ended up buying a Weber Genesis for $ 899, "on sale."

I tried to suggest that there were other stores in the area which probably had the same grill, perhaps they should take a quick drive and see if they could get a better price. Well, no dice on that, the salesman told them that it was the last one in stock, and if they left, most likely someone would swing by and get it. the straw that broke the camels back is that they could get a floor model, which was already put together. My son-in-law is a great guy, but can't change a light bulb without help, and I had work of my own to do, so couldn't put it together this weekend.

Well, they got it, nice grill, did a fine job on hamburgs, "out of the box", but it wasn't what I think was a great deal.

THoey1963
07-06-2015, 04:54 PM
When I got my S-330, it was the floor model. I was there returning my third Charbroiler, and saw the Weber which was out of the range I "wanted" to spend. The clerk said since it was the last one and a floor model, they would take 10% off. Then I noticed a tiny ding in one of the stainless steel doors. Another 10% off. And they threw in a tank. Took it. Went home, registered it with Weber, sent them an email about the door, they asked for a photo, sent it, and they sent me a replacement door. It's still in the garage in a box.

Ron_L
07-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Well, I had a few things planned for Saturday morning, but suddenly my daughter called me and asked me to hook up the little flatbed trailer and meet her at Lowes. She and her husband went there looking for a screen door latch and ended up buying a Weber Genesis for $ 899, "on sale."

I tried to suggest that there were other stores in the area which probably had the same grill, perhaps they should take a quick drive and see if they could get a better price. Well, no dice on that, the salesman told them that it was the last one in stock, and if they left, most likely someone would swing by and get it. the straw that broke the camels back is that they could get a floor model, which was already put together. My son-in-law is a great guy, but can't change a light bulb without help, and I had work of my own to do, so couldn't put it together this weekend.

Well, they got it, nice grill, did a fine job on hamburgs, "out of the box", but it wasn't what I think was a great deal.

Well, if it is the S330, the regular price is $949, so they did just OK. If it's the E-330 the regular price is $799, so they got ripped off.

Demosthenes9
07-06-2015, 05:15 PM

/headshake. think the salesperson might have pulled a fast one. Lowe's has free assembly, delivery and removal of old grill on all grills $399 and up. If it was a floor model, they should have gotten a decent discount on it. Any idea on the actual model # ??

highergr0und
07-06-2015, 05:41 PM
yeah, i just got free assembly and delivery on my new grill from Lowes....

NickTheGreat
07-07-2015, 08:42 AM
/headshake. think the salesperson might have pulled a fast one. Lowe's has free assembly, delivery and removal of old grill on all grills $399 and up. If it was a floor model, they should have gotten a decent discount on it. Any idea on the actual model # ??

Is it colored? I mean, colorful panels? May not be, could be straight up. But should have 3 to 5 knobs on it
http://www.weber.com/grills/series/genesis

Or more big and stainless. With gobs of knobs
http://www.weber.com/grills/series/summit

LifeLongWNYer
07-07-2015, 09:15 AM
I was in a hurry Saturday, so didn't pay a lot of attention but I looked at the link posted by Nick, and it looks like the E330. It has the same arrangement of burner controls, it does have the extra burner on the right side, and it is brown, NOT the stainless model. So, I guess they got screwed by Lowes. I never liked that store anyway, I'm a local hardware store shopper, and then to HD if I can't get what I want at the locally owned place.

You know, they are trying to make it as a young married couple, and I want to help them whenever they NEED it, but I don't want them to think I am running their lives. They seem to think that same way, many times when they ask my advice, they've already gone past the point of no return. ....Like with the grill. I told them to look around and see if a nearby store had it at a better price, but they were worried about losing the assembled one and didn't want to take the time.

They have one advantage that I never had, or never will have..... they both make very good money and really don't need to spend wisely, or conserve their money.

NickTheGreat
07-07-2015, 04:20 PM
Sorry to hear that. Sometimes young bucks need to learn things the hard way.

LifeLongWNYer
07-07-2015, 04:26 PM
Yup, I suppose my parents thought I was a "slow learner". In some respects, I guess I was.

brimclau
07-07-2015, 06:29 PM
Speaking of infrared grills, anybody use a Tec?

http://www.tecinfrared.com

Yes! they are expensive but man they cook good food. A great combo for the backyard is one of these along with your smoker :) I'm picking one up at some point unless the wife threatens my life or a divorce.