PDA

View Full Version : Pitmaster Q3

ITBFQ
07-05-2015, 12:01 AM
Does anyone own a Pitmaster Q3? I am used to cooking on a UDS or WSM for ribs. I'm entering a contest soon where I have to use pellets to cook
St. Louis ribs on the Q3. Any hints? I figured I'd ask the experts around here. Thanks!

zitterich246
07-05-2015, 12:44 AM
I don't own one, but they did a performance review of it over on the pelletheads site. Looked like it did a good job.

Ron_L
07-05-2015, 09:58 AM
I think either JD McGee or SwamprB have one, but I'm not sure. If they don't chime in you may want to PM them.

Which competition?

wjwheeler
07-05-2015, 10:08 AM
I own two. The flat Q3 and the 36" barrel. What can I help you with?
I've smoked turkeys, cooked burgers and reverse seared a rib roast.
For an inexpensive pellet smoker, it does a great job.

ITBFQ
07-05-2015, 06:10 PM
Ron, its the ribs contest at the Windy City Smokeout coming up on Friday. We have to be there at 10, they give us ribs, we cook there on the Q3 and turn in at 3:30. The top 5 advance on to cook again on Sunday after working with restaurant pitmasters on Saturday.

Bill - I am just looking for some tips/tricks as far as running it goes. I figure it is kind of a set it and forget it rig. But if you have any advice as far as running it goes, that would be great. Myron's going to be up here doing a whole hog dinner among other things. Are you going to be coming up, too? Always fun to meet another member.

Ron_L
07-05-2015, 06:25 PM
Cool! Good luck!