PDA

View Full Version : New to Smoking - UDS Question

Dwain Lambrigger
07-04-2015, 01:11 AM
I have been smoking with a Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker for about a year now. I made most all the modifications I have read about here. 15 or so smokes and I am thinking about an upgrade.

I think a UDS would be a really good end all, be all smoker, on par with the WSM. Quick question. If I buy a drum (with or without a liner), can I have it sandblasted and avoid the burn I have been seeing all over youtube? If it's possible it sure would beat the extra work of burning then sanding.

Advice is appreciated! Thanks for your help.

yakdung
07-04-2015, 01:45 AM
The time you will spend burning and sanding is not worth it IMHO. Having a drum sandblasted or purchasing a new unlined one is the way to go.
Good luck,

BigBobBQ
07-04-2015, 06:21 AM
sure thing, for some folks sandblasting is a better option.

Clay-b-que
07-04-2015, 06:46 AM
Just buy a drum that is burned out already. I found a place here in denver that had them for $44. It makes the build a lot easier. Good luck.

biggin69
07-04-2015, 10:59 AM
I had mine blasted inside and out when I built it. For the $20 it cost me, I would not even think about burning it out.

Fwismoker
07-04-2015, 11:05 AM
Get a harbor freight torch flame thrower or burn out...cleanup is pretty easy. I have had sand blasted...for the outside because they were powder coating it.

Is the pbc crew still sleeping?

Dmars13
07-04-2015, 01:18 PM
Hey Dwain,

I'd definitely go with the sandblasting. I'm in the process of making my second UDS. The first I tried to burn then use a wire attachment on my power drill to get it cleaned out. I had little success with the liner on the inside even with a second burn. I ended up finding a place that charged me $25 to sandblast it and that was that. Swore I'd never do it another way. Then I moved to Rhode Island and can't find any place that will do it for less than $60 so I'm back to using the power drill. I've had much better success this time, just extremely time consuming. I've been using a polycarbide abrasive wheel this time around and the liner is coming off fine. Though I do wish i had someone that would just sandblast it for $25!

I see you're in Gilbert, I used to live in Chandler the place I used to get my drum sandblasted is named Southwest Sandblasting and Painting just east of Arizona Ave on Germann. I'd give them a try! And just know I envy you right now!

Dwain Lambrigger
07-04-2015, 07:49 PM
DMars13,

don't envy me too much, it's 103 out here today!!!