PDA

View Full Version : Is my schedule right for this sundays cook on the PBC?

QandHacksAllDay
07-03-2015, 02:37 PM
Dinner is going to be right around 5ish. I am thinking that I need to start prepping the PBC and getting it up to temp around 6am. Two 9# butts going on around 6:30am to 7:00am. Hoping to do them around 250 and be done 1ish. I'll foil, wrap in a towel and into the cooler while the ribs cook. Planning on prepping 5 racks of BB ribs and refreshing the charcoal in the pit and get the ribs on by 2:00pm. Hoping to pull the ribs at 5 and then open up and pull the butts at the same time. Haven't tried to do 2 different things like this in the PBC for a family barbeque in one day. Are my times right?

Doug S.
07-03-2015, 02:41 PM
3 hours for ribs might be kinda short ??

QandHacksAllDay
07-03-2015, 02:55 PM
Usually takes about 3 to 3.5 on the pit barrel without wrapping the ribs. I may try to start the ribs closer to noon though after thinking about it.

Fwismoker
07-03-2015, 03:06 PM
Butts that size ain't gonna be in 6-7 hours @ 250 and ribs will take longer too at the temps you'll be at.

Do you have another cooker to use? Imo too many people try to do too much with single cookers.

Now if i had only one cooker i'd use my Jimmy...use my hinged grate and do the butts on that, then hang the ribs toward the second half of the cook.

AClarke44
07-03-2015, 03:22 PM
I would plan on at least 3.5 hours for the ribs. As for the butts, I'd cook them closer to 275. I'm not sure if they'll be done by 1pm at 250 but we all know stuff cooks faster in the PBC for some reason. I think the butts can be done in 6-7 hours but again I'd shoot for a slightly higher temp to make sure.

When I say food cooks faster in the PBC, It takes 5 hours for ribs in my kettle at 265-275 temps. In the PBC same ribs at the same temp will be 3-3.5 hours. I could attempt to explain why but that would spin this thread to a place I'm sure you don't want it to go.....:mrgreen:

Just remember when smoking, it's done when it's done. Give yourself some wiggle room and realize everything could be done at 4:30 or it could be done at 6 so plan accordingly.

Good luck!

Fwismoker
07-03-2015, 03:30 PM
When I say food cooks faster in the PBC, It takes 5 hours for ribs in my kettle at 265-275 temps. In the PBC same ribs at the same temp will be 3-3.5 hours.

[/QUOTE]

And much faster than that spinning.

QandHacksAllDay
07-03-2015, 05:02 PM
Yeah, on a non-pbc I would plan for a lot longer. I'm with AClarke on the whole faster cooking thing. I read the article over on amazing ribs, but it still doesn't make sense to me. All I know is this thing turns out some great food pretty quickly. Sounds like I should crack the air intake a bit more to make sure the temp gets up and these butts get done on time.

Unfortunately its the only cooker I have right now besides my Kenmore gasser, so my only option is to try and time everything right.

Thanks for the reccomendations all!

highergr0und
07-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Rib time is a bit short.... I've been more like 3.5 to 4 hours on my rib cooks on the PBC. Also, what are you doing to keep it at 250? The cooker usually settles around 280

I'd wake up at 530, light the barrel and have the butts on by 6 and let it run a little hotter. Put the ribs on around 12-1230 at the latest. May have to finish the butts in the oven if they go slow

Bob C Cue
07-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Best of luck. Have a great weekend!

QandHacksAllDay
07-03-2015, 05:49 PM
Rib time is a bit short.... I've been more like 3.5 to 4 hours on my rib cooks on the PBC. Also, what are you doing to keep it at 250? The cooker usually settles around 280

I'd wake up at 530, light the barrel and have the butts on by 6 and let it run a little hotter. Put the ribs on around 12-1230 at the latest. May have to finish the butts in the oven if they go slow

I don't measure it every time, but I keep the air intake mostly closed and I don't fill the basket all the way. I also put the lid on right away after after dumping the chimney in. When I have wanted to keep the temp lower I haven't really had a problem doing so with the description above. On a full load and using more in the chimney and the air intake at 1/4 I typically settle at 280 to 300.

highergr0und
07-03-2015, 07:10 PM
Ah, ok. If you're doing 250 on the butts I'd give yourself more time unless you're gonna crank it up over 300 to cook the ribs fast.