PDA

View Full Version : Time For Smoking Two Steaks

LG
10-24-2006, 04:22 PM
I would like an idea on time and temperature on say smoking two sirloin steaks for about med rare.my best to all here,Larry

thillin
10-24-2006, 04:31 PM
I would like an idea on time and temperature on say smoking two sirloin steaks for about med rare.my best to all here,Larry

WelcomeLG. Go to Cattle Call and introduce yourself.

I like to get some smoke flavor, then throw on a hot grill. Not sure about just smoking. Someone will chime in.

backyardchef
10-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Larry--

You might want to put it in the freezer for about a 1/2 hour, then in the coldest spot in your smoker just until it gets warm-ish and finish over high heat to med rare. I don't think there's much point in trying to smoke a steak, personally. You can also do it on a kettle over a pile of burning wood and get that campfire flavor. I also like the mesquite charcoal for this type of thing.

Maybe someone will have something more definitive to say....

LG
10-24-2006, 04:46 PM
Hey fellows this is my other addy I use to.ITS LARRY rom Texas.Hey
Matt I love Smoked steaks wow they are good ,I was just wonderin how you guys did them,nothin like it.My best Larry

thillin
10-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Hey fellows this is my other addy I use to.ITS LARRY rom Texas.Hey
Matt I love Smoked steaks wow they are good ,I was just wonderin how you guys did them,nothin like it.My best Larry

Quit messin with our heads.

JohnMcD348
10-24-2006, 10:16 PM
If I want a real good smoke in my steaks I'll put them in the smoke chamber for a good while until they just start to run from red to light tan, then I'll throw them on the grill to finish off. I thik the last time I did that they were in the chamber for about 30-45 minutes, the temp was fairly cool, maybe 150-200. It's been awhile since I've done it. I used my BSKD to do it in before I bought my big grill from Sam's. Now I'm playing with Offsetting and the divider channel to keep a cool smoke area versus a hot grill side.

CarbonToe
10-25-2006, 03:43 AM
Larry, If I was you I'd slap them over a very hot charcoal grill (with a handfull of wood chips/chunks for smoke) I wouldn't slow cook them.

Wine & Swine
10-25-2006, 09:33 AM
I sear mine over the coals in the firebox and then move to the chamber to smoke & rest until it hits temp. But I also use really thick (2" +) steaks.

BBQchef33
10-25-2006, 09:54 AM
I cookem in the hotspot next to the firebox till they are at the doneness I want. Inch thick strips take about 30-40 minutes. If i ant more smoke, i start in the cooler end, then move to the firebox.

I dont alsways char them over the coals though.. depends on the mood.

Bigdog
10-25-2006, 11:30 AM
I cookem in the hotspot next to the firebox till they are at the doneness I want. Inch thick strips take about 30-40 minutes. If i ant more smoke, i start in the cooler end, then move to the firebox.

I dont alsways char them over the coals though.. depends on the mood.
For those of you playing at home, Phil ment to say: "If you want more smoke..." and "I don't always..." Welcome to Philspeak. Set your decoder rings to the Longuyland setting.:razz: :razz: :roll:

BBQchef33
10-25-2006, 11:59 AM
your decoder rings to the Longuyland setting.:razz: :razz: :roll:

correction.

settting is "fast fingers, slow brain". :wink:

Bigdog
10-25-2006, 02:41 PM
BOT
I need to try this smoked steak thingie. Sounds good and easy. Must do next time they have shell steaks on sale.:wink:

Arlin_MacRae
10-25-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm with ya, Big!

Cuelio
10-25-2006, 03:48 PM
Smoked steak? Hmmm . . . Sounds like a creative way to sneak a burn in my smoker past my wife.

BBQ_MAFIA
10-25-2006, 09:30 PM
I always grill my steaks over hight heat. I may have to give them a go in the smoker.

Larry
10-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Just smoked 2 steaks ths past week and wow they were soooooo good,those of you that have not tried thias definately dont know what your missin,,Larry

ltleftylt
10-29-2006, 06:32 PM
I like to use my horizontal for steaks. Start a nice fire on one side, then throw on a handful of Oak with the steaks on the side with no coals. Let them sit there until the chips stop burning. Then I slide them on the hot side and finish them off. I like to marinate them in 1 shot of JD whiskey to 1 cup of olive oil. Then I spice them with seasonings from Hi Mountain. Trail Dust or the Hickory. In fact, I have 3 porter houses about ready to hit the grill. So I best get busy sticking my head in the bag of JD wood oak wood chips and get that hand full on the fire. I really need to get some more wood chips. All they stock here at the only store we have is JD oak chips. Time to place another order from Bass Pros I guess.