PDA

View Full Version : Looking to make some Wizz Bang Hamburgers for the Fourth.

Happy Hapgood
07-01-2015, 05:50 PM
Going to hand make patties 80/20. Was thinking about adding some Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow rub to the mix.

What do y'all add to the meat while making patties to give it a great taste?

Thanks! :grin:

brimclau
07-01-2015, 05:57 PM
Maybe sounds too simple but I like to leave the mixture to just the ground meat, and treat it like a steak, S&P both sides before grilling. always get compliments asking for the recipe.

Sometimes I'll go crazy and add a little granulated garlic (SPG)...

SmittyJonz
07-01-2015, 06:02 PM
Bacon.

Lighter-Fluid
07-01-2015, 06:31 PM
Add a little bulk sausage to the GB. I saw this on a episode of DDD and tried it. I'd always added egg, Mrs Dash, and used to add Lea and Perrins Steak Sauce but now use A1 thick and hearty. All the family were always raving about the burgers but the sausage trick got a wow I didn't think your burgers could be any better but.........

Happy Hapgood
07-01-2015, 06:36 PM
Great ideas all and Thanks. I'm really liking the gig about adding some sausage to the mix with maybe only salt and pepper.

Happy Hapgood
07-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Bacon.

But of course and cheese. :clap:

Teleking
07-01-2015, 07:25 PM
Onion soup mix or ranch dressing mix

bluetang
07-01-2015, 07:28 PM
Philly cheese in the grind is tasty.

Smoking Tunes
07-01-2015, 07:29 PM
Grate some Smoked Gouda Cheese. Make two small patties. Place grated cheese on first patty then place second patty on top and seal around the edges.

Or mix in hatched green chili peppers or bacon or both.

Happy Hapgood
07-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Looking at adding only spice to the meat and putting a slice of cheese and/ or BBQ sauce on request per burger.

Teleking
07-01-2015, 08:01 PM
Note: if you use onion soup mix you need to add a little moisture flavor of choice to hydrate the dried onions and not dry the burger out. Red wine, A1, soy, etc...

IamMadMan
07-01-2015, 08:01 PM
I get fresh coarse ground chuck from my butcher, it makes a better texture... My wife calls them steak burgers.

I add a little Worcestershire sauce to the meat and form thinner patties. I use a piece of well aged cheddar in the center of two patties and form one large patty. Aged cheddar doesn't melt well and is well suited for inside the burger.

You can add any cheese, fried onions, fried mushrooms, fried peppers, ect...

Before cooking I dust them with OakRidge Santa Maria Steak Seasoning, awesome.!!!

If I don't feel like stuffing them, adding Worcestershire sauce, onions, peppers, and/or mushrooms to the mix, and as Teleking said, sprinkle in a little Lipton Onion Soup mix it adds another flavor.

I avoid adding ground pork or bacon because we like our burgers done medium, too risky with ground pork or chopped bacon, but if they are well done, I suppose if it were well done it would be ok, to each their own food safety.

AClarke44
07-01-2015, 08:05 PM
When I make burgers I use some Italian dressing, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and Tony Chachere's. But the biggest reason they taste great in my opinion is because I get most my ground beef from my father-in-law who has a cattle farm in Arkansas. Farm raised beef is better in my opinion. Plus I add two layers of cheese. Usually a slice of cheddar and a slice of swiss. My kids love them!

These in the pic below weren't my best but were still darn good....only pic I had.

Brew n Que
07-01-2015, 08:10 PM
My philosophy with burgers is that you can't make beef better, just worse. The best patties I've had are beef only, with seasoning on the outside. Mixing stuff into the grind overworks the beef. Let your toppings be the whiz bang part. Remember, it's a burger, not meatloaf:grin:

Soybomb
07-01-2015, 08:13 PM
My philosophy with burgers is that you can't make beef better, just worse. The best patties I've had are beef only, with seasoning on the outside. Mixing stuff into the grind overworks the beef. Let your toppings be the whiz bang part. Remember, it's a burger, not meatloaf:grin:
I'm with you, not to say fillings don't make some great burgers, but a really good ground chuck just gently broken off, slightly shaped and seared with salt and pepper is the best burger for me.

LYU370
07-01-2015, 08:16 PM
I'll throw in a few splashes of Dale's Seasoning or Allegro Marinade and some rub. Peppered Cow, Texas Gold, Tatonka Dust.

bbqwizard
07-01-2015, 08:30 PM
Maybe sounds too simple but I like to leave the mixture to just the ground meat, and treat it like a steak, S&P both sides before grilling. always get compliments asking for the recipe.

Sometimes I'll go crazy and add a little granulated garlic (SPG)...
X2! Then I prefer to have a plethora of toppings to overwhelm people with:thumb:

Garrett
07-01-2015, 08:40 PM
I like to add those packs of Ranch dressing mix into burgers. Or chopped onion and salt pepper.

Clay-b-que
07-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Two ways I have had the best burgers do my life.
1. Seasoned salt, lemon pepper, worsteschire on both sides. Really gives it a great taste.
2. Just did these a couple of days ago and they were phenomenal! Stuff burgers with sauté jalapanoes and onions and cheddar cheese. Little jalapanoe season salt from BPS on both sides. Then melted cheddar on top with bacon and avocado. The wife kept telling me to take a picture and post it but I was too busy eating. It was really one of the best burgers I have ever had. Just the right proportions of everything!

You won't be disappointed in either of these!

defence18
07-01-2015, 09:50 PM
Seasoning salt, granulated garlic, ground mustard, and a touch of oregano.

93vpmod
07-01-2015, 09:55 PM
Farm raised beef is better in my opinion.

Is that compared to CITY raised beef? :shocked: :shocked:

Just josh in' you!!! I agree, I found a local private farm and I have not purchased brisket or ground chuck from anywhere else in the last two years!

Happy Hapgood
07-01-2015, 09:57 PM
Great ideas All!

I'm also liking some lemon pepper in the mix with salt & ground pepper. Do not want to get too fancy though.

Happy Hapgood
07-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Just josh in' you!!! I agree, I found a local private farm and I have not purchased brisket or ground chuck from anywhere else in the last two years!

Good point 93. The beef is what makes the burger. :clap:

landarc
07-01-2015, 10:08 PM
I sometimes add Worcestershire sauce to ground meat to punch up the flavor, just a touch. I definitely add salt to the meat, not just on it. So, adding the rub would be right there in terms of what I would do.

cirk
07-01-2015, 10:56 PM
Add some chorizo in the mix and avacados on top

retired trucker
07-01-2015, 11:26 PM
Great ideas All!I'm also liking some lemon pepper in the mix with salt & ground pepper. Do not want to get too fancy though.

You can't go wrong with the basic KISS burger in my opinion! And I love me some burgers. As mentioned above, if you add too much stuffing, you wind up with meatloaf. Have all the add on's available for each to do his own thang'! My thang is a good grilled 80/20 or so burger with some good cheese of choice added with mustard on a grilled bun, and some space to eat away until I am full. ( usually after 2 of the lovely Epicurean delights ) Anything else just gets in the way of the burger taste. I used to enjoy lettuce, tomato, and pickle, but found I liked them better nekkid.

Omar

AClarke44
07-01-2015, 11:32 PM

Lol....yeah I read that after I typed it and laughed at myself. :mrgreen: But I think you understood what I meant. I'm not sure what happens to beef that ends up in the grocery stores but it is noticeably more bland is the best way to describe it......all I know is the beef from his farm tastes much better, especially the ground beef..:biggrin1:

OS
07-01-2015, 11:35 PM
Frankly i dont buy ground anything anymore from the store.

For burgers, i grind tritip and bacon together.
The burgers for myself need nothing more than blue cheese and some caramelized onions.

JohnnyB
07-02-2015, 09:01 AM
Im a fan of adding an egg and a few splashes of Worcestershire for every pound of meat, and a good rub/S&P on the outside. I try not to overwork it too much, so I mix the egg and Worcestershire together in a bowl before adding to the meat. Sometimes when you bite into it, you get a pocket of juice that pours out, haha.

Teleking
07-02-2015, 09:02 AM
Lol....yeah I read that after I typed it and laughed at myself. :mrgreen: But I think you understood what I meant. I'm not sure what happens to beef that ends up in the grocery stores but it is noticeably more bland is the best way to describe it......all I know is the beef from his farm tastes much better, especially the ground beef..:biggrin1:

They get shipped to a feed lot and finished on grain or corn and pumped full of antibiotics.

nekkidsoles
07-02-2015, 09:51 AM
Ground chuck, gently mix in some garlic powder, onion powder & black pepper. A little bit of salt on the patties right before they hit the grill.

Bludawg
07-02-2015, 09:54 AM
Toast I mix my seasonings in the grind meat( Fiesta "Uncle Chrises Gourmet Steak" a little wooster sauce, Mckormick Season all & black pepper) then form my paties. IMO they just taste better as it is evenly distribuited and don't wash off while cooking but I'm a well done burger guy so they are on the fire longer.

Fwismoker
07-02-2015, 10:12 AM
I grew up with onion soup mix burgers....don't add as much as my dad did but a little is good, plus a little worctershire sauce.

gsmith
07-02-2015, 10:21 AM
a little whatsthishere sauce and either spog or lawry's w/black pepper. I can't get the lawry's w/black pepper around here so my brother sends it up to me. It really tastes great on a burger or steak.

PNW Smoker
07-02-2015, 12:00 PM
I'll be doing plain ol' beef patties with a couple cheese choices (cheddar, pepper jack, or swiss), standard toppings + avocado. The first thing I'll do is get up and smoke/cook some bacon using my standard dry rub :D

snapper-G
07-02-2015, 03:13 PM
I'm simple, garlic salt and black pepper on the outside

meinbmw
07-02-2015, 04:13 PM
Based on your experience, how much sausage added? 1/3 sausage and 2/3 burger?

Add a little bulk sausage to the GB. I saw this on a episode of DDD and tried it. I'd always added egg, Mrs Dash, and used to add Lea and Perrins Steak Sauce but now use A1 thick and hearty. All the family were always raving about the burgers but the sausage trick got a wow I didn't think your burgers could be any better but.........

Lighter-Fluid
07-02-2015, 06:03 PM
probably more like 1/4 sausage 3/4 beef.

grillist
07-02-2015, 07:26 PM
Keep the 80/20 patties you started with and just smoke them! 225 on oak or hickory and your guests will be crying.:wink:

jbounds286
07-02-2015, 07:31 PM
i used to add alot of stuff...worcestershire,,seasoned salt, pepper, garlic, onion...etc

now ive changed to...salt and pepper...cooked over a wood fire...for some reason they are the best burgers ive done yet lol

Bevoblood
07-02-2015, 07:54 PM
I've grind my own out of 1/3 untrimmed brisket, short rib and skirt steak and double grind.