PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Pork Loin

markrvp
06-29-2015, 09:55 PM
Here's what I did today. I got a full pork loin and cut half of it into 1" steaks. I dusted those with salt, garlic pepper, and Redneck Cookers Steaks and Chops rub on both sides. I individually vacuum sealed them and put them in the freezer for sous vide later on.

Then I took the remaining half and injected it. The injection was 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 3/4 cup apple juice and I added salt and sugar (not sure how much, but not more than 2 tbsp). After injecting I coated it with Kosher Salt, Garlic Pepper, and Grub Rub

http://www.texasfood.com/images/T/rub-m.jpg

I put it in the Big Green Egg setup for indirect heat with the platesetter. I added a couple chunks of Hickory and Pecan with RO Lump. I usually let my smokers cook at the temp they want to settle in at since my Stoker is in for repair. Today that ended up being 265 degrees. I cooked it until it reached 142 degrees internal temp. I pulled it and wrapped it in foil until it came up to 145ish (around 10 min). Then I let it rest under loose foil for 10 more minutes to rest. When I sliced it juice just went everywhere. This is definitely the tastiest, juciest pork loin I ever did. Taste had good smoke flavor and a little heat.

I used to cook pork loins to 160, but I'm convinced now that was too much. As I understand, USDA now recommends 145 as a minimum for pork, and that's all it needs.

landarc
06-29-2015, 10:19 PM
Sure looks nice.

BigBobBQ
06-29-2015, 10:44 PM
nice looking pork loin.

mchar69
06-29-2015, 10:55 PM
Looks fabulous!
Pull at 13o+ ish, it will rise to 140 - it's the new ok.

revkab
06-29-2015, 11:00 PM
What I like to do with pork loin is pretty similar, but after it is done, I slice it into 1" thick pieces, and freeze them individually. Later, in the winter or whenever I need something quick and easy, I take them out, thaw, then gently warm them in a frying pan, with a pat of butter. Makes fantastic, moist, smoky pork chops.