PDA

View Full Version : Vision Lump Charcoal

D-Train
06-29-2015, 04:35 PM
Sam's is selling a 20lb bag of Vision brand mesquite lump charcoal for $10. Never seen it or heard of it. Anyone use it? Like it? dislike it? Anyone know who makes it for Vision? Thanks!

Jason TQ
06-29-2015, 05:46 PM
They stopped selling Frontier at ones around me. I liked it and it was a good price. I hope they bring something back. I'll look for some Vision around here.

sparctek
06-29-2015, 05:53 PM
I bought a bag of it a couple of weeks go. I don't think I will be buying any more of it. I use lump charcoal to start a good coal base in my stick burner. This bag was mostly very small pieces, very thin almost like pieces of bark. It did have a few half-fist sized pieces but very few. May I just had bad luck with the bag, but I won't buy another one to find out.

Just not what I am looking for in lump charcoal.

Jesse

nucornhusker
06-29-2015, 07:12 PM
Vision used to have an Oak lump that had pieces the size of Fiats in the bag and it wasn't a bad lump, except it was wildly inconsistent. One bag would smell good and burn great, the next would stink and wouldn't burn for anything. If you see their Oak it may be worth a shot, but I don't know about the mesquite.

D-Train
06-29-2015, 10:07 PM
I bought a bag of it a couple of weeks go. I don't think I will be buying any more of it. I use lump charcoal to start a good coal base in my stick burner. This bag was mostly very small pieces, very thin almost like pieces of bark. It did have a few half-fist sized pieces but very few. May I just had bad luck with the bag, but I won't buy another one to find out.

Just not what I am looking for in lump charcoal.

Jesse

That's what I'm afraid of. Seems like there are a lot of lump brands out there that are about 50% dust and crumbs. Man, I miss getting the 10lb bags of Izard oak for $6. And I doubt the Jenks Fire department would be tickled about me trying to make my own in the backyard :wacko::mod: