PDA

View Full Version : question about smoking whole hog split in two?

bradyw79
06-28-2015, 02:06 PM
Hi, I am going to be smoking a 160 lb hog next weekend,I figure about 100lbs meat after cleaned. I am going to receive it skinned and was wondering if it is split down the spine into 2 pieces does it turn out as good as whole and if by splitting it does it cut down on cook time?

bbqwizard
06-28-2015, 02:36 PM
IMO it won't matter one way or the other. By splitting it and not cooking it whole, you are openeing up more surface area which should help in evening out the cook. Why are you having it skinned? More bark? That's fine, just make sure you are paying attention to all the grease.. In general, it is all about fire control. I don't know what you're cooking on, so just watch your fire control and you should be in good shape. You may choose to wrap it halfway through to help catch the grease and trap in moisture. Good luck! Post pics!

grantw
06-28-2015, 02:45 PM
It's not going to help because you are shooting for the shoulders and hams to be 185 to 195 ish all cutting it will bring is extra dry loins.

SGH
06-28-2015, 03:31 PM
It's been quite some time ago but we use to cook individual hog splits occasionally. As far as meat quality they turn out just as good as their whole counterpart. As far as cook time it always took about the same amount of time be they whole or halves. Now bear in mind that I'm comparing the halves to whole hog that was splayed out like a book and cooked on its back. Not to racer or runner style hogs. The few that I have cooked racer style seem to take the longest. By cooking halves instead of whole, the only thing that you are giving up is presentation. Everyone just seems to really like the look of a whole hog. But at the end of the day you can't taste presentation. Halves are certainly easier to handle and move around than whole hogs. I'm curious myself as to why you had the skin removed.

bradyw79
06-28-2015, 04:37 PM
I told my butcher (located in small town south dakota) that I prefered he leave the skin on but he said he didnt have a "scalder" which I assume is the process of removing the hair?? I thought about just hitting it with my weed torch but he wasnt sure it would work?? any thoughts?

SGH
06-28-2015, 04:45 PM
The best way is to scald them in hot water and then scrape the skin. This can be a chore but it is the best method in my opinion. The torch or weed burner method can leave some hair remaining below the skin. Also the smell is very unaccommodating to say the least.