PDA

View Full Version : Job transfer to Montgomery Al. Help a Yankee please

iamrwnut
06-28-2015, 01:28 PM
Wife and I will be moving from Michigan to Alabama in the next few months. She loves my BBQ, so I have been given permission to get a new smoker. Currently using an Akorn which I will be keeping along with my Weber. Really want a set it and forget unit with 1000 sq or more capacity. Looking to spend 1500-3000 on one.

So, anyone know of any smoker distributors in the area?

Any good BBQ restaurant recommendations?

Any local meat distributors?

pjtexas1
06-28-2015, 01:29 PM
Alabama, seriously?:becky: Lookup Shirley Fabrication.

edit: sorry...didn't see the set it and forget it part. All I saw was Alabama.:doh: And in case you think you know humidity...you don't.

iamrwnut
06-28-2015, 01:31 PM
That's where the job is, so yep Alabama

Happy Hapgood
06-28-2015, 01:41 PM

Do you have a hounds tooth hat or a red and white shirt? You will need it. :cool:

Good Luck! Lot's of great BBQ and seafood there.

Longbow63
06-28-2015, 01:45 PM
iamrwnut.....well get ready for Roll Tide and War Eagle on a daily basis. You want forget I said that either!

Hey, the white bbq sauce some use over there...ain't bad either.

Bludawg
06-28-2015, 01:48 PM
Stump, Assassin, Backwoods,

tgstrang
06-28-2015, 01:52 PM

Don't think he was saying anything about Alabama, just that you got the best pit builder in the world in your new back yard. If only you wanted a stick burner.

iamrwnut
06-28-2015, 01:55 PM
I lived in Pascagoula Mississippi previously. It was hot and humid there too :)

iamrwnut
06-28-2015, 01:59 PM
iamrwnut.....well get ready for Roll Tide and War Eagle on a daily basis. You want forget I said that either!

Hey, the white bbq sauce some use over there...ain't bad either.

The Alabama/Auburn deal came up in my final interview with an older polite lady in HR. She informed me I had a decision to make. Then asked me to look at her Auburn degree certificates on her wall before I decided.

Longbow63
06-28-2015, 02:11 PM
Love the SEC down here, just like we love our BBQ. Safe travels and good luck in the new job and with finding you a new cooker. I recently purchased a backwoods and I absolutely love it.

grantw
06-28-2015, 02:23 PM
I have had my backwoods for a few years now and like it, it more comes down to if you want a water cooker or not, if not stumps if ya do backwoods, the rest are clones of them anyway :-P

pjtexas1
06-28-2015, 02:27 PM
The Alabama/Auburn deal came up in my final interview with an older polite lady in HR. She informed me I had a decision to make. Then asked me to look at her Auburn degree certificates on her wall before I decided.

at least you know they have a sense of humor.

deguerre
06-28-2015, 02:35 PM

At which point I would have politely said, Roll Tide, Ma'am, it was nice knowin' ya. :becky:

nmeyer414
06-28-2015, 03:04 PM
well if you are wanting a set it and forget it and you have $3k to spend, then I would look at one of these.....?

http://www.yodersmokers.com/ys1500-pellet-grill.html

jjjonz
06-28-2015, 04:38 PM
Welcome to Alabama and yes.....ROLL TIDE !!!!! Where are you going to be located here in Bama ? Jim and Nicks got some good Q.

iamrwnut
06-28-2015, 05:02 PM
Welcome to Alabama and yes.....ROLL TIDE !!!!! Where are you going to be located here in Bama ? Jim and Nicks got some good Q.

Montgomery Alabama

HarrynVegas
06-28-2015, 06:41 PM
Montgomery is War Eagle country. Most of the other cities in the state are majority Bama. If you've never been to an SEC game, go to at least one. It is an amazing experience.

iamrwnut
06-28-2015, 07:07 PM
Montgomery is War Eagle country. Most of the other cities in the state are majority Bama. If you've never been to an SEC game, go to at least one. It is an amazing experience.

If I can get tickets to an Auburn game this fall, it is on my list of things to do right away. I am a college football fan so I am doing this.

Biloxidman
06-28-2015, 07:11 PM
Throw a Hotty Toddy at them every once in a while, then duck! (That's Ole Miss, who beat them last year when they were undefeated. :-D)

With that kind of spending money get a Kamado Joe Big Joe. You won't be disappointed.

jbounds286
06-28-2015, 08:16 PM

yea...SEC people think their games are "so special" lol...

but really...talk to Paul at Shirley Fabrication..hes is on here too TuscaloosaQ...u will def get a HIGH quality pit and the MOST bang for ur buck at the same time..IF you want to go stick burner that is
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/dxsnwqv93pu4sd5/rsz_20150404_101254.jpg?dl=0

jjjonz
06-28-2015, 08:27 PM
Montgomery Alabama

Here's your bbq restaurant...

http://www.jimnnicks.com/menus/montgomery/lunch-break/

churrodog
06-29-2015, 10:00 AM
First off let me welcome you to Alabama. And give you a big War Eagle.

I had Jim N Nicks last night and their hot links are out of this world. They wreck my body for the next day but oh so worth it. I don't know if there is better "chain" bbq around. Full Moon comes in a close second.

I'm up in the Bham area so I mostly know the spots around here if you ever want to do some driving there are some great spots.

Georgia is right next door and if I was looking for an easy to control pit it would be tempting to make a short drive to check out the Stumps setup.

http://www.tmbbq.com/the-year-of-alabama-barbecue/

churrodog
06-29-2015, 10:05 AM
I will go ahead and say that in my experience Alabama Q is a bit different than other areas of smoked meat. Most of the smaller or older spots are open pits with hickory under them. Butts and ribs are the most common and are typically not the fall off the bone tender type from these spots. Hell, Dreamland in Tuscaloosa cooks their ribs in an hour. Their sauce is great but if you're in Ttown and want something truly great check out Archibald's instead.

This year the tourism board has done something different and called it the Year of Alabama Barbecue. There's an app that you can download to your phone that has restaurants listed all over the state. Check it out!

I do plan on starting a discussion on the topic of our style of barbecue soon after I gather some more pictures. I really do think it is unique since it's a melting pot of everything else around.

Hog1990
06-29-2015, 02:54 PM
I would look at the Southern Q Limo Jr. or you can get a super nice Deep South for a little more than your budget...

iamrwnut
06-29-2015, 04:05 PM

I will be working about 15 minutes east of Montgomery. Not sure where we will settle yet.

robertpedro22
06-29-2015, 04:24 PM
Love the SEC down here, just like we love our BBQ. Safe travels and good luck in the new job and with finding you a new cooker. I recently purchased a backwoods and I absolutely love it.

Hotty Toddy!

JerryWS98
06-29-2015, 04:44 PM
Welcome to the Gump! Jim-n-Nicks isn't bad, but the best Q comes from my back yard. Some people swear by Country's BBQ, but I'm just not a fan.

When do you get in town?

MartinM
06-29-2015, 05:19 PM
I lived in Pascagoula Mississippi previously. It was hot and humid there too :)

I lived there a long time ago...
Kinda miss water snakes in the yard...

bbqwizard
06-29-2015, 05:33 PM
I lived in Anniston for a short time and, well, there wasn't much in the way of Q that I could find......with that, I will respond to your other question...

For Gravity: an Assassin
Water cooker: Backwoods
Pellet: Yoder or Cookshack (a little more $$$ but worth it IMO)

Congrats on the new job!

iamrwnut
06-29-2015, 05:42 PM
Welcome to the Gump! Jim-n-Nicks isn't bad, but the best Q comes from my back yard. Some people swear by Country's BBQ, but I'm just not a fan.

When do you get in town?

I am not sure :confused: I am transferring within my company. They need to backfill my current position before I can go. :doh: I have been told September, October or November..... so....

My wife and I will be scheduling a house hunting trip early August, we hope...

So much still up in the air until other people make up their mind

104timberwolf
06-29-2015, 05:55 PM
Plenty of good BBQ and southern (meat and 3) restaurants here. If you do Facebook, join LUNCH IN THE GUMP for great recommendations.

shagnasty
06-30-2015, 08:48 AM
I grew up in Alabama and let me affirm.... you will have to make a decision..... ROLL TIDE or war eagle....but its pretty easy...ROLL TIDE!. But you are very fortunate to have a lot of pit builders within a few hours drive. enjoy sweet home Alabama....there are lots of good BBQ joints close to you if you are like most of us who will drive a couple hours to experience them. Golden rule in B-ham ( the original) is much better than the franchised ones. Bob Sykes in Bessemer and Bob Gibsons in Decatur are just a few.