PDA

View Full Version : Brisket, offset smoker and WSM

bob3
06-27-2015, 10:19 AM
I've never been to Franklin's, but I have been to La Barbecue in Austin and had some mind-altering brisket. I can only assume Franklin's is at least as good.

I've read Franklin's book, watched many videos, and have tried to come even close to the briskets I've had at La Barbecue. Even my best, which I think has been executed fairly well doesn't come close to comparing. I've been using whole packers (choice grade) from RD.

I've thought about ordering prime or wagyu from Creekstone or SRF. I've also thought about buying an offset, but from what I've read here, I'd need to spend about $1,000 to buy a Lang or Horizon.

I do make some excellent pork butt, chicken and ribs on the WSM, but I've never achieved the magical brisket. Can this be done? Any tips? Should I buy an offest if this is what I'm after? Thank you!

pjtexas1
06-27-2015, 10:27 AM
It can be done. Just takes lots of practice. Need to get the fire management down and a process for you brisket. Won't happen on your first few but eventually you will hey there. Time, wood, meat, patience...

Edit: you can get really close on the wsm. I would get that down before dropping a lot of cash on another cooker. Better meat will help. What's lacking on your brisket?

Bludawg
06-27-2015, 10:40 AM
BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb

Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub

1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)

apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg

place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner

cook Brisket 4 hrs

remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.

after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.

once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.

Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.

*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

bob3
06-27-2015, 11:18 AM
Bark is just OK, flat is somewhat dry, lacks the smoke, salt and pepper flavor. I've used S&P rub (50/50 by weight), sometimes heavily so you can't even see the meat, up to 8 or so big chunks of wood (even post oak from fruitawood), and come close to following Bludawgs method. I normally get my WSM up to 250-275 but can't get it much higher - this is with over two chimneys of coals, one being a full hot one, and all vents wide open. I've wrapped in BP anywhere from 5 hours in up to 12 hours (lesson learned, too late at closer to 12 but I've struggled with bark) and then let it go for many more hours. I feel like I normally cook it enough, at times until it's fall apart like pot roast. One problem I suspect is I've been getting thin flats (maybe 2 inches thick). But even the point, when done well, is moist but still tastes like tender chucky out of the crock pot with a little liquid smoke and S&P. I'm being a little overly critical (guests love it) but it still is far off from where I'd like to be.

you can get really close on the wsm. I would get that down before dropping a lot of cash on another cooker. Better meat will help. What's lacking on your brisket?[/QUOTE]

grantw
06-27-2015, 11:29 AM
My briskets turn out deadly on my wsm, we don't have the non coated butcher paper, I usually use water sometimes it gets foiled depending more on weather, there always tender

grantw
06-27-2015, 11:38 AM
Oh ya I only use angus grade now

pjtexas1
06-27-2015, 11:44 AM
I would lose the water to get temps to at least 300 and probe the thickest part of the flat for doneness. Pot roast taste & texture usually comes when foiled too early. More wood chunks might help get a little more flavor. Wouldn't hurt to throw some onion and/or garlic powder in the rub. You using course kosher salt and course ground pepper?

Meatguyver
06-27-2015, 12:01 PM
If you're having trouble with temps getting higher you can flip the door upside down and find a way to keep it propped open at the bottom, allowing more air in. I used to do this when i lived in the northwest during the cold season. I modified my door by taking the handle off and replacing the screw that holds it in place with a longer one. It still locks and when you need higher temps you just open the door and it stays put. Blu's method is spot on as well!

BigLakeSmoker
06-27-2015, 12:08 PM
I recall hearing him mention that they use prime, not choice, for the meat at Franklin's. i really don't know how big a difference it makes since I've never cooked prime, but given the difference in price, there must be something to it.

Nuco59
06-27-2015, 12:31 PM
Don't beat yourself up- lower your bar a little and settle for 'really freakin' good". For damn sure don't go spending money on an offset in the search for mind altering brisket. The WSM is totally capable of out cooking us mere mortals :)

SmittyJonz
06-27-2015, 01:10 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202034

Smoking Westy
06-27-2015, 03:17 PM
I've had good luck cooking briskets on my WSM...

This particular brisket was cooked using Bluedawgs method listed above last 4th of July - planning on replicating this cook this coming weekend for the 4th.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/mjweste/Grilling/4400fa0a04484f762e8d823362c9f146_zpsb352cc2f.jpg (http://s155.photobucket.com/user/mjweste/media/Grilling/4400fa0a04484f762e8d823362c9f146_zpsb352cc2f.jpg.h tml)

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/mjweste/Grilling/7f1d37fc00e3d5894813cb97ee85ca83_zps2484a415.jpg (http://s155.photobucket.com/user/mjweste/media/Grilling/7f1d37fc00e3d5894813cb97ee85ca83_zps2484a415.jpg.h tml)

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/mjweste/Grilling/087322ed727fb4d19203dcc7b4a26191_zps54cf3367.jpg (http://s155.photobucket.com/user/mjweste/media/Grilling/087322ed727fb4d19203dcc7b4a26191_zps54cf3367.jpg.h tml)

Big Dan
06-27-2015, 03:25 PM
It's the wood ! :)

landarc
06-27-2015, 03:41 PM
The air flow, consequently, the smoke and heat interaction in a WSM is different from an offset. Thus, the flavor will be different. At higher heat, such as 275°F, the smoke flavor will be subdued in a WSM or other vertical cooker. The air simply moves over the meat differently. Even in offsets, there are differences between traditional, versus reverse flow cookers, based upon where you place the meat etc...

You'll notice that when cooks, such as Aaron Franklin, talk about brisket, they are pretty specific about where in the cooker they are placing the meat and why. In a vertical cooker, it doesn't matter. If you really want that flavor, get an offset. Even a cheap one, will work, you just have to work harder than one of those really nice custom ones.