PDA

View Full Version : Rib racks and door seals

Corporal_little
06-24-2015, 06:21 AM
Got two questions that I'm sure have been addressed already....

1. I've never used a rib rack on my offset smoker before. Do they work better than just putting the ribs directly on the grill? This is what I'm talking about:
http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq284/captruss24/ribrack.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/captruss24/media/ribrack.jpg.html)

2. I am loosing a ton of smoke around the doors on my rig. What's the best way to seal them?

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk174/CrimsonSmokeTeam/image.jpg1_zpsusqkf85m.jpg (http://s280.photobucket.com/user/CrimsonSmokeTeam/media/image.jpg1_zpsusqkf85m.jpg.html)

Nuco59
06-24-2015, 07:03 AM
Are they better? /shrug Rib racks are just for increasing available space- if you need it. I'd just as soon not use them but I don't have a monster cooker- so...

I'll leave your "leaky doors" remedy to the more knowledgeable Brethren who have dealt with such. Will say I have seen many gasket type products on Amazon that are sold for that exact purpose. They probably work: not much to mess up "door plus seal equals happy" (but I've been wrong before- ask my wife :grin:)

Beentown
06-24-2015, 08:23 AM
I just purchased some rib racks from Cabelas on sale for $6 I think. I only plan on using them for extending capacity as they take up capacity space of two but cook 6.

http://www.bbqgaskets.com

Bludawg
06-24-2015, 08:57 AM
If I spent hard earned money on a new custom pit and it leaked like that I'd carry it back and tell 'em to fix their fark up there is simply no excuse for poor workmanship. Looks like the doors sprung when they cut them out.

thirdeye
06-24-2015, 09:30 AM
I have a couple of the Klose racks, I like them because they have higher sides and long enough to keep the ribs from curling... and are angled so juices and/or spray sort of self-bastes as it trickles down.

http://i.imgur.com/DNnmvpf.jpg

Here is one empty

http://i.imgur.com/t3q1kgx.jpg

Beentown
06-24-2015, 10:42 AM
Also, when I see smokers with really leaky doors that tells me that there is a possibility of poor airflow.

By looking at your smoker I would assume it needs a bigger exhaust without a 90 in it. If it were drafting correctly it would pull out of the exhaust and little coming from the doors, poor seal or not.

Ag76
06-24-2015, 11:04 AM
Is the damper on the smoke stack opened all the way up? If not, the smoke has to go somewhere else.

Beentown
06-24-2015, 11:09 AM
Is the damper on the smoke stack opened all the way up? If not, the smoke has to go somewhere else.

That too.

SmittyJonz
06-24-2015, 11:14 AM
Exhaust does look small. I'd want bigger exhaust -lower.

DriverWild
06-24-2015, 11:17 AM
Racks are purely for capacity, no major difference in quality. As for smoke/airflow I would need to take a closer look at your fire and how you are managing it. No stick burner is going to be completely sealed. If you have smoke rolling out every crack then you probably need a cleaner fire. It does look like your exhaust stack might be a little narrow.

Corporal_little
06-24-2015, 12:25 PM
I should have worded my question better...

I was really wondering what kinds of gaskets (if any) you guys have used on your doors. I agree, I need to make sure we open up the stack fully when we're cooking.

SmittyJonz
06-24-2015, 12:29 PM
I should have worded my question better...

I was really wondering what kinds of gaskets (if any) you guys have used on your doors. I agree, I need to make sure we open up the stack fully when we're cooking.

Need to replace it with adequate size pipe Then make sure damper is open.........most don't worry about leaks if it don't affect temps.

THoey1963
06-24-2015, 12:30 PM
Check BBQGASKET.COM or Amazon. They have all sorts of rope or felt gaskets. Sizing will be based off how much gap you have. Might need to think about latches.

As for rib racks, I just don't like having to use them. The ribs don't look as pretty to me. Part of the reason for my new smoker. I hope to never need to use a rack again.

Corporal_little
06-24-2015, 07:10 PM
Need to replace it with adequate size pipe Then make sure damper is open.........most don't worry about leaks if it don't affect temps.

How big should the exhaust be? It's 6x6 now which is bigger than what I saw on other rigs. Don't really have a temp control problem. The thing will sit at 225 for 4-5 hours without me doing anything.

Someone told me I should add gaskets on the doors to try and stop most of the smoke from coming out there. Sounds like they don't know what they're talking about. I think I'll just leave well enough alone.

Thanks!

Corporal_little
06-24-2015, 10:01 PM
Just ran the calcs again and the exhaust stack seems to be the right size. The ID of a 250g tank is 32.5" and according to everything I've read, the exhaust stack should be 20% of the ID of the tank... Or 6". Am I missing something?

jbounds286
06-24-2015, 10:05 PM
yikes that is ALOT of leaking smoke for a custom smoker...id be pretty mad about that..take it back!

Beentown
06-24-2015, 10:09 PM
Didn't look like a 6" stack to me so apologies for the incorrect assumption. I would think that would be enough (with that much height but maybe not with the 90* turn right after the chamber.

Brew-Bq
06-24-2015, 10:41 PM
Before I told him to take it back I'd like to know the story. It says custom, maybe he built it, maybe a friend. If they saved some cash and came out w a decent smoker good job. Like a couple of people mentioned it could be an airflow/fire problem. He says it holds a nice steady temp. Now if a reputable company made it and it leaked because of bad workmanship that's another story.

Corporal_little
06-24-2015, 10:51 PM
Before I told him to take it back I'd like to know the story. It says custom, maybe he built it, maybe a friend. If they saved some cash and came out w a decent smoker good job. Like a couple of people mentioned it could be an airflow/fire problem. He says it holds a nice steady temp. Now if a reputable company made it and it leaked because of bad workmanship that's another story.

It was a friend who built it. I thought he did a pretty good job for a dumb hick from the backwoods of East Texas. It just leaks around the doors, someone mentioned adding gaskets, was just wanting to know yalls opinion on that. I'm not a writer, so I'm sure I confused the situation.

So to clarify....

If my rig holds good temps, but leaks smoke around the doors, should I add gaskets? If so, which ones are the best?

mikemci
06-24-2015, 11:17 PM
http://www.bbqgaskets.com/contact_3.html

pgyrogear
06-25-2015, 12:14 AM
Gasket that works Great for this application.Permatex High temp black silicon Gasket Maker, This is what I have found to work the best for smokers with various size gaps around the smoker led. You MUST clean the surface you are going to apply the silicon to super good and wipe it down free of oil. Put plastic rape on the surface you are sealing against and put a slight film of cooking oil on top just to keep the silicon from sticking. Apply silicon to the clean surface and close the door and let it sit for a few days. After a few days you can open the door and trim off the extra.

http://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-adhesives-and-tape/rtv-adhesive/permatex-13-oz-369-g-cartridge-ultra-black-maximum-oil-resistance-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker/416490_0_0/

Hope this helps

You can tell your friend that getting a good door flange seal on a pipe is not easy and takes time to master that skill.

ironmanerik
06-25-2015, 02:29 AM
I used (brethren recommended) hightemp sealant on my charcoal grill. As mentioned clean surface well I put blue painters tape on the door so it wouldn't stick. Make sure whatever product you choose is NSF approved. I found mine at Ace hardware.

Beentown
06-25-2015, 08:00 AM
It was a friend who built it. I thought he did a pretty good job for a dumb hick from the backwoods of East Texas. It just leaks around the doors, someone mentioned adding gaskets, was just wanting to know yalls opinion on that. I'm not a writer, so I'm sure5 I confused the situation.

So to clarify....

If my rig holds good temps, but leaks smoke around the doors, should I add gaskets? If so, which ones are the best?

IMHO, that much smoke coming out the doors is an airflow issue. If it were drafting how I like them to do the smoke (majority) would be forced out the stack instead of the doors.

Gaskets are the cheap fix. Try them and then contemplate a larger exhaust.

ButtBurner
06-25-2015, 08:19 AM
If it works good I would just use it as is. The door seals will probably gunk up some and help seal it if they are close

As far as an airflow issue I don't know, might be, but I would check the gap on the doors. Take a dollar bill and close it in the door at several places around the openings and see if it grabs it or if there are gaps in it. If it has small gaps they will probably seal over time

If they are large you may want to do something about it

Usually if there is an airflow issue you would have a hard time maintaining a good flame in the firebox due to lack of oxygen flowing through the pit.

Is that the case?

BoLiles
06-25-2015, 10:00 AM
those doors sprung when they cut them - i'd bet on it...I'd go gaskets and door clamps. Also, just watched Aaron Franklin's pit video - he talks about stack placement in regards to draw. I worry you have good looking pit that holds temp but has a bad design in regards to air flow draw. I'd make the builder change that stack to a new position (chamber center or just above grate) and go 8" round pipe.

Corporal_little
06-25-2015, 05:28 PM
If it works good I would just use it as is. The door seals will probably gunk up some and help seal it if they are close

As far as an airflow issue I don't know, might be, but I would check the gap on the doors. Take a dollar bill and close it in the door at several places around the openings and see if it grabs it or if there are gaps in it. If it has small gaps they will probably seal over time

If they are large you may want to do something about it

Usually if there is an airflow issue you would have a hard time maintaining a good flame in the firebox due to lack of oxygen flowing through the pit.

Is that the case?

Nope, no issues with that. I think you're right, I just need to leave well enough alone. Just a perfectionist....

Corporal_little
06-25-2015, 05:31 PM
those doors sprung when they cut them - i'd bet on it...I'd go gaskets and door clamps. Also, just watched Aaron Franklin's pit video - he talks about stack placement in regards to draw. I worry you have good looking pit that holds temp but has a bad design in regards to air flow draw. I'd make the builder change that stack to a new position (chamber center or just above grate) and go 8" round pipe.

If I do anything, this is exactly what I'll do. Thanks! The location of the stack did bother me a bit, and I think that's really the biggest issue. Well, that and no counter weights on the doors...

You guys are awesome. So glad I found this place.

mikemci
06-25-2015, 08:21 PM
I put a link to gaskets up for you earlier because that is what you asked for. As stated above, if you have a good draw going (which IS your goal), then you won't have the smoke escaping at the doors. Everyone is focused on the exhaust and we don't have any information on the intake. Exhaust is only half the equation. You could have a trash can sized exhaust but if you don't open the intake enough, it won't breathe.