PDA

View Full Version : Cutting down splits

bproffer
06-22-2015, 05:29 PM
So I found some red oak local to me and bought a 1/2 cord. Now I just need to get it out of the bed of my truck, but when it's 100°+ out my motivation is lacking.

I need to cut these down to a more manageable size to fit the firebox on the Lang 36. Would I be ok using my miter saw or should I use a chain saw to cut the splits in half lengthwise? Also, should I debark?

Thanks!

dport7
06-22-2015, 05:48 PM
A chop saw will be fine, if they'll fit.

Swine Spectator
06-22-2015, 05:51 PM
I use an Anaconda Slide Hammer:

Amazon.com : Anaconda 878 Slide-Hammer Manual Log Splitter : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21EN7xpVtdL.@@AMEPARAM@@21EN7xpVtdL

It works great.

mike-cleveland
06-22-2015, 05:53 PM
I use my miter and just cut either shorter or in half. It really depends on how your fire is going and how you stack. Once I get a good bed of coals it really does not matter. I will leave bark on. But my wood is usually very dry.

dport7
06-22-2015, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=Swine Spectator;3280673]I use an Anaconda Slide Hammer:

Those are nice I've seen it in action, in this case I think he's cutting them
Shorter.

yakdung
06-22-2015, 06:17 PM
If the logs are not too large in diameter, I use my bandsaw.

Fwismoker
06-22-2015, 06:29 PM
Get a real log splitter. There are electric, gas powered and hand powered hydraulic. I got a hand hydraulic at HF

Joe Black
06-22-2015, 06:38 PM
I tried using my miter saw, but most of the logs were too big. So, I bought a 24v. chain saw from Northern Tool. It's 10" and light enough to use one-handed. Makes cutting logs easy. I am still going to talk with one of the local fire wood guys and see what he would charge to cut me some 12" splits. Even though I have the chain saw, it would be nice not to have to use it in 100* heat.

Swine Spectator
06-22-2015, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=Swine Spectator;3280673]I use an Anaconda Slide Hammer:

Those are nice I've seen it in action, in this case I think he's cutting them
Shorter.

OK, I was reacting to this:

should I use a chain saw to cut the splits in half lengthwise?

Bevoblood
06-22-2015, 07:07 PM
I use my chop saw or saw saw all the time if they ain't to big.

mchar69
06-22-2015, 08:10 PM
should I use a chain saw to cut the splits in half lengthwise?

Just seeing the OP posted this.

No way a chop saw or chain saw is to be used in this fashion, err, By normal people.

unixadm
06-22-2015, 08:15 PM
I used a Homelite splitter from Home Depot and a Worx Jaw Saw. Took care of my Lang 36 needs.

smoke ninja
06-22-2015, 08:18 PM
Pretty sure op is meaning to cut splits down in length. Against the grain, not splitting with it. Chain saw, sawzall. miter box works but watch those fingers

bproffer
06-22-2015, 08:36 PM
Sorry for the confusion, but I meant in half lengthwise (across the grain). Most are 14-20" in length. I want to cut them down to roughly 10-12". I also have some I need to split with the grain as they are pretty large. I'll probably split them to 2-3" diameter and then cut to length. I figure this will give me a good mix of splits, chunks and kindling. I may try to de-bark some of the wood as it has old dried moss on it. I also noticed a few pieces that have some dry rot. I'll probably use those in the fire pit and not for smoking.

Thanks for the help!

mchar69
06-22-2015, 08:40 PM
Pretty sure op is meaning to cut splits down in length. Against the grain, not splitting with it. Chain saw, sawzall. miter box works but watch those fingerssplits in half lengthwise?[We need clarity - cutting it lengthwise is with the grain;
Op does NOT mean that...
So, yes - cross cutting pieces with the miter saw is a good way.
I've done this a million times. Easier, cleaner, safer than a chain saw..

bproffer
06-22-2015, 08:41 PM
I use an Anaconda Slide Hammer:

Amazon.com : Anaconda 878 Slide-Hammer Manual Log Splitter : Patio, Lawn & Garden (http://www.amazon.com/Anaconda-878-Slide-Hammer-Manual-Splitter/dp/B00KW4T64K)

It works great.

I looked at that. I was a little concerned by some of the reviews that said it was poorly constructed and prone to failure after a little use.

creekwalker
06-22-2015, 09:13 PM
I looked at that. I was a little concerned by some of the reviews that said it was poorly constructed and prone to failure after a little use.

Yes, those reviews say that the Anaconda works great for some greater or lesser time until the head comes off suddenly because of a very weak weld. The same seems to hold for this very similar looking tool:

Timber Tuff TMW-11 Manual Log Splitter, Green - Power Log Splitters - Amazon.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21gw2ToulTL.@@AMEPARAM@@21gw2ToulTL

Swine Spectator
06-22-2015, 11:29 PM

Going on two years with mine. No problems other than having to resharpen it after a friend used it over concrete. I have split oak, pecan, and hickory without issue.

htrisna
06-23-2015, 12:00 AM
I use a miter saw but I also got a large plier from Harbor Freight to hold the split when the length gets close to the blade to keep my hand from getting too close, eyes and ears protection, then a hammer for the occasional times when the blad bit into the split and gets stuck. I just hammer the split to come off of the blade.

Go slow and concentrate. Remember, it is a dangerous operation.

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii530/htrisna/bbq/CuttinWood.jpg

Nowadays I chop for chunk size until it's about a footlong, then I keep the remainder as is. The operation is more dangerous when the split gets short. So I have a pile of chunks, and a pile of footlongs. For the multiple cookers I have. I even save the sawdust for the quick charcoal grilling sessions.

If you haven't bought your miter saw, buy the biggest diameter you can. I wished I'da gone with a 12" blade for those thick girthed splits

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii530/htrisna/bbq/c95a3520194ea4f9322545f2c5e85e95.jpg

NickTheGreat
06-23-2015, 07:01 AM
I'd use the miter saw if you have one. Unless you forsee yourself doing this a lot, then look into the decided tools.

But a miter will cut the wood in half (cross cut).

ironmanerik
06-23-2015, 07:21 AM
I bought a truck load of oak for the fire pit that is really nice so I started cooking with it. The pieces are longer than the firebox is wide. Once the coal bed is established I put the pieces in diagonally, seems to work pretty well.

Bludawg
06-23-2015, 08:54 AM
I use a* Redneck bucking horse and a Chain saw, *lay two splits side by side put the one you want to cut on top fire up the Sthil and wack it in two. My splitin maul handles reducing the Dia. gives me a little upper body work out too which is never a bad thing.

retired trucker
06-23-2015, 10:28 AM
I use a* Redneck bucking horse and a Chain saw, *lay two splits side by side put the one you want to cut on top fire up the Sthil and wack it in two. My splitin maul handles reducing the Dia. gives me a little upper body work out too which is never a bad thing.

And also you don't have to worry about the heat where you live, so it is a bit easier than it is in Ca. :mrgreen: :loco:

I used to go to the rental store and rent a log splitter for a day for about $30 and split 3/4 of a cord in one day for a year's worth of cooking wood. ( I being my wife and myself)

Omar

Bludawg
06-23-2015, 12:35 PM
Right now the thermometer on the porch says 95 in the shade I best put on my acrtic flight parka before I go out lest I get hypothermia & frostbite :-P

Packmanjim
06-23-2015, 02:14 PM
I split my firewood with an axe then cut it on my chop saw. Works great!