PDA

View Full Version : All night brisket

smokinbadger
10-21-2006, 10:55 PM
I am giving my new charcoal basket its first real test tonight, as I just started a brisket an hour ago. Here's a picture of the new basket, which doesn't show the second row of baffles I added to each baffle shown to prevent lighting off the charcoal prematurely.

http://picasaweb.google.com/smokinbadger/Charcoalbasket

Tomorrow morning I'll throw on three racks of baby backs which have been sitting in the fridge with dry rub for a couple of hours already. I added a little bit of peach jello to the rub this time--I'll let you know how it turns out!

MilitantSquatter
10-21-2006, 11:26 PM
Basket looks good... Good luck with the cook...

Plowboy
10-21-2006, 11:36 PM
I am giving my new charcoal basket its first real test tonight, as I just started a brisket an hour ago. Here's a picture of the new basket, which doesn't show the second row of baffles I added to each baffle shown to prevent lighting off the charcoal prematurely.

http://picasaweb.google.com/smokinbadger/Charcoalbasket

Tomorrow morning I'll throw on three racks of baby backs which have been sitting in the fridge with dry rub for a couple of hours already. I added a little bit of peach jello to the rub this time--I'll let you know how it turns out!

Peach jello? Interesting!

I did a little mango/habanero reduction glaze tonight for some oven roasted chicken. Wife like it. Wasn't too hot since i tried not to put the bulk of the seeds and ribs of the habanero in.

we'll smoke u
10-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Hey Badger I know they say there are no stupid questions but is the jello dry out of the packet. I no the answer is yes becuase you said dry rub but humor me please. LOL

The basket looks great I have one I made and I love it.

smokinbadger
10-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Hey Badger I know they say there are no stupid questions but is the jello dry out of the packet. I no the answer is yes becuase you said dry rub but humor me please. LOL

The basket looks great I have one I made and I love it.

Hey,

Yes, the jello is dry out of the packet. I used about 1/2 of a small jello packet mixed with my normal dry rub for 3 racks. After a couple of hours or so, I started misting the ribs with apple cider.

The brisket is off now and resting and I put the ribs on at about 9:30 this morning. So far so good!

smokinbadger
10-22-2006, 01:30 PM
Here I go replying to my own post again. Here are some pictures to show how the brisket turned out in my first attempt at using my new charcoal basket. It tasted great, and the basket let me get a few hours of sleep too.

http://picasaweb.google.com/smokinbadger/Brisket

By the way, my wife thinks it's a little strange that I am posting pictures of food. Does anybody else get similar comments/funny looks from their SO's?

Ron_L
10-22-2006, 02:01 PM
Nice lookin' brisket! Nice smoke ring.

By the way, my wife thinks it's a little strange that I am posting pictures of food. Does anybody else get similar comments/funny looks from their SO's?

I used to, but now she just shakes her head and walks away. :shock:

bbqjoe
10-22-2006, 02:03 PM
Nice lookin' brisket! Nice smoke ring.

I used to, but now she just shakes her head and walks away. :shock:
Similar response here as well. But now she's just used to it.

jgh1204
10-22-2006, 02:10 PM
Yep. Mine too.

we'll smoke u
10-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Only when I'am naked taking the pictures.

I KNOW WAY TO MUCH INFORMATION. LOL

Q_Egg
10-22-2006, 02:58 PM
... good looking basket and better looking brisket! Seems like it can only get better as you do several cooks and fine tune the process.

Thanks for the pics!

thirdeye
10-22-2006, 04:37 PM
...By the way, my wife thinks it's a little strange that I am posting pictures of food. Does anybody else get similar comments/funny looks from their SO's?

Just take a couple pictures of some of that stuff she makes, that'll stop the funny looks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%202/d0a8d372.jpg

The_Kapn
10-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Just take a couple pictures of some of that stuff she makes, that'll stop the funny looks.

OKIE-DOKIE I give.

WTF is that? :redface:

Looks scrumdelicious!

TIM

thirdeye
10-22-2006, 05:58 PM
OKIE-DOKIE I give.
WTF is that? :redface: Looks scrumdelicious!
TIM

That's exactly what I said when I came home from the bar one night. Heheee.

It's a chocolate cheesecake with dark choc icing & fresh raspberries. Those leaves are light chocolate and I think that chocolate drizzle in the center was supposed to be a branch.

ThomEmery
10-22-2006, 07:35 PM
T Eye That Cake Sounds GREAT