PDA

View Full Version : Butcher paper

Harrjack
06-18-2015, 09:54 PM
I've only been a member for a short while, I e been smoking meat for a good while. I have one question. Does using butcher paper improve the final meat product. I've never used it, I have used foil off and on. Just trying to improve.
Thanks

HOG FAN
06-18-2015, 10:15 PM
The butcher paper helps to hold the color from getting too dark and helps with moisture but doesn't kill the bark or steam the meat like foiling.

IamMadMan
06-19-2015, 05:40 AM
If you have used foil, then you may know why many complain of soft or mushy bark when they use foil.

The best advice I can give is buy a roll of uncoated butcher paper, doesn't matter what color and use it in place of foil, and see how you like it and if it gives you the results you desire. If you don't want to put out the funds for a full roll of butcher paper, experiment with a cook using a brown paper bag, just make sure you open the bag at the seams and then cut off all glued edges.

Foil will trap the moisture (steam) and will cause a braising effect on your meat. The trapped moisture (steam) also produces a soft, soggy, and sometimes mushy bark.

Butcher paper will allow the meat to breath while it speeds up cooking time and Keeps the nice firm bark you desire.

Some butcher papers are treated with a coating, some think it is merely a wax coating. The coating may not be wax, but could more likely be a thin polyethylene coating. Either way, wax or plastic coated papers are not really suited for cooking food in them. They are designed to seal the meat in a manner to prevent loss of moisture for short term storage and/or freezing. You do not want to use coated paper, not just because the coating could cook into the surface of the meat, but coated papers will trap the steam the same as foil. So if your only choice is coated paper, stay with foil because they will cook in the same manner.

The preferred butcher paper has no coating of any type and is thicker, denser, and heavier in weight. Uncoated butcher paper will allow the meat to breath while it speeds up cooking time and keeps that bark nice and firm.

Some people will tell you to get paper from Home Depot that they cover new floors and counter tops to prevent marring and damage, but some of these papers are treated with rosin. Rosin is made from distilled turpentine and also contains abietic acid and other hydrocarbons. Others will also recommend the use of kraft paper or even the use of paper bags. The issue here is; that because of production standards/processes these papers are not rated safe for direct contact with food.

Many will tell you that these are ok to use because they have used them years, they don't get sick when using them, they haven't grown a third eye, and all is well. In the same sense, some people will pick dropped food up off the ground and claim the 3-5 second rule and eat it, while others are more comfortable letting the dog have it or just throwing it away.

The bottom line is: you will be the one using the paper and only you can choose your level of comfort in using these different papers. If you are comfortable using paper bags or kraft paper, then you are free to use it as you want.

Yes, uncoated butcher paper is rated safe for direct contact with food, and yes it is safe to cook in the paper in a hot smoker. Paper unless modified by other chemicals doesn't burn by itself until about 450 degrees Fahrenheit. As long as the paper isn't exposed directly to the flame, hot charcoal, hot embers, the paper should be fine in a smoker under 380 degrees.

I have cooked with foil as well as butcher paper in the past, but now I prefer to cook without them. It's merely a personal choice which revolves around your level of comfort and your time schedules. There are occasions when target times have to be changed or times that do not permit a lengthy cook and I have to use the paper.

In the end, paper and foil are just tools that can be used for the cook to achieve the product he/she is comfortable serving to others. Don't do something because others do it, but rather because the end result is what you desire.

Smoking Bruin
06-20-2015, 03:27 PM
If you have used foil, then you may know why many complain of soft or mushy bark when they use foil.

The best advice I can give is buy a roll of uncoated butcher paper, doesn't matter what color and use it in place of foil, and see how you like it and if it gives you the results you desire. If you don't want to put out the funds for a full roll of butcher paper, experiment with a cook using a brown paper bag, just make sure you open the bag at the seams and then cut off all glued edges.

Foil will trap the moisture (steam) and will cause a braising effect on your meat. The trapped moisture (steam) also produces a soft, soggy, and sometimes mushy bark.

Butcher paper will allow the meat to breath while it speeds up cooking time and Keeps the nice firm bark you desire.

Some butcher papers are treated with a coating, some think it is merely a wax coating. The coating may not be wax, but could more likely be a thin polyethylene coating. Either way, wax or plastic coated papers are not really suited for cooking food in them. They are designed to seal the meat in a manner to prevent loss of moisture for short term storage and/or freezing. You do not want to use coated paper, not just because the coating could cook into the surface of the meat, but coated papers will trap the steam the same as foil. So if your only choice is coated paper, stay with foil because they will cook in the same manner.

The preferred butcher paper has no coating of any type and is thicker, denser, and heavier in weight. Uncoated butcher paper will allow the meat to breath while it speeds up cooking time and keeps that bark nice and firm.

Some people will tell you to get paper from Home Depot that they cover new floors and counter tops to prevent marring and damage, but some of these papers are treated with rosin. Rosin is made from distilled turpentine and also contains abietic acid and other hydrocarbons. Others will also recommend the use of kraft paper or even the use of paper bags. The issue here is; that because of production standards/processes these papers are not rated safe for direct contact with food.

Many will tell you that these are ok to use because they have used them years, they don't get sick when using them, they haven't grown a third eye, and all is well. In the same sense, some people will pick dropped food up off the ground and claim the 3-5 second rule and eat it, while others are more comfortable letting the dog have it or just throwing it away.

The bottom line is: you will be the one using the paper and only you can choose your level of comfort in using these different papers. If you are comfortable using paper bags or kraft paper, then you are free to use it as you want.

Yes, uncoated butcher paper is rated safe for direct contact with food, and yes it is safe to cook in the paper in a hot smoker. Paper unless modified by other chemicals doesn't burn by itself until about 450 degrees Fahrenheit. As long as the paper isn't exposed directly to the flame, hot charcoal, hot embers, the paper should be fine in a smoker under 380 degrees.

I have cooked with foil as well as butcher paper in the past, but now I prefer to cook without them. It's merely a personal choice which revolves around your level of comfort and your time schedules. There are occasions when target times have to be changed or times that do not permit a lengthy cook and I have to use the paper.

In the end, paper and foil are just tools that can be used for the cook to achieve the product he/she is comfortable serving to others. Don't do something because others do it, but rather because the end result is what you desire.

Amen! Great post!

Wolverine1967
06-20-2015, 03:45 PM
Thanks for ASKING the question and many thanks to the guys ANSWERING the question. Very much appreciate cracking the code!

Melissaredhead
06-20-2015, 03:48 PM

Perfect. This.
:clap2:

Bevoblood
06-20-2015, 04:27 PM
Madman hit the nail on the head. Perfect post and answer. I wrap in butcher paper sometimes and sometimes I don't just depends on how my cook is going. Make sure your smoke is clean and you should get good results.

x1jett
06-20-2015, 06:08 PM
Madman is spot-on. The only use I now have for foil is the fabrication of my cone-shaped hats that shield my brain waves from aliens and the illuminati.

Danny B
06-20-2015, 07:17 PM
http://video.klru.tv/video/2365494916/

Here is a great example of all three methods of cooking brisket.