PDA

View Full Version : Kingsford applewood briquettes in a WSM????

lantern
06-14-2015, 06:50 AM
Has anyone tried Kingsford applewood briquettes in a WSM?

My usual fuel is Royal Oak lump or Stubbs briquettes or Royal Oak chef select, but I'm always up for some experimenting. I've never used the stuff even for grilling, but if it works it seems it COULD eliminate the placing of wood chunks in the cooker. But, what's throwing me off is that there's NO mention of that type of cooking on the bags like there is on Kingsford comp.

I'll pick up a bag or two to mess around with, but wanted to ask the brethren what their experiences are with this. I'm guessing it's the standard blue bag stuff being used here instead of the competition blend.

LarryO1947
06-14-2015, 07:05 AM
I have never seen it. Will be interested to hear what others have to say.

effinUker
06-14-2015, 07:09 AM
I did a butt with them last weekend on my Weber kettle. I added applewood chunks on top anyway. They burned fine, I did a snake 3 wide with 2 on top, and the chunks distributed around the first 2/3 of the snake. About 8 hours total on the grill and I still had coals burning to choke. It would have burned another couple hours if I didn't. One of my best this summer.

Bob C Cue
06-19-2015, 11:13 PM
I just so a post about Kingsford Applewood Charcoal on another forum but no one had tried it yet. I think I will give it a try. The reviews on Kingsford's (https://www.kingsford.com/products/charcoal-with-applewood/) site are pretty positive.

Smokesignalsfromtx
06-20-2015, 12:05 AM
Haven't used it in my WSM yet, but we do use it in our Backwoods G2 Chubby. Love it!

effinUker
06-20-2015, 08:45 AM
I just so a post about Kingsford Applewood Charcoal on another forum but no one had tried it yet. I think I will give it a try. The reviews on Kingsford's (https://www.kingsford.com/products/charcoal-with-applewood/) site are pretty positive.

Good luck! I'd be interested to hear how you like it. I think I'd buy it again.