PDA

View Full Version : Adding Wood To Offset Question

Wesman61
06-11-2015, 08:50 AM
For those of you who only use unburned logs on offsets, are you able to keep fairly even temps as you add wood. I'm thinking about this as I consider getting another offset. Using lump and splits was very frustrating when I had a New Braunfels COS. I'm hoping a better offset with thicker walls and better heat retention will be less stressful and turn out better results.

zanna5910
06-11-2015, 08:53 AM
An offset requires attention, so you will be doing adjusting to keep temperature the same. That, of course, can be minimized.

It will matter how efficient the smoker is, how thick and tight it is, how big it is, and the size of your splits. If all these are in balance, 1 split does not cause great fluctuation.

SmittyJonz
06-11-2015, 09:01 AM
Offsets cook in a temp range - target temp +\- 25*, higher end pits +\- 10*.

Let's say you want 250* -as log burns down to coals pit drops to 225* you add a log, it climbs to 275* and then slowly falls back to 225* - repeat. It can be every 30 minutes for a cheap pit and up to 1 1/4 hr on high end pits.

You also have to find the right size split or log for your smoker. Too big will cause bigger temp swings. Some guys split their splits and some cut them down to 8-10".

Bludawg
06-11-2015, 09:13 AM
^^^this^^^ Smitty stole my thunder

Wesman61
06-11-2015, 09:28 AM

Let's say you want 250* -as log burns down to coals pit drops to 225* you add a log, it climbs to 275* and then slowly falls back to 225* - repeat. It can be every 30 minutes for a cheap pit and up to 1 1/4 hr on high end pits.

You also have to find the right size split or log for your smoker. Too big will cause bigger temp swings. Some guys split their splits and some cut them down to 8-10".
I was able to do close to this in my NB. I guess I was caught up in trying to keep the temps from fluctuating too much. If +/- 25° is okay then I'll try keeping it in that range. It just seemed like the beef that I was smoking wasn't getting as tender as what I can do on the Treager. Maybe temp fluctuations weren't the issue.

Wesman61
06-11-2015, 09:32 AM
Also, I've been reading Aaron Franklin's book and it's got me thinking about using the size difference of the logs to my advantage.

Bludawg
06-11-2015, 09:41 AM
If you want even temps keep your splits close to the same size it shortens the learning curve and you will know aprox how long before you need to add the next one. K.I.S.S.

Porcine Aviator
06-11-2015, 11:54 AM
I was able to do close to this in my NB. I guess I was caught up in trying to keep the temps from fluctuating too much. If +/- 25° is okay then I'll try keeping it in that range. It just seemed like the beef that I was smoking wasn't getting as tender as what I can do on the Treager. Maybe temp fluctuations weren't the issue.

Others may disagree, but I have found that this kind of temp. swing does not affect the outcome-- as some believe.

Some folks are really anal about temp. swings, but I think they are inevitable when you are burning wood.

You may find that adding moisture in a stick burner will improve things. There is much more air flow in an offset than some other designs and that tends to dry out the cooker and the food--- less so on fatty cuts.

I have a 12"X18" surface pan in mine and notice a significant difference in moistness. Myron Mixon's water cooker has a water bath that covers the entire grill space, and I think Franklin uses water. You can see if it helps.

Wesman61
06-11-2015, 12:15 PM
Others may disagree, but I have found that this kind of temp. swing does not affect the outcome-- as some believe.

Some folks are really anal about temp. swings, but I think they are inevitable when you are burning wood.

You may find that adding moisture in a stick burner will improve things. There is much more air flow in an offset than some other designs and that tends to dry out the cooker and the food--- less so on fatty cuts.

I have a 12"X18" surface pan in mine and notice a significant difference in moistness. Myron Mixon's water cooker has a water bath that covers the entire grill space, and I think Franklin uses water. You can see if it helps.

I used a small disposable loaf pan in the COS. Maybe I need to get a bigger pan to help with temp regulation. Works for planet earth lol.

SmittyJonz
06-11-2015, 12:25 PM
I run water pans.

Richard1233
06-11-2015, 02:00 PM

This is basically how I run my smoker. U get used to it and I actually have more fun with it. I'd rather not just sit back and do nothing. With my stick burner I have to be on top of the fire all the time while drinking beers. I think it's fun trying to maintain and with some meats I got so good at it I can maintain between 275 and 250 rather then 280-220 range. I can really cut down the range of my fire for certain meats that need to be steady.