PDA

View Full Version : Help with first whole hog cook.

cayenneman
06-10-2015, 04:47 PM
So Ive been asked to cater and event for 100 people. They want whole hog for 100 people, ribs and chicken with sides. Having never done a whole hog I need to ask the professionals. They want it served belly down like the one in the pic above. So I have a few questions;

1. How big a dressed hog should I get for 100 people?
2. How long roughly will it take to cook a hog at 250°?
3. What prep work should be done before throwing it in the pit?
4. When its done, what is the best way to serve it? Cut through the skin and let people "pig pick" it?

Anything else that may be important to know, please feel free to sound off. Thank you very much!
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh212/dwdrummer08/IMG_4182_zpss0wzsxkw.jpg (http://s257.photobucket.com/user/dwdrummer08/media/IMG_4182_zpss0wzsxkw.jpg.html)

bbqwizard
06-10-2015, 11:31 PM
See post below.

bbqwizard
06-10-2015, 11:34 PM
So Ive been asked to cater and event for 100 people. They want whole hog for 100 people, ribs and chicken with sides. Having never done a whole hog I need to ask the professionals. They want it served belly down like the one in the pic above. So I have a few questions;

1. How big a dressed hog should I get for 100 people? 50-80# considering you have more entree meats.
2. How long roughly will it take to cook a hog at 250°? Last one I did that size took 10-12 hours.
3. What prep work should be done before throwing it in the pit?there are a number of things that can be done, however the easiest is to trim any excess, then score or pull the membrane, slather the cavity and cover liberally with seasoning. You may choose to inject it at this time as well
4. When its done, what is the best way to serve it? Cut through the skin and let people "pig pick" it? I like to cut the skin on one side and pull the meat away. you may choose to let people pick at it, or cut, portion and platter the meat.

Anything else that may be important to know, please feel free to sound off. Thank you very much!Have fun! and don't sweat it. Be sure to control your fire and don't over cook it! If you are nervous about keeping the loin moist, pack around it with sausage. Be sure to take a lot of picks!
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh212/dwdrummer08/IMG_4182_zpss0wzsxkw.jpg (http://s257.photobucket.com/user/dwdrummer08/media/IMG_4182_zpss0wzsxkw.jpg.html)[QUOTE=cayenneman;3268680]So Ive been asked to cater and event for 100 people. They want whole hog for 100 people, ribs and chicken with sides. Having never done a whole hog I need to ask the professionals. They want it served belly down like the one in the pic above. So I have a few questions;

1. How big a dressed hog should I get for 100 people? 50-80# considering you have more entree meats.
2. How long roughly will it take to cook a hog at 250°? Last one I did that size took 10-12 hours.
3. What prep work should be done before throwing it in the pit?there are a number of things that can be done, however the easiest is to trim any excess, then score or pull the membrane, slather the cavity and cover liberally with seasoning. You may choose to inject it at this time as well
4. When its done, what is the best way to serve it? Cut through the skin and let people "pig pick" it? I like to cut the skin on one side and pull the meat away. you may choose to let people pick at it, or cut, portion and platter the meat.

Anything else that may be important to know, please feel free to sound off. Thank you very much!Have fun! and don't sweat it. Be sure to control your fire and don't over cook it! If you are nervous about keeping the loin moist, pack around it with sausage. Be sure to take a lot of picks!

IamMadMan
06-11-2015, 05:49 AM
Sounds like you have your hands full; a whole hog, chicken, and ribs with side dishes...

Keep us posted....

1MoreFord
06-11-2015, 06:32 PM
Be sure to have containers around catch the grease! You're gonna render a bunch of lard.

cayenneman
06-13-2015, 12:59 PM
Thanks everybody!

crb478
06-13-2015, 02:16 PM
When it is done the skin will no longer be attached to meat, so just pull it out of the way. It will be done when it is done, but you may need to put a hotter fire under the hams. I usually use thermometers and pull at the bones and ribs to see if it is done.