PDA

View Full Version : how do u clean your smoker?

Tut-T-Que
06-07-2015, 09:38 PM
jus wonderin how u do it. if u clean it or jus scrape her of grissle n keep it movin

Fwismoker
06-07-2015, 09:42 PM
Scrape and fire (weed type burner) warming torch from HF. Never use water...fire rules.

Bludawg
06-07-2015, 09:51 PM
Run it up hot and blast it with the hose close the door wait 10 min and open the drain valve. Then wipe the racks with paper towel, Let it run another 20 min and shut it down.

SmokeŽ
06-07-2015, 09:56 PM
This^^^^^^

bproffer
06-07-2015, 10:13 PM
Run it up hot and blast it with the hose close the door wait 10 min and open the drain valve. Then wipe the racks with paper towel, Let it run another 20 min and shut it down.

I did this today after my first cook on my Lang. Worked like a charm.

Richard1233
06-07-2015, 10:43 PM
I don't clean mine. Just foil to the grates to get the old food/juices off and that's it.

ssv3
06-07-2015, 10:50 PM
Just like Blu does.

food4thot
06-07-2015, 10:58 PM
Not familiar with the concept

Bob C Cue
06-07-2015, 11:04 PM
There was one?

There Was One?, Cruiser Car Club, Dork, Stripes scene - 1981 - YouTube

GrillsGoneWild
06-07-2015, 11:15 PM
You're supposed to clean them?

LYU370
06-07-2015, 11:27 PM
The inside of mine looks like a coal mine. It took a lot of smokes to get it that way and I'm not about to wash it away. The only thing I clean are the racks every now and then. And maybe scrape down the sides if they get too crusty.

borzwazie
06-08-2015, 12:38 AM
The inside of mine looks like a coal mine. It took a lot of smokes to get it that way and I'm not about to wash it away. The only thing I clean are the racks every now and then. And maybe scrape down the sides if they get too crusty.

I scrape and wipe the racks clean before a cook, after they get hot, but before I put the food on.

The inside of my UDS looks like the blackest, charred, pit of Hades. I call it anti-rust coating. :becky:

LarryO1947
06-08-2015, 03:42 AM
Racks only....

quamdar
06-08-2015, 11:17 AM
Same way I clean my grill. Scrape the grates quick to remove any large chunks after I heat it up.

Ag76
06-08-2015, 11:43 AM
Here are some instructions and a video from the Lang website you might find helpful:

Tips and Care Instructions

Cleaning, Seasoning and Firing Up Smoker Cooker Instructions

1.First Time Seasoning: Season your smoker cooker with this oil process. Spray cooking area with vegetable oil or PAM (walls, doors, grates, - everything inside the smoker cooker). Fire-up your smoker cooker (step 2 and 3) - pre cook in it by letting the oil sizzle and sear and pre grill for about 35 to 45 minutes or longer. Follow with spray misting water as described in step 4.

2. Fire-Up with Kindling or Propane: Light fire with kindling, (charcoal, fat lighter, Wesson oil soaked paper towel, etc.) or a propane brush burner. Open ALL doors, vents and dampers on the smoker cooker; fire box door, smoker cooker door, flue and smoke stack. If possible bring the nose of the smoker cooker up. Use 4-5 pieces of split, dried hardwood - approximately the diameter of a soda can. Get a large fire going and wait until black smoke bellows out; then close the smoker cooker door to a "propped open" position (i.e. open latch position). When flames come out of the fire box, close fire box door to "propped open" position (i.e. over closed latch).

3.Steam Cleaning Process: When temperature gauge reaches about 300 degrees Fahrenheit, open smoker cooker door and spray/mist water inside on all surfaces with water hose. (This is the steaming process). Then, let fire re-heat to 300 degrees Fahrenheit again and repeat spray/mist process. Steam cleaning inside entire cooking area. Then, add a large piece or two of split wood, close chimney damper to 45 degrees and fire box vents to almost closed, and let cooker "smoke cure" which creates a hardwood smoke glaze. Clean your grill after each cooking.

4.Clean Before Cooking: If you did not clean your smoker cooker after the last cooking, do so now with the Steam Cleaning Process (step #3). If you already cleaned your smoker cooker we recommend a quick misting to clean off any dust. After the grill is hot, spray a little water inside to clean off any dust.

5.When to Season, Fire, & Steam: The Seasoning Process is only done initially. Follow the Firing Mode (i.e. doors open, etc.) instructions every time you fire up your smoker cooker. The Steam Cleaning Process should be done either before or after each barbeque.

6.Remember: The key to consistently smoker cooking delicious food - comes from a clean grill. Heat is what does the cooking; the smoke does the flavoring.

7.For a mobile guide on smoker cooking time and temperatures and stick burner wood charts check out our FREE downloadable Lang BBQ Cooking App.

Things you will need:
Stainless steel version of a wire brush for cleaning cooking racks and a scraping tool for scraping down drip pan. Do These Things And You Will Have The Best BBQ In The World. We Guarantee It!

http://www.langbbqsmokers.com/tips_caring_instructions.html

http://www.langbbqsmokers.com/news_media/videos/howToVideos.html

Bob C Cue
06-08-2015, 12:05 PM
Wow. After reading the Lang instructions I have to take a nap. Glad I can just throw my hooks in the dishwasher after cooking.

AlwaysSmokey
06-08-2015, 12:09 PM
Scrape out all fat and sh*t in the bottom.

My drain in the cook chamber is always open,.....because it's just a farkin hole... lol...I could mod it,.. but it's not needed.

Anyways..... Fire her up. Get to 350. Open cook chamber door up and hit cooking grates with hose quickly. Wire brush, then shut the lid. Repeat until satisfied. Let pit continue to run after final rinsing to dry out.

dadsr4
06-08-2015, 12:50 PM
Dump the ashes and clean the grill.
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa345/dadsr4/Dogs/Working_zps7c01e974.jpg

SD_Smoker
06-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Same as many have said. I run it up into the 300's, quick water spray and wire brush grates. I'll do this 2 times and then let it run until it's out. I'll scrape out the bottom every 2 to 3 cooks. The fire box is cleaned the day after every cook.

markrvp
06-08-2015, 04:46 PM
Scrape out all fat and sh*t in the bottom.

Why do you sh*t in the bottom after scraping out the fat? Seems counterintuitive :biggrin1:

Happy Hapgood
06-08-2015, 05:21 PM
I worked hard for my gunk. You can have my gunk when you can scrape it out of my cold dead WSM.

Of course the grills and WP are another matter. I just set them in the sink and about 1/2 an hour later they are magically clean....funny this only seems to work when the Wife is home for some strange reason.

dport7
06-08-2015, 07:05 PM
http://i60.tinypic.com/n49uvb.jpg

dport7
06-08-2015, 07:07 PM
Really I don't clean mine either.

redwingsphan
06-08-2015, 07:17 PM
Heavy duty foil is awesome. I foil the water bowl and heat sink. Put the grates on the gasser on high then scrape them off. Empty the ash and I'm all done in a few minutes.

Nuco59
06-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Scrape out the chunks, clean the racks and let the smoke roll. If I had a Lang and Mr. Lang were coming by for an inspection, I migh... no- I still would not.

Weberlamp
06-08-2015, 09:29 PM
I clean it by cooking on it again....The only time I "clean" it is if I get some notorious WSM mold on the racks, if that happens, wipe the racks off with wet rag, and then crank the heat for an hour, good as new, the walls have never been cleaned and I dont plan on it.

JonP
06-08-2015, 11:23 PM
Just like this

http://youtu.be/Qe59rbyMBnY

Hell Fire Grill
06-08-2015, 11:42 PM
A clean cooker is a sign of a sic mind...

darkoozy
06-08-2015, 11:42 PM
Clean? Thats valuable seasoning inside the smoker.

I never clean mine (cabinet smoker). I just knock down excess grease build up on the racks only, and then re-spray the interior down with cooking oil to preserve the seasoning and to coat and protect against rusting.

The fire box is dumped out and sprayed down as well.

Thats it...never clean...

My WSM was never cleaned either, just the grates.