PDA

View Full Version : Reheating pulled pork using the smoker

BuckN BBQ
06-07-2015, 03:57 PM
I have a graduation party for my daughter in two weeks and would like to smoke pulled pork for 200 people. I'm thinking 100-120lbs should be enough with buns and sides. I'm looking to smoke the day before pull and put into hotel pans. With that much pulled pork I'd prefer to use the smoker to reheat instead of reheating in the oven or boil bags on the stove. Has anyone ever done this before? Suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

Jason TQ
06-07-2015, 04:31 PM
Since this is a graduation party for your daughter my next sentence might not be applicable, but............Man with that much I'd just cook it early that morning to have ready for later that day.

That's a lot spend time cooking and then reheating. I know you will want to focus on other things that day, but you are going to have it going party day anyways so why not cook it fresh?? Anyone else that can help tend the pit??

RickNE
06-07-2015, 04:46 PM
We just had out Graduation party two weeks ago. I feel for you. It's alot of work and I didn't cook!

I have to agree with Jason. I think the time spent cooling them down only to heat them back up would be unnecessary.

You can hold butts for quite while wrapped up in a warm cooker. I would get them done, wrapped, then back that cooker down to about 150-160 degrees and hold them. If you can find some help that can pull the meat on demand, that would be ideal.

Don't forget to put some nice wood in that cooker for "ambiance" during the party.

nmeyer414
06-07-2015, 04:58 PM
I agree with the above, plus not everybody will be there at one time as they will be coming and going thru out the day?

dport7
06-07-2015, 08:15 PM
That will work, I've done it in the past, It is a little more work moving out chilling and then back in.
If you're concerned with timing then it worth it to do it that way.

Answer is, yes it will work.

Soybomb
06-07-2015, 08:20 PM
100 pounds raw for 200 people is the least I'd consider, 150 wouldn't be overkill. For a graduation party I'd plan for a little more expecting a lot of hungry growing youth ;)

Don't be afraid to employ some friends, and big roasters can be great for holding some hot meat.

Oakswamper
06-07-2015, 08:26 PM
When I do big parties I cook the day before a lot. I use aluminum pans with good lids and reheat @275 for 30 mins. Works out good for me

BuckN BBQ
06-07-2015, 09:18 PM
Thanks all for the good advice.