PDA

View Full Version : Pit Temperature Controllers and Smoke Color

MeatyOakerSmoker
06-05-2015, 10:14 PM
Hello

For those of you using pit temperature controllers be it a guru, stoker, or otherwise... Do you notice any difference in the color of the smoke from your pit? Since I've used my DIY controller I've noticed a whiter smoke and less of the beautiful blue smoke I was getting before. My guess is that's because my UDS wants to burn hotter and I'm choking it to achieve a steady temperature.

It could be one of a hundred other reasons but I was just curious if anyone else noticed this.

Thanks
Sam

SmittyJonz
06-05-2015, 10:59 PM
Just what you said. You are forcing a lower temp and burning dirty or somewhat dirty. Start with less lit coals. Most UDS run so consistent a controller is not necessary anyways.

MeatyOakerSmoker
06-05-2015, 11:10 PM
I started with a Minion Method so I thought I was starting with few lit coals. I have a long cook but two hours in it's still burning dirtier than I'd like.

MeatyOakerSmoker
06-05-2015, 11:11 PM
Oh I should say my UDS is fair consistent but runs hot most of the time. I think that too is common so the controller is trying to keep it low and slow. That's why I think I'm choking it.

SmittyJonz
06-05-2015, 11:14 PM
Wha temp? Charcoal? Water pan? Some charcoal white smokes a lot- water pans and large cuts of meat cause steam that can look like white smoke. My UDS will run white smoke for a few hrs on KBB then clear out. As long as it's not Heavy Harsh smoke it'll be fine. Put your hand over exhaust then smell it? Smell like decent smoke or nasty ?

I cook around 300*'in my UDS and 275* in my stick burners.

Doug Crann
06-05-2015, 11:33 PM
Use a DigiGuru on our XLBGE. No special lighting method. Nothing but Mesquite chunk charcoal. At 225* there is no visible smoke.

MeatyOakerSmoker
06-05-2015, 11:35 PM
I have a lot of meat in that beast. A 15# brisket and a 10# butt. I might even be under estimating the sizes of those hunks of meat. The smoke smells fine. A bit heavy but not harsh. I'm cooking at about 275 near the basket and 225 near the top rack. No water pan. Kingston Competition.

I've never heard this steam and white smoke thing but it makes total sense!

MeatyOakerSmoker
06-05-2015, 11:43 PM
3 hrs in there is no visible smoke. I wonder if it was just the initial combustion of the wood or because true meat went in fairly cold or if it's because the smoker or the charcoal had some moisture burning off or the diffuser has residual fat from the previous cook. Man BBQ has too man variables...

markrvp
06-06-2015, 08:35 AM
I used to notice something similar with my Stoker. My theory is that every time the fan goes off the fire is choked and smolders. My solution was to leave another vent barely cracked open so that there is always at least a little bit of air getting to the fire. Not enough to make the temperature rise above target, but enough to keep the fire from smoldering.