PDA

View Full Version : Another look at boiled ribs

1MoreFord
06-05-2015, 02:22 PM
Just found another thing we're doing wrong. We should be brine boiling our ribs.:tsk: Just think how much money she's made spreading disinformation.:loco:

https://www.yahoo.com/food/brine-boiled-pork-ribs-brining-is-a-technique-that-120535749810.html

Melissaredhead
06-05-2015, 02:30 PM
So it's official.
She's the anti-christ, right?

spider22
06-05-2015, 02:31 PM
Just found another thing we're doing wrong. We should be brine boiling our ribs.:tsk: Just think how much money she's made spreading disinformation.:loco:

https://www.yahoo.com/food/brine-boiled-pork-ribs-brining-is-a-technique-that-120535749810.html
You can try it for the rest of us and give us a report.

Fwismoker
06-05-2015, 02:33 PM
There's so much wrong with that I wouldn't know where to begin. I'd love to have that yo yo eat some ribs I did in 60 minutes out on the cooker. :tsk:

Not seeing all of the "pig honey" bubbling to the surface, the grease and juices dripping all over is frightful. Gray meat should be outlawed by the FDA:mad2: The only gray meat I ever want to see and then again it's not really meat is raw shrimp! LOL

AlwaysSmokey
06-05-2015, 02:38 PM
SO FARKING GROSS !!! .........bleh!!

just like chili's !!!!

Schooly D
06-05-2015, 02:40 PM
One thing to remember is that 99% of home cooks out there are clueless when it comes to BBQ. Most won't buy a proper cooker, and for many that do, don't nearly take it as seriously as the folks on this board. Brine boiling and then cooking over direct heat will work fine for many. But then again, these are the same "fall off the bone" set that prefer their meat that way no matter what others tell them.

I don't advocate crappy cooking techniques, but if it works for ya, knock yourself out. I'll keep doing what I do.

Happy Hapgood
06-05-2015, 03:12 PM
May she get over her sickness soon. Prayers sent.

cirk
06-05-2015, 03:17 PM
My mom boiled country style ribs when I was a kid, the my step dad grilled and sauced them to get a good char. They always turned out great...

Bludawg
06-05-2015, 03:27 PM
I think ole lite in the loafers was lured over from Tony Romas to shoot that.:roll: What 's funny is he had no clue that he was working with ST Louis Cut he thought they where Spares, then he almost had a stroke trying to open up a head of Garlic:tsk: What a Maroon:laugh: At least no crockpots where harmed.

deepsouth
06-05-2015, 03:34 PM
While it's not a technique it would use, I can't beat anyone up for cooking ribs this way. Not everyone owns a smoker and not everyone loves smoke.

jbounds286
06-05-2015, 03:39 PM
There's so much wrong with that I wouldn't know where to begin. I'd love to have that yo yo eat some ribs I did in 60 minutes out on the cooker. :tsk:

Not seeing all of the "pig honey" bubbling to the surface, the grease and juices dripping all over is frightful. Gray meat should be outlawed by the FDA:mad2: The only gray meat I ever want to see and then again it's not really meat is raw shrimp! LOL

what...its 60 minutes now?!

deguerre
06-05-2015, 03:41 PM
I took notes.

Fwismoker
06-05-2015, 03:42 PM
what...its 60 minutes now?! Heck BB can be done in 60 or less...certainly don't need to boil ribs like light loafers. :laugh:

mjpmap
06-05-2015, 03:46 PM
I LOVE ribs slow and low on charcoal. But I have to be honest and say its not my favorite style of ribs. Growing up in a large family, a common meal was the full spareribs in a pot with saurkraut and potatoes simmered all day long. It ain't bbq, but the flavor is out of this world. So, while I wouldn't boil brine just to save time, there are other great ways to eat ribs.

Fwismoker
06-05-2015, 03:49 PM
While it's not a technique it would use, I can't beat anyone up for cooking ribs this way. Not everyone owns a smoker and not everyone loves smoke.

Ok fair enough but then the boilers and the restaurants that boil can't call them BBQ! This gal didn't call them bbq in the video but I bet she still does. Just because you slap BBQ sauce on something doesn't transform them into BBQ.

deepsouth
06-05-2015, 04:06 PM
Ok fair enough but then the boilers and the restaurants that boil can't call them BBQ! This gal didn't call them bbq in the video but I bet she still does. Just because you slap BBQ sauce on something doesn't transform them into BBQ.

wait, the guy didn't call them bbq in the video and a quick search of the page doesn't find the term "bbq" either, so what's the beef??

I agree with you that some people call stuff BBQ when, by definition, it isn't. that doesn't seem to be the case here though.

edit: are we even talking about the same article and video?

jbounds286
06-05-2015, 04:17 PM
why does the meat look so gross after he boiled it? holy crap

jakel
06-05-2015, 04:17 PM
"Just because you slap BBQ sauce on something doesn't transform them into BBQ."

Yes it does but you Need to mix BBQ sauce and liquid smoke then it's real :wink:

Fwismoker
06-05-2015, 04:32 PM
wait, the guy didn't call them bbq in the video and a quick search of the page doesn't find the term "bbq" either, so what's the beef??

I agree with you that some people call stuff BBQ when, by definition, it isn't. that doesn't seem to be the case here though.

edit: are we even talking about the same article and video?

Re read my post...I said "she" doesn't call them BBQ...but probably does otherwise.

deepsouth
06-05-2015, 05:25 PM
Re read my post...I said "she" doesn't call them BBQ...but probably does otherwise.

i'm still confused. is martha stewart the 'she' you are talking about?

Happy Hapgood
06-05-2015, 05:32 PM
i'm still confused. is martha stewart the 'she' you are talking about?

I think he was referring to Brucette Jenner. :tsk:

Stingerhook
06-05-2015, 06:24 PM
So what does the wedding looking ring on his right hand mean? Plus, the ribs look St. Louis not full spares as he claims. I believe he knows Caitlyn.

RevZiLLa
06-05-2015, 06:27 PM
Yeah, she sucks so bad that even MY ribs are good...

They look different to me, but I bet she made some good eats.

Wneill20
06-05-2015, 06:38 PM
That's it! I'm throwing all my smokers in the trash and buying a gasser :)

Nicholasprecision
06-05-2015, 06:49 PM
Well we tried something by slow cooking the ribs in a Dutch oven in the oven and then finish on the kettle. They were great but and after my first time with a smoker, thout shall never go back! 😜

Veets
06-05-2015, 06:53 PM
He should have at least thrown a few drops of liquid smoke in the water...

All things aside, you cook it, you bite it, it tastes good to you, well...enjoy life.

zanna5910
06-05-2015, 07:21 PM
The trick is to fill the pot with the brine, then put the ribs in, then put the whole thing in your smoker. Best of both worlds!

1MoreFord
06-05-2015, 07:30 PM
A bit late returning to my own thread.:oops: Yes, in all fairness the ribs were never called BBQ but they were compared to ribs that had been grilled for the whole cook. However I find the concept of boiling ribs to be so wrong on too many levels. At least, in all fairness, they were boiled in a well seasoned cooking liquid. I only read the directions at work. Didn't get to see the video until just now. My WiFi at work is so slow that it would have taken 30 minutes to watch that short video.:tsk:

Bob C Cue
06-05-2015, 07:35 PM
Final score:
Terrorists 1
BBQ Brethren 0

Bama Ron
06-05-2015, 07:45 PM
I LOVE ribs slow and low on charcoal. But I have to be honest and say its not my favorite style of ribs. Growing up in a large family, a common meal was the full spareribs in a pot with saurkraut and potatoes simmered all day long. It ain't bbq, but the flavor is out of this world. So, while I wouldn't boil brine just to save time, there are other great ways to eat ribs.

I get that, tradition from the old country is beautiful. But you didn't call it BBQ did you? I cook for a living and some people appreciate my commitment,while others want cheap and fast. I serve both, but only the patient ones get BBQ.

sleepsafe
06-05-2015, 07:47 PM
Yeah I saw that, what a joke. The guy cooking didn't know what he was cooking. Said they were spares, looked to be trimmed to St. Louis cut to me. Anyway I won't be boiling any ribs any time soon.:wacko:

Joe Black
06-05-2015, 07:49 PM
I was doing OK until Jake and Veets used that liq**d sm**e term. Actually I have boiled many racks of baby backs, then put them on my aluminum charcoal kitchen. At least I built my fire on one end and opened the lid vent on the other end. Everyone thought the ribs were great. At least as far as I can remember, that was 35-40 years ago before I was initiated into the real world of BBQ. Thanks for age and education.

Fwismoker
06-05-2015, 07:50 PM
Yeah I saw that, what a joke. The guy cooking didn't know what he was cooking. Said they were spares, looked to be trimmed to St. Louis cut to me. Anyway I won't be boiling any ribs any time soon.:wacko:

To be fair St Louis are spare ribs.

HossIsBoss
06-05-2015, 07:56 PM
What 's funny is he had no clue that he was working with ST Louis Cut he thought they where Spares
I know I shook my head when he said that. :wacko:

This was my favorite comment on there.
When you boil your ribs the Terrorists Win!

:laugh:

Veets
06-05-2015, 08:15 PM
I was doing OK until Jake and Veets used that liq**d sm**e term.

I humbly apologize from the heart of my bottom. :icon_wink

But..if you're gonna boil, then do it right and add some liquid smoke.:icon_smile_tongue:

sleepsafe
06-05-2015, 08:32 PM
To be fair St Louis are spare ribs.

True, but they are trimmed spares, and he said he was using spares, but added you could use SL or BB. So it was clear he had no idea what he had.

Veets
06-05-2015, 08:40 PM
True, but they are trimmed spares, and he said he was using spares, but added you could use SL or BB. So it was clear he had no idea what he had.

yeah, I saw that and it was odd.

Methods of cooking and all things aside, it's hard to take a supposed professional seriously when such a glaring mistake is made.

Maybe i'm being a bit too critical but...come on.

So much phoney crap these days.

grantw
06-05-2015, 09:38 PM
Chefs just cook different, bobby flay don't even take on a Bbq champ he does that cause he likes to win

SYBQ
06-05-2015, 09:46 PM

I am ashamed to admit but 40 years ago I would boil my ribs the put them on my gasser and slap on some open pit bbq and thought they were great. Two years ago I would them in a crock pot (good recipe) they were not to bad. Today they really do not stack up to my stick burner but it really is what you can compare it too.

Sean "Puffy" Coals
06-05-2015, 10:41 PM
:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

I'd love to see someone over-dub this video with some truth!

"...we could cook these ribs in a smoker, but we prefer speed over flavor..."
"...see all that great pork flavor that is now floating around in our boil/brine water? We're gonna take all that flavor and drump it right down the sink..."

Get on it, internet!!

TonyT
06-06-2015, 12:25 AM
We need a brethren posse to knock some sense into people like this. He'd be on the brethren's most wanted. "These ribs smell amazing", really? Boiled, gray ribs smell amazing?

pom
06-06-2015, 12:40 AM
I bet she boils her roast potatoes as well!

Crakaveli
06-06-2015, 02:17 AM
"Just because you slap BBQ sauce on something doesn't transform them into BBQ."

Yes it does but you Need to mix BBQ sauce and liquid smoke then it's real :wink:

how about boiling them in liquid smoke?!?!

GSXR883
06-06-2015, 08:33 AM
I just throw up a little in my mouth. I seriously couldn't watch that.

Maylar
06-06-2015, 10:21 AM
The method being presented in the video is about getting ribs done in an hour. The guy says up front that grilling them would normally take all day. And he never claims they're as good as slow smoked, or that it's BBQ.

If you look at Martha Stewart's cooking site you'll see that she also covers the traditional methods of cooking ribs, along with kitchen cooking for folks without a smoker.

I have no problem with this video. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

deepsouth
06-08-2015, 09:54 AM
The method being presented in the video is about getting ribs done in an hour. The guy says up front that grilling them would normally take all day. And he never claims they're as good as slow smoked, or that it's BBQ.

If you look at Martha Stewart's cooking site you'll see that she also covers the traditional methods of cooking ribs, along with kitchen cooking for folks without a smoker.

:clap:

Fwismoker
06-08-2015, 09:59 AM

I don't see anything wrong with it either besides it makes me want to vomit.