PDA

View Full Version : Bandera bullet?

SmokeInDaEye
10-18-2006, 02:01 PM
I just got a nice deal on a "used" bullet smoker to add to my cooking capacity while I save for something much, much bigger next year.

It's a New Braunfels water smoker with 4 removable shelves, bars for 12 different shelve settings and 3 hooks for hanging meat. It is about 4.5 feet tall. Figured I could add a couple more shelves and use it for ribs. As an added bonus, it came with an unused copy of Smoke & Spice.

The biggest issue I can see is that there is only one door for accessing meat and adding charcoal, but it's shouldn't be a big deal for a shorter cook like ribs, IMO. Has some rust on the inside but I can clean that out with a wire brush and season it properly.

I can't find anything on this model online and I don't think it has been made for a couple years. Anyone every seen or used one?

http://b.im.craigslist.org/GP/un/6G5SQEoteNNNJ1oTGjjj7mu4xyAU.jpg

Mark
10-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Yup, It's been a few years. I seed it at Wally World. Bout $100 ta $150.

My idea is to add an external firebox. I never did it. Figured what I had was better.

Whatcha pay?

Smoker
10-18-2006, 02:34 PM
Paint a smiley face on it and put a hat on it.

SmokeInDaEye
10-18-2006, 03:11 PM
Yup, It's been a few years. I seed it at Wally World. Bout $100 ta $150.

My idea is to add an external firebox. I never did it. Figured what I had was better.

Whatcha pay?

$50, not including the price of a hat and smiley face paint.

Smoker
10-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Looks like u got a great deal.

ApronGuy
10-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Looks like the took the diamond smoker, knocked the legs and firebox off and turned it on it's side.

Just turn your head sideways.

Westexbbq
10-18-2006, 07:04 PM
I think it'll work.
Great score for $50 bucks;
Being from L.I., just curious- where you are finding these types of things?
86 the smiley face, though,
imho.

MilitantSquatter
10-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Nice score Clint !!!

Just let us know what time the ribs will be done and will call it a party !!

SmokeInDaEye
10-18-2006, 10:27 PM
I think it'll work.
Great score for $50 bucks;
Being from L.I., just curious- where you are finding these types of things?
86 the smiley face, though,
imho.

Just keeping an eye on local ads, ebay, craigslist, etc. Still waiting for a deal on something big on wheels with a trailer hitch but looks like I'll be breaking in a little rib cooker instead this winter (with a rack for Militant S as requested)...:mrgreen:

SmokeInDaEye
12-16-2006, 05:03 PM
So I finally got my new "rib cooker" home today and am heating it up now.

It doesn't seem like it had ever been used, though there is a fine coating of rust on the interior so I used a wire brush on it and coated it in oil. Should be good as new after a few smokes.

I don't actually have anything to cook in it tonight but may run to the store and pick up some sausages or something. Shame to waste all that space!

Now maybe one of you Bandera owners can explain to me how the hook things work for the holes in the shelf brackets? I can't figure them out. I used two to hold the water pan a little better, but thought maybe they are to lock the shelves in place so they can't tip? Should have taken a closeup of them.

rookiedad
12-16-2006, 06:25 PM
hey Clint,
that thing is interesting. what diameter are the shelfs? is the charcoal off the bottom of the pan? is it opened at the bottom, around the pan? i can't really tell from the photo.
phil

SmokeInDaEye
12-16-2006, 06:54 PM
The bottom of it is open and the charcoal pan sits on three little brackets, with about an inch opening around to let air in. Charcoal is just sitting in the bowl, very similar to how the inexpensive bullet smokers are set up.

Unlike those ones, though, it is sealed tight up, has heavy duty (Bandera-like) construction and hardware, and has a large adjustable vent on the top.

Shelves are roughly 15". I added a 15.5" shelf at the top which fit snugly. Looking around now at some water smoker mods to see if I can do anything with the charcoal pan to ease access and/or improve airflow.

Added bonus: They threw in a copy of Smoke & Spice (never opened) :biggrin: and a cover, though that seems to be too tight.:sad:

chad
12-16-2006, 07:12 PM
Now maybe one of you Bandera owners can explain to me how the hook things work for the holes in the shelf brackets? I can't figure them out. I used two to hold the water pan a little better, but thought maybe they are to lock the shelves in place so they can't tip? Should have taken a closeup of them.

Those are probably sausage hooks. The holes are for the hooks that look kinda like a shepherd's crook. They hold links or rings of sausage "vertically" instead of having to lay them on the grates. At least that's what I think you are asking about!!

SmokeInDaEye
12-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Those are probably sausage hooks. The holes are for the hooks that look kinda like a shepherd's crook. They hold links or rings of sausage "vertically" instead of having to lay them on the grates. At least that's what I think you are asking about!!

Here's a pic. I think the sausage hook is the one on the right. There's only one. But then I have about 6-8 of the oddly shaped hooks on the left which I have no idea what to do with.

swamprb
12-16-2006, 08:01 PM
I saw one like that a few months ago, never used, but it was an electric model and they couldn't find the power cord. It had a New Braunfels logo in red on the door. They didn't know anything about it and wanted $100, I passed! Looks like you got a good deal, keep us posted, I'm always trollin' CL.

qman
12-16-2006, 09:25 PM
Clint, the little "oddly shaped things" are shelve supports. At the front of the cooker, by the door, you have brackets with holes in them. the long leg of the support goes in one of the holes, from the top, and reaches the hole in the next bracket down. the remainder of the support then becomes a little spot for the shelve to sit on.

If you have the original round shelves, and do not use these supports, the shelves will fall off the brackets. Trust me.

SmokeInDaEye
12-17-2006, 12:51 AM
Clint, the little "oddly shaped things" are shelve supports. At the front of the cooker, by the door, you have brackets with holes in them. the long leg of the support goes in one of the holes, from the top, and reaches the hole in the next bracket down. the remainder of the support then becomes a little spot for the shelve to sit on.

If you have the original round shelves, and do not use these supports, the shelves will fall off the brackets. Trust me.

Thanks, qman. The original shelves were definitely close to slipping off their brackets at all times. I will give it a shot once the cooker cools tomorrow. It's definitely not a perfect piece of equipment but with some minor mods, I think I can do some damage with this thing!:wink: